Invalid Return Error

Hi um I keep get an error that says “ChapterIIIA invalid return; gosub has not been called yet”. Can someone please tell me what that means?

I believe, you have a *return unpaired somewhere.

I have gone through every single line

Here is the code. If you can spot it then please point it out.

*label xrayscene1

*label loop5
*fake_choice
#“So what exactly are the FLOODRUNNER’s?” lily asks me.
“FLOODRUNNER’s are the result of a war that happened long before our galaxy formed. They are a cross between a parasite and a humanoid species. There are many different forms but all FLOODRUNNER’s are considered as SEIRRA class threats.”
*goto loop5
#“Okay and what does a Seirra level threat even mean”? lily asks
“A seirra class threat is capable of threatening all living things in the galaxy.”
*goto loop5
#“What would happen if a seirra class threat were to be discovered on our planet?” lily asks
“The actions taken to deal with a seirra class threat would depend on how long it took to be discovered. Normally the entirety of my homelands armed forces would be mobilized to deal with it. However, if it was discovered several years after it started it would require my people cratering nearly half the planet to deal with it, or several thousand years of endless wars.”
*goto loop5
#“Exactly how do your people deal with Seirra level threats?”
“We do whatever we have to, to ensure the survival of the entire planet. If that means having to destory entire planets then so be it. My people take our oath to protect this planet extremely serious.”
*goto loop5
#“How do the FLOODRUNNER’s spread?” lily asks
“They spread by capturing living beings and keeping the hostage in the cacoons at the end of the tentacles on their back. Once in the cacoons the creature that was captured has their DNA slowly changed to the point that they start to transform into a FLOODRUNNER themselves. It is an extremely slow and painful process. Even if the captured creature dies during the process they still become a FLOODRUNNER.”
*goto loop5
#“I have no more questions.” lily says

*label lilyscene1

“You want to join me?” I ask lily

“Why would I not? You saved my life and showed me that this world is in grave danger. If I do not help you stand against this threat. Then who will. I would rather fight and die by your side than go home and wait for the entire world to fall to the FLOODRUNNER’s. If there is anything that I can possibly do to prevent that, then I will do it.” Lily says with conviction shining in her eyes.

“If I do let you join me and fight by my side, you will have to under go intense training.”

“I figured that I would have to under go some form of training in order to fight by your dise in the field of battle.” lily says

“The training you will under go will not only push you to your limits but far beyond them. You will know pain like no other. You will be broken mentally, physically, and spiritually.”

“If it means getting to serve by your side I would gladly endure it all.” lily says

“By choosing to fight by my side. You will be required to sever all ties to your past, and swear loyalty to myself and my people. You will swear to defend us, and our children with your entire being no matter the cost. Are you okay with that?”

“Of course I am okay with that. I will do all I can to ensure that you and your people are always around to defend this planet.” lily says.

“Very well. I will permit you to join me, but you are not to engage the FLOODRUNNER by yourself. If you find it before me, you are to try and reach my side as quick as you can. If you are not able to then you are to keep running and put as many obsticles between it and you. Is that clear?”

“Very clear Sir” lily says.

*return

*label lilyscene2

“No”

“What why?” lily asks

“Because you will not stand a chance against the FLOODRUNNER’s, Let alone surviving the training that is involved with fighting by my side.”

“YOU THINK I CANNOT HANDLE THE TRAINING???” Lily yells at me.

“if it was just that then I would not have rejected you.”

“Then what other reasons do you have?” lily asks

“You will have to sacrifice your past, your present, and your future, in the name of the rest of the planet. You would have to kill your own family if it meant saving the rest of the planet. To fight by my side is to bring dishonor upon your family and friends.”

“I do not care about that. I still want to fight by your side.” lily says

“Alright then. You may join me. But you are to stay close by at all times.”

“YES SIR” lily says with a salute.

‘She has no idea what she has gotten herself into.’ I think to myself as we continue to search for the FLOODRUNNER.

*return

*label ChapterIIIA

Chapter III

THE FIRST RECRUIT

After I sent the floodrunner flying I wasted no time in tracking it down knowing that someone was bound to come across it eventually. Even with my peoples heightened senses it still takes me a good ten minutes to actually find the thing. Apparently I had sent it flying in the direction of the school. Hopefully no one actually went to investigate it.

