Into The Shadows WIP Demo (Chapter 3 Update 18/06)

I am a Nome now reading a good story I’m having too much fun reading it’s the best way to relax

The excitement I felt when I saw the update is unparalleled! I really love your descriptions and style of writing. It teleports me straight into the world and strikes the perfect balance between keeping me interested and informed, without being overwhelmed or a little bored.

And that isn’t very easy.

Can’t wait for the next one! I’m a huge fan, if this is published I’m buying it on the app and Steam.

2 Likes

Hello! I’m glad you loved meeting R :slight_smile: As for your questions…well, why indeed? You’ll just have to find out. :wink:

And I’m glad you enjoy K as a friend, I really do want to make the friendship routes as compelling as the romance :heart:

SJDHJS don’t worry, that’s what multiple save files are for! You’ll meet another RO in the childhood home route too, don’t worry.

Ohh thank you for sending that, I’ll get it fixed asap!!

5 Likes

Thank you so much, this was so nice to read and I’m glad you feel this way about my writing :pleading_face::two_hearts: It’s always something I worry about, balancing the heavy text that comes with establishing context with ensuring the reader doesn’t get bored, so this was a relief to hear.

The next update ought to be soon, because I can’t wait to get started on it too. Thank you for your support :heart:

8 Likes

Missing the a in ancient.

Good stuff so far!

3 Likes

Thank you! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Really cool premise :grin: I like that I can rp exactly who I want to rp, the amount of choices is enormous and all the combat and checks skills are condescend and don’t cause clutter (like having “wits” and “intelligence” separately). Looking forward to playing more!

2 Likes

I AM OBSESSEEEEEEED :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: LOVE THE WRITING. I normally hate characters like ronan and make it a point to not deal with them, ever, but hoo boy, is he an exception. I could see myself actually truly hating him to enjoying our little spats, and eventually being friendly while still smack talking lol. I really like the way the feelings are articulated, it always kinda breaks my immersion from the story if the characters don’t feel stuff like a real person should, you know? I like to self insert in IFs and its such a relief to have choices that I would actually say and do, so i think you got a good range of possible choices.

3 Likes

@Mango_Pirate Thank you! I’m glad you think so. It’s really important to me that the customisation and choices feel seamless, even while I try to make them as varied as possible. So that means a lot to hear.

@Elsee I’m glad Ronan proved to be an exception for you! And that’s great that you enjoy the choices, makes all the effort coding them worth it :pleading_face:

6 Likes

Yes! loved the update! <3

1 Like

Im not sure if I’m interpreting the passage right but in the train scene with K as they are approaching their home town I chose to have my MC not have any problem with returning home but what I noticed was almost a contradiction of the MCs thoughts on the return home. Where they say they are excited to see their hometown again quickly followed by them saying that they would rather be anywhere but there? Am I not interpreting it right or is this a coding error? Im sorry I tried inserting a screenshot but my phone wouldn’t let me.

Hi there! Sounds like it could be a coding error since there’s a variable that tracks MC’s thoughts about going home.

Thanks for letting me know! I’ll look into fixing this :blush:

4 Likes

Interesting so far!

1 Like

This game is awesome! I don’t really have any helpful feedback to give but I just wanted to comment that the premise is so interesting and the demo is really well-written. I’m always skeptical when there’s a large-ish variety of ROs since I find that usually the more ROs there are, the less fleshed out they’ll be. Just based off of K and the super short scene with R alone I can tell that that’s definitely not the case here!

I love your characterizations, and I am super excited to meet the rest of the cast of the game. I have a feeling I’m going to have a hard time choosing a RO (because they’re all gonna be so great). Normally I’m not really into the childhood friends to lovers trope, but K is so great so far that I’m ready hop all aboard that train. Seriously, they’re the best. Also, I love how you added the option to let us choose our relationship with K, I love that I can adjust it to fit my angst needs :).

8 Likes

Always asking to myself “why I’m always drawn to this dangerous people???”
Firstly Damien, and now Ronan…Can I have them both please :sob::joy:

2 Likes

@hyperops Thank you so much! I appreciate you stopping by to let me know you like the game, and I’m glad it subverts your expectations of other games with a large-ish cast of ROs :smiley: It’s great to know my characters read well, even just based on the few interactions with them so far.

And well, I hope to make it a difficult choice :wink: Glad you’re enjoying the K relationship options too!

@Elden_The_Trickster The heart wants what it wants, I guess! Hope you’ll enjoy more of them when they show up again!

10 Likes

Dammit Troy… Why do I always fall for the rude ones :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I enjoyed this a lot- engaging, interesting, intrigued to see where it was going. I’ve enjoyed the interactions I’ve seen so far, and I appreciate the variety in ROs. It seems like each relationship would feel very distinctive.

One thing I noticed. When you’re given the choice to describe your hair length, the choices refer to a short haircut as a pixie cut. That works for a female MC, but not so much for a male one. Not really a big deal- I wouldn’t be surprised if it never came up again- but still felt off to me.

3 Likes

@joe_g7 haha, I’ve been getting this for R Troy a lot! :wink:

@Guntram Thank you! I’m glad you’re enjoying the game and the ROs so far :slight_smile:

I actually offered two short hairstyles for MCs who prefer those, and I’d rather not limit hairstyles to the MC’s chosen gender. Will it help to offer more short hair options instead, so that everyone’s tastes are covered?

1 Like

Small update: I’m in the middle of working on Chapter Two, and it’s coming along very nicely! Will like to get your input on some matters, if possible.

Will you all prefer I do a major rewrite after certain intervals i.e. (every three chapters) which include adding more variations, stats, and content, or do a major rewrite only after the public demo is fully completed?

This is because such rewrites would likely kill old saves, so you guys would have to replay from the beginning.

Would love to know what you all think!

• Rewrite at intervals
  • Rewrite after public demo is complete

0 voters

10 Likes