Once I arrive at the crash site, I notice that there are multiple sets of tracks in the debris field.

‘Looks like the floodrunner got its claws on some living beings. Whether or not they are my classmates is unclear from how trampled this place is. One thing is certain though. There was around six people or beings that were caught in the crash zone.’ I think to myself as I continue to observe the area around me for any signs of the floodrunner.

RUSTLE…RUSTLE

‘Looks like I am not alone after all.’ I think to myself

RUSTLE…RUSTLE

“COME OUT AND YOU WILL NOT BE HURT!” I shout to whoever or whatever is hiding nearby.

A young lady in a torn regual looking dress crawls out from a nearby bush.

“Please do not hurt me. I… I am just try trying to ge… get back home.” The young lady says.

“Relaxe I am not going to hurt you. In fact I will help you get home in exchange for some information.” I say while signling for the young lady to come closer.

“You will?” The young lady asks in an uncertain tone.

“Yes I will. But I will tend to your injuries. Is that okay?” I say

“Okay… but no funny business promise?” She asks in a cautious tone.

With her permission I slowly approach and bend down over her legs. I carefully run my hand up and down the back of both of her legs feeling for any bones that might be broken, fractured, or strained. It only takes me a few seconds to find a fracture that has started to form in the bone of her right leg. The bone in her left leg felt like it was ready to break at a moments notice if not repositioned correctly. Her achilies tenden had been torn and rendered her entire right foot useless which would explain why she was crawling her way home.

“You done yet?” The young lady snaps at me.

“Yes and I have to say you are exteremly lucky that you are even in as little pain as you are.”

“What do you mean by that?” The young lady asks.

“What I mean is that you have torn your achilies tendon in your right leg, your right leg is starting to fracture, and the bones in your left leg are going to break soon if not repositioned properly. I can heal your injuries but it would be very painfull.”

“Well just don’t stand there. Start healing me you spiritual monk.” The young lady says obviously upset at having to ask for help.

“Alright I will heal you but you need to answer my questions in return. Okay?”

“Yes Yes just heal me already.” She snaps

*label loop4
*fake_choice
#Exactly what were you doing out here?
“What did I come here for? Hmmmm? That is a very good question. Why did I come here? I am sorry but I cannot seem to remember”
*goto loop4
#Where are you from?
“I am from the Earldom of frost in the Ice kingdom. Do you know where we are?” The stranger asks. We are currently in the forest of Ice in the life kingdom. If you really are from the Earldom of frost than you must have been lost for at least two months." I say while I treat her torn achilies tendon.
*goto loop4
#How did you get out here?
*goto loop4
#What is your name?
“I am Lily. Daughter of Earl Kris and Kristien Frost of the Earldom of Frost in the Ice Kingdom, and who might you be?” Lily asks. “I am $!{Codename} it is nice to meet you Lily of Frost.” I say before continuing to heal her.
#Do you remember anything about what lead you to be hear?
“I… I remember going for a stroll around my family’s estate and then nothing. Well at least until I woke up here that is. Do you know what happened to me?” Lady Lily says looking in my direction.

“It may have been the person that I saw in one of the cacoons of the creature I was fighting earlier in the day.”

“And what creature was that”? Lily asks.

“You would not have heard of it but, if you must know it is called a FLOODRUNNER.” I say as I get started on healing her partly fractured bone.

“Can you tell me more about them?” Lily asks.

“What do you want to know about them”?

“Where do they come from, what do they look like, are they handsome like you? Everything basically.” Lily says with a slight gleem in her eyes.

‘Hmmm, it seems as if she really wants to learn more about the hidden things in this world. Should I trust her with the knowledge of my people’s existance’?

Will you tell her the information she wants to know?
*fake_choice
#“Alright I will tell you about the FLOODRUNNER’s”
“Alright” Lily says before wrapping her arms around my neck.
*set xray %+30
*set lily true
*gosub xrayscene1
#“I think it is better that you do not learn more about FLOODRUNNER’s”
“And why might that be? Is it because I am a girl”? Lily asks. “No it is because I do not want to put you in anymore danger than you are already in.” I say before finishing healing her at an urgent pace. ‘I might be able to catch up with the FLOODRUNNER, if I can lose this girl.’ I think to myself.
*set xray %-15
*set lily false

“Good now if you do not mind I have to track down a FLOODRUNNER, before it destroys all life in the galaxy.” I say before starting to walk away.

“Do you need any help?” lily asks

“No, you should go home and pray that it does not find you again.” I say over my shoulder. Before pointing Lady Frost in the direction of the ICE kingdom and set out in pursuit of the FLOODRUNNER I had sent flying earlier.

‘The damage to the trees would suggest that the FLOODRUNNER must have landed right here. Now where could it have gone?’ I think as I look over the destroyed tree grove for any signs of which direction the FLOODRUNNER went.

‘If the teachings of my kin are accurate then the signs that a FLOODRUNNER passed through an area include: trees that have been uprooted and appear to have been clawed in half by a bear, polluted sources of water, and an adnormally high amount of triocid in the local atmosphere.’ I look around the crushed grove and check off each of the signs of a nearby FLOODRUNNER. ‘Trees that appear to be clawed in half. Check. Polluted water source. Not present due to there being no lake and/or stream for the FLOODRUNNER to pollut. That means that I will have to rely on the triocid in the atmosphere to track this thing down.’ I think as I grab the triocid meter from one of the pockets that cover my uniform.

I turn on the triocid meter and set it for a range of two and a half miles before starting to take the first of several readings to determine which direction the FLOODRUNNER went.

A small satalite dish emerges from the top of the device and begins to emit a high pitched whinning sound as it takes the data p0oint. The first data point will show just how low the amount of triocid in the atmosphere had gotten over the past seven days, the second reading will show the highest amount of triocid in the atmosphere withing the last seven days, A third reading is taken which is set to the minimum safety lavel of 106 mircrsieverts. The triocid meter then takes all three readings and averages them out over a seven day period. This average is what tells us if the amount of triocid in the local atmoshpere is higher or lower than normal. The action that my kin take determined by the combined average of the three readings.

BING BING BING

“Alright now that the first reading is done, I can take a look at it and start the second reading shortly. Now then what is the lowest the triocid levels have gotten to during the past seven days was 90.5 microsieverts. Now all I need are the last two readings and that will give me the average levels of triocid in the last seven days.” I say to myself after starting the second test.

Unlike the first test I put the triocid meter on the ground and take a few steps back from it. This is so it can pick up on as much triocid in the surround area as possible.

‘I wonder if the triocid level will be above 206 microsieverts per hour. If it is then I will not need to run the third test depending on how far above the max thresh hold it is.’

BING BING BING

‘It appears that the second test is done. Now then lets take a look at just how high the triocid level has been in the last seven days.’

I pull up the data chart function first then pull up the results of the second reading. I quickly enter the microsieverts level and proceed with the third and final test.

‘Alright this last test will take a baseline reading of the triocid levels in the area. Once that is done, all I have to do is average out the three data points and that will tell me whether or not a FLOODRUNNER passed through here recently.’

*page_break

Several minutes later

BING BING BING

‘Whoever decided to make the triocid meter take several minutes to get the baseline reading was either insane or very very drunk. The baseline reading will always be 106 microsieverts per hour so there is basically no point in it taking a third reading in the first place.’ Ithink to myself as I look over the three numbers.

‘Okay the first test result showed that there was a level of 100 microsieverts per hour in the area over the course of the past seven days. Not good but not bad either.’ I think before checking the second result.

‘The result of the second test is 2965 microsieverts per hour. That alone confirms that a FLOODRUNNER passed through this area recently. And the third data point is 106 microsieverts per hour. When I add all three of the data points up I get 3,171 microsieverts perhours. I then divide by three which will give me the average of all three numbers. I then divide that number again this time by seven so as to account for the past seven days. That brings the daily average level of triocid to 352.33 microsieverts per hour. That is way over the max safety limit that my people set. Which means that the FLOODRUNNER is still around here somewhere’.

“Pardon me I was wondering if I would be allowed to join you?”

*if (lily=true)
*gosub lilyscene1
*if (lily=false)
*gosub lilyscene2

“Um pardon me for asking but why exactly are FLOODRUNNER’s so dangerous?” lily asks.

“You mean besides the fact that they have already conquered several galaxies?” I ask in response.

“Yeah, besides that.” lily says

“The FLOODRUNNER’s are dangerous because they do not just conquer whatever is in their path, they also have a tendency to consume the heart of whatever planet or galaxy they have just conquered there by getting rid of any possible chance of life ever returning to that planet or galaxy.”

“So how did your people get involved with them?” lily asks

“You heard of the interkingdom wars right?”

“Yes why?” lily confirms

“Do you know how the war was brought to an end?”

“Not really since the way it ended depends on who you ask. But all versions say that the two armies joined forces to face a greater threat that showed itself in the final battle of the war.” lily states

“Not quite. You see the two armies did join forces, but not to destroy a new threat. They joined forces because it was the only way they would survive.”

“How do you know that?” lily asks

“My people were the ones that ended the war.”

“So you know what really happened at the final battle?” At this point I could see the curiosity in her eyes.

“Yes, and I will tell you once we have dealt with the FLOODRUNNER.” I say before continuing to walk in silence.

*page_break

‘The FLOODRUNNER must be moving awfully fast if we have not caught up to it yet’. I think to myself

“SIR, are you sure that the FLOODRUNNER came this way? We have not seen any si— AAAAHHHHH.” is all I manage to hear before lily disappears into a hole in the ground that I had not spotted.

“YOU OKAY?” I yell down into the hole after looking around for any signs of a threat.

“YEAH, I AM OKAY… THOUGH I THINK I FOUND WHERE THE CREATURE WENT!” lily yells back from the bottom of the hole.

“ALRIGHT STAY THERE I AM COMING DOWN!” I yell back before jumping into the black ink that hides the true depth of the hole.

*page_break

SEVERAL MINUTES LATER

THUD… SMACK

“groan”

‘Hmmm the hole was deeper than it looked. Seems like we will have to find another way out of here once the job is done.’ I think to myself as I stand up and start to dust my uniform off.

“Pardon me… but could you please dust yourself off somewhere else?” a voice says from under me. Looking down I see that I am standing on top of lily. ‘So thats what I landed on.’ I think to myself before quickly stepping off of her and helping her stand up.

“Come on the FLOODRUNNER is not much further.” I say before continuing the persuit.

“Do not worry about me I am just fine.” lily says in a sarcastic tone.

“Good then get moving. the longer we delay the more time the thing has to get away from us.” With that we lapse into a somewhat tense silence.

“CRRRREEEEEAAAAK”

“GROOOAAANNN”

Drip… Drop… Blop…

Drop… Blop… Drip…

Blop… Drip… Drop…

‘Water… down here. that does not make any sense considering that we must be thrity odd miles under the surface. Then again this is not my homeland.’ I think to myself as lily and I turn down a passage in the cave we found ourselves in.

“AAAAAHHHHHHHH”

“What is wrong lily?”

“I think I saw a human bone.” She says in a shakey voice.

My eyes shoot wide open upon hearing those words

It also keeps going to the first choice in the file when it is not suppose to.

gosub *choice 1206#2 (line 1210)
• I can run the unknown person through.
• ★ Or I can change course.

‘I cannot hurt the innocent person that is trapped in that cacoon. I have to change course. It will not be easy while traveling at 100 mph, but I can still pull it off.’ As I run towards the cacoon I slam my sword into the ground burying it up to its hilt in the dirt and rock. The sudden friction yanks my sword arm back allowing me to narrowly avoid the cacoon and its inhabitant. With my path clear I procceed to cut off the creatures remaining limbs and cacoons before sending it flying with a punch to its chest.

ChapterIIIA *choice 3#2 (line 7)
• “So what exactly are the FLOODRUNNER’s?” lily asks me.
• ★ “Okay and what does a Seirra level threat even mean”? lily asks
• “What would happen if a seirra class threat were to be discovered on our planet?” lily asks
• “Exactly how do your people deal with Seirra level threats?”
• “How do the FLOODRUNNER’s spread?” lily asks
• “I have no more questions.” lily says

You’re using *return in both lily_scene1 and lily_scene2

*return is used to go back from a *gosub which you haven’t used which is where the error comes from.

No lily_scene two is a completly different scene that is dependent on the players choice

Please paste your code in Preformatted text as indentations aren’t visible.

1 Like

and how do I do that?

This is at the end of lily_scene1 you haven’t used *gosub to get to lily_scene1 so you shouldn’t use *return

That is because it is starting in a scene it is not suppose to start

*if (lily=true)
*gosub lilyscene1
*if (lily=false)
*gosub lilyscene2

Press this and paste your code between the ``

thanks

*label xrayscene1

*label loop5
*fake_choice
 #"So what exactly are the FLOODRUNNER's?" lily asks me.
  "FLOODRUNNER's are the result of a war that happened long before our galaxy formed. They are a cross between a parasite and a humanoid species. There are many different forms but all FLOODRUNNER's are considered as SEIRRA class threats."
  *goto loop5
 #"Okay and what does a Seirra level threat even mean"? lily asks
  "A seirra class threat is capable of threatening all living things in the galaxy."
  *goto loop5
 #"What would happen if a seirra class threat were to be discovered on our planet?" lily asks
  "The actions taken to deal with a seirra class threat would depend on how long it took to be discovered. Normally the entirety of my homelands armed forces would be mobilized to deal with it. However, if it was discovered several years after it started it would require my people cratering nearly half the planet to deal with it, or several thousand years of endless wars."
  *goto loop5
 #"Exactly how do your people deal with Seirra level threats?"
  "We do whatever we have to, to ensure the survival of the entire planet. If that means having to destory entire planets then so be it. My people take our oath to protect this planet extremely serious."
  *goto loop5
 #"How do the FLOODRUNNER's spread?" lily asks
  "They spread by capturing living beings and keeping the hostage in the cacoons at the end of the tentacles on their back. Once in the cacoons the creature that was captured has their DNA slowly changed to the point that they start to transform into a FLOODRUNNER themselves. It is an extremely slow and painful process. Even if the captured creature dies during the process they still become a FLOODRUNNER."
  *goto loop5
 #"I have no more questions." lily says

*label lilyscene1

"You want to join me?" I ask lily

"Why would I not? You saved my life and showed me that this world is in grave danger. If I do not help you stand against this threat. Then who will. I would rather fight and die by your side than go home and wait for the entire world to fall to the FLOODRUNNER's. If there is anything that I can possibly do to prevent that, then I will do it." Lily says with conviction shining in her eyes.

"If I do let you join me and fight by my side, you will have to under go intense training."

"I figured that I would have to under go some form of training in order to fight by your dise in the field of battle." lily says

"The training you will under go will not only push you to your limits but far beyond them. You will know pain  like no other. You will be broken mentally, physically, and spiritually."

"If it means getting to serve by your side I would gladly endure it all." lily says

"By choosing to fight by my side. You will be required to sever all ties to your past, and swear loyalty to myself and my people. You will swear to defend us, and our children with your entire being no matter the cost. Are you okay with that?"

"Of course I am okay with that. I will do all I can to ensure that you and your people are always around to defend this planet." lily says.

"Very well. I will permit you to join me, but you are not to engage the FLOODRUNNER by yourself. If you find it before me, you are to try and reach my side as quick as you can. If you are not able to then you are to keep running and put as many obsticles between it and you. Is that clear?"

"Very clear Sir" lily says.

*return

*label lilyscene2

"No"

"What why?" lily asks

"Because you will not stand a chance against the FLOODRUNNER's, Let alone surviving the training that is involved with fighting by my side."

"YOU THINK I CANNOT HANDLE THE TRAINING!!!!?" Lily yells at me.

"if it was just that then I would not have rejected you."

"Then what other reasons do you have?" lily asks

"You will have to sacrifice your past, your present, and your future, in the name of the rest of the planet. You would have to kill your own family if it meant saving the rest of the planet. To fight by my side is to bring dishonor upon your family and friends."

"I do not care about that. I still want to fight by your side." lily says

"Alright then. You may join me. But you are to stay close by at all times."

"YES SIR" lily says with a salute.

'She has no idea what she has gotten herself into.' I think to myself as we continue to search for the FLOODRUNNER.

*return

*label ChapterIIIA

[b]Chapter III[/b]

[b][i]THE FIRST RECRUIT[/i][/b]

After I sent the floodrunner flying I wasted no time in tracking it down knowing that someone was bound to come across it eventually. Even with my peoples heightened senses it still takes me a good ten minutes to actually find the thing. Apparently I had sent it flying in the direction of the school. Hopefully no one actually went to investigate it.

Once I arrive at the crash site, I notice that there are multiple sets of tracks in the debris field.

'Looks like the floodrunner got its claws on some living beings. Whether or not they are my classmates is unclear from how trampled this place is. One thing is certain though. There was around six people or beings that were caught in the crash zone.' I think to myself as I continue to observe the area around me for any signs of the floodrunner.

[b]RUSTLE...RUSTLE[/b]

'Looks like I am not alone after all.' I think to myself

[b]RUSTLE...RUSTLE[/b]

"COME OUT AND YOU WILL NOT BE HURT!" I shout to whoever or whatever is hiding nearby.

A young lady in a torn regual looking dress crawls out from a nearby bush.

"Please do not hurt me. I... I am just try trying to ge... get back home." The young lady says.

"Relaxe I am not going to hurt you. In fact I will help you get home in exchange for some information." I say while signling for the young lady to come closer.

"You will?" The young lady asks in an uncertain tone.

"Yes I will. But I will tend to your injuries. Is that okay?" I say

"Okay... but no funny business promise?" She asks in a cautious tone.

With her permission I slowly approach and bend down over her legs. I carefully run my hand up and down the back of both of her legs feeling for any bones that might be broken, fractured, or strained. It only takes me a few seconds to find a fracture that has started to form in the bone of her right leg. The bone in her left leg felt like it was ready to break at a moments notice if not repositioned correctly. Her achilies tenden had been torn and rendered her entire right foot useless which would explain why she was crawling her way home.

"You done yet?" The young lady snaps at me.

"Yes and I have to say you are exteremly lucky that you are even in as little pain as you are."

"What do you mean by that?" The young lady asks.

"What I mean is that you have torn your achilies tendon in your right leg, your right leg is starting to fracture, and the bones in your left leg are going to break soon if not repositioned properly. I can heal your injuries but it would be very painfull."

"Well just don't stand there. Start healing me you spiritual monk." The young lady says obviously upset at having to ask for help.

"Alright I will heal you but you need to answer my questions in return. Okay?"

"Yes Yes just heal me already." She snaps

*label loop4
*fake_choice
 #Exactly what were you doing out here?
  "What did I come here for? Hmmmm? That is a very good question. Why did I come here? I am sorry but I cannot seem to remember"
  *goto loop4
 #Where are you from?
  "I am from the Earldom of frost in the Ice kingdom. Do you know where we are?" The stranger asks. We are currently in the forest of Ice in the life kingdom. If you really are from the Earldom of frost than you must have been lost for at least two months." I say while I treat her torn achilies tendon.
  *goto loop4
 #How did you get out here?
  *goto loop4
 #What is your name?
  "I am Lily. Daughter of Earl Kris and Kristien Frost of the Earldom of Frost in the Ice Kingdom, and who might you be?" Lily asks. "I am $!{Codename} it is nice to meet you Lily of Frost." I say before continuing to heal her.
 #Do you remember anything about what lead you to be hear?
  "I... I remember going for a stroll around my family's estate and then nothing. Well at least until I woke up here that is. Do you know what happened to me?"  Lady Lily says looking in my direction.

"It may have been the person that I saw in one of the cacoons of the creature I was fighting earlier in the day." 

"And what creature was that"? Lily asks.

"You would not have heard of it but, if you must know it is called a FLOODRUNNER." I say as I get started on healing her partly fractured bone.

"Can you tell me more about them?" Lily asks.

"What do you want to know about them"?

"Where do they come from, what do they look like, are they handsome like you? Everything basically." Lily says with a slight gleem in her eyes.

'Hmmm, it seems as if she really wants to learn more about the hidden things in this world. Should I trust her with the knowledge of my people's existance'?

Will you tell her the information she wants to know?
*fake_choice
 #"Alright I will tell you about the FLOODRUNNER's"
  "Alright" Lily says before wrapping her arms around my neck.
  *set xray %+30
  *set lily true
  *gosub xrayscene1
 #"I think it is better that you do not learn more about FLOODRUNNER's"
  "And why might that be? Is it because I am a girl"? Lily asks. "No it is because I do not want to put you in anymore danger than you are already in." I say before finishing healing her at an urgent pace. 'I might be able to catch up with the FLOODRUNNER, if I can lose this girl.' I think to myself.
  *set xray %-15
  *set lily false

"Good now if you do not mind I have to track down a FLOODRUNNER, before it destroys all life in the galaxy." I say before starting to walk away.

"Do you need any help?" lily asks

"No, you should go home and pray that it does not find you again." I say over my shoulder. Before pointing Lady Frost in the direction of the ICE kingdom and set out in pursuit of the FLOODRUNNER I had sent flying earlier.

'The damage to the trees would suggest that the FLOODRUNNER must have landed right here. Now where could it have gone?' I think as I look over the destroyed tree grove for any signs of which direction the FLOODRUNNER went.

'If the teachings of my kin are accurate then the signs that a FLOODRUNNER passed through an area include: trees that have been uprooted and appear to have been clawed in half by a bear, polluted sources of water, and an adnormally high amount of triocid in the local atmosphere.' I look around the crushed grove and check off each of the signs of a nearby FLOODRUNNER. 'Trees that appear to be clawed in half. Check. Polluted water source. Not present due to there being no lake and/or stream for the FLOODRUNNER to pollut. That means that I will have to rely on the triocid in the atmosphere to track this thing down.' I think as I grab the triocid meter from one of the pockets that cover my uniform.

I turn on the triocid meter and set it for a range of two and a half miles before starting to take the first of several readings to determine which direction the FLOODRUNNER went.

A small satalite dish emerges from the top of the device and begins to emit a high pitched whinning sound as it takes the data p0oint. The first data point will show just how low the amount of triocid in the atmosphere had gotten over the past seven days, the second reading will show the highest amount of triocid in the atmosphere withing the last seven days, A third reading is taken which is set to the minimum safety lavel of 106 mircrsieverts. The triocid meter then takes all three readings and averages them out over a seven day period. This average is what tells us if the amount of triocid in the local atmoshpere is higher or lower than normal. The action that my kin take determined by the combined average of the three readings.

BING BING BING

"Alright now that the first reading is done, I can take a look at it and start the second reading shortly. Now then what is the lowest the triocid levels have gotten to during the past seven days was 90.5 microsieverts. Now all I need are the last two readings and that will give me the average levels of triocid in the last seven days." I say to myself after starting the second test.

Unlike the first test I put the triocid meter on the ground and take a few steps back from it. This is so it can pick up on as much triocid in the surround area as possible.

'I wonder if the triocid level will be above 206 microsieverts per hour. If it is then I will not need to run the third test depending on how far above the max thresh hold it is.'

BING BING BING

'It appears that the second test is done. Now then lets take a look at just how high the triocid level has been in the last seven days.'

I pull up the data chart function first then pull up the results of the second reading. I quickly enter the microsieverts level and proceed with the third and final test.

'Alright this last test will take a baseline reading of the triocid levels in the area. Once that is done, all I have to do is average out the three data points and that will tell me whether or not a FLOODRUNNER passed through here recently.'

*page_break

[b]Several minutes later[/b]

BING BING BING

'Whoever decided to make the triocid meter take several minutes to get the baseline reading was either insane or very very drunk. The baseline reading will always be 106 microsieverts per hour so there is basically no point in it taking a third reading in the first place.' Ithink to myself as I look over the three numbers. 

'Okay the first test result showed that there was a level of 100 microsieverts per hour in the area over the course of the past seven days. Not good but not bad either.' I think before checking the second result.

'The result of the second test is 2965 microsieverts per hour. That alone confirms that a FLOODRUNNER passed through this area recently. And the third data point is 106 microsieverts per hour. When I add all three of the data points up I get 3,171 microsieverts perhours. I then divide by three which will give me the average of all three numbers. I then divide that number again this time by seven so as to account for the past seven days. That brings the daily average level of triocid to 352.33 microsieverts per hour. That is way over the max safety limit that my people set. Which means that the FLOODRUNNER is still around here somewhere'.

"Pardon me I was wondering if I would be allowed to join you?"

*if (lily=true)
 *gosub lilyscene1
*if (lily=false)
 *gosub lilyscene2

"Um pardon me for asking but why exactly are FLOODRUNNER's so dangerous?" lily asks.

"You mean besides the fact that they have already conquered several galaxies?" I ask in response.

"Yeah, besides that." lily says

"The FLOODRUNNER's are dangerous because they do not just conquer whatever is in their path, they also have a tendency to consume the heart of whatever planet or galaxy they have just conquered there by getting rid of any possible chance of life ever returning to that planet or galaxy."

"So how did your people get involved with them?" lily asks

"You heard of the interkingdom wars right?"

"Yes why?" lily confirms

"Do you know how the war was brought to an end?"

"Not really since the way it ended depends on who you ask. But all versions say that the two armies joined forces to face a greater threat that showed itself in the final battle of the war." lily states

"Not quite. You see the two armies did join forces, but not to destroy a new threat. They joined forces because it was the only way they would survive."

"How do you know that?" lily asks

"My people were the ones that ended the war."

"So you know what really happened at the final battle?" At this point I could see the curiosity in her eyes.

"Yes, and I will tell you once we have dealt with the FLOODRUNNER." I say before continuing to walk in silence.

*page_break

'The FLOODRUNNER must be moving awfully fast if we have not caught up to it yet'. I think to myself

"SIR, are you sure that the FLOODRUNNER came this way? We have not seen any si--- AAAAHHHHH." is all I manage to hear before lily disappears into a hole in the ground that I had not spotted.

"YOU OKAY?" I yell down into the hole after looking around for any signs of a threat.

[i]"YEAH, I AM OKAY... THOUGH I THINK I FOUND WHERE THE CREATURE WENT!"[/i] lily yells back from the bottom of the hole.

"ALRIGHT STAY THERE I AM COMING DOWN!" I yell back before jumping into the black ink that hides the true depth of the hole.

*page_break

[b]SEVERAL MINUTES LATER[/b]

THUD... SMACK

"groan"

'Hmmm the hole was deeper than it looked. Seems like we will have to find another way out of here once the job is done.' I think to myself as I stand up and start to dust my uniform off.

"Pardon me... but could you please dust yourself off somewhere else?" a voice says from under me. Looking down I see that I am standing on top of lily. 'So thats what I landed on.' I think to myself before quickly stepping off of her and helping her stand up.

"Come on the FLOODRUNNER is not much further." I say before continuing the persuit.

[i]"Do not worry about me I am just fine."[/i] lily says in a sarcastic tone.

"Good then get moving. the longer we delay the more time the thing has to get away from us." With that we lapse into a somewhat tense silence.

"CRRRREEEEEAAAAK"

"GROOOAAANNN"

Drip... Drop... Blop...

Drop... Blop... Drip...

Blop... Drip... Drop...

'Water... down here. that does not make any sense considering that we must be thrity odd miles under the surface. Then again this is not my homeland.' I think to myself as lily and I turn down a passage in the cave we found ourselves in.

"AAAAAHHHHHHHH"

"What is wrong lily?"

"I think I saw a human bone." She says in a shakey voice.

My eyes shoot wide open upon hearing those words`Preformatted text`

Just spotted that. Let me have a closer look now you’ve posted the formatted code :slight_smile:

Thanks

This *return is the problem I believe because you haven’t called it.

The solution is this (I think)

#"I have no more questions." lily says *gosub lilyscene1 *goto lilyscene2

You are using *fake_choice which means

This will skip to lilyscene1 and there is an — as of yet — uncalled *return.
Using the *gosub lilyscene1 and gosub lilyscene2 will achieve the same result without giving you the error.
@AMER1CANN1NJA09

NO lilyscene1 and lilyscene2 are two different scenes.

*if (lily=true)
*gosub lilyscene1
*if (lily=false)
*gosub lilyscene2

what would you like to happen after the player clicks ‘“I have no more questions.” lily says"’? because right now there are not "goto"s under the choice, so the game moves right on to the following scene below it: “lilyscene1” I think that’s the issue

*if (floodrunner=“true”)
*goto_scene ChapterIIIA
*if (floodrunner=“false”)
*goto_scene ChapterIIIB

Instead of starting at label ChapterIIIA it starts at the top of the entire file. How do I prevent it from starting at the top of the file?

*return will throw an error if your code reaches that command without first having been through a *gosub or *gosub_scene.

So you are reaching either the *return in lilyscene1 or 2 naturally (i.e. through the linear progression through code), rather than being directed there.

As @lunehare says, the batch of code above Lilyscene1 does not have its own *goto, so it will linearly move on to lilyscene1 and therefore not arrive at the *return via a *gosub

@AMER1CANN1NJA09 - to start at a specific file, use *goto_scene
e.g. *goto_scene chapter1 Introduction_label

1 Like