Interest Check Thread

It’s a possibility! I haven’t fully decided what options race wise the player can choose for the MC, but it’s definitely one of the several I am considering.

1 Like

I like this idea. I don’t think it sounds too similar but maybe if u wanted to err of the safe side maybe have it where our MC can actually join or try to join the rogue vampire but either get caught by the organization or get away & then if they get caught they’re forced to work w/ the organization but if they get away they can choose to work w/ the rogue or work w/ the organization

2 Likes

I haven’t read WayhavenC, nor plan to anytime soon,
*ducks incoming tomato and other lethal projectiles
but do you have any specific storyline you’d like to write in mind? I’m up for brainstorming. Also feel free to PM.

4 Likes

I think it sounds like a cool idea and if you’re excited about it, I definitely think you should write it. :slightly_smiling_face:

From what you’ve described, it doesn’t sound too similar to Wayhaven. Vampires, hidden societies of supernaturals, and secret government agencies maintaining the masquerade are common elements of urban fantasy.

As for making it your own, I’d suggest thinking about what’s been done before (in Wayhaven or elsewhere) and adding/changing up some details. Maybe your vampires fly or can telepathically communicate with bats or have irises that get darker the longer they go without feeding. Don’t be afraid to get creative; vampires are all about being extra. Extra-dramatic, extra-violent, extra-sparkly—if a vampire’s going to do something they’re going to be over-the-top about it.

TVTropes is a great starting place for inspiration and you might check out their So You Want To guides:

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for the support, I for some reason had in my head that my post was gonna get absolutely roasted.

I think I’m gonna move forward by doing some world building until I feel comfortable getting on with the story, so once again thanks everybody for giving me some sound writing advice.

2 Likes

Do we have to be a vampiere? I’d rather be a wherewolf! or a wndigo.

1 Like

I’m writing it more like an interactive novel than your average CoG game, so there isn’t really enough room for deviation on the character’s species level.

That does sound like a fun idea though! I don’t think I’ve ever read something with a wendigo as the main character.

1 Like

@L0G1C @DontJudge Thx guys, and it really isn’t too hard for me but I’m not your average person, best wait until you’ve already completed one game before you go for two protagonists :v:

2 Likes

I want the reader to be immersed into my book series I’m working on which is why I dove into Choices, I’m new to this so I haven’t quite figured out how to code it yet, which isn’t important just yet. I do want the reader to include some relationships such as parents, spouse/significant other, sibling, cousin, and idk possibly aunt or uncle or something or if it’s not too much of a headache (which it already seems like just one is going to be) I’ve released my first book in my series and it is about zombies, well with the interactive fiction I am including back story to some pivotal characters (main ones later in the series) in the actual book so the reader really feels included into this world.

Main story line point is going to be trying to get back in touch with your family member(s) but also telling a gripping story at the same time which leads to despair and if your family member is a SO if you end up moving on with a NPC it will cause even more problems. I want the reader to eventually find at least one of the family members so they actually have a real connection, but would it really be worth it? Any opinions. input, or even tips on how to go about this is more than welcomed.

4 Likes

I was just thinking about a COG type thing geared towards kids, something to help them learn reading, writing, etc. don’t know if that’s where you were headed with the “goofy kindergarten” idea or not. But something educational but fun would be nice. I home school my kids and even an entertaining story where they could learn stuff would be nice. I actually had an idea for a children’s book called the princess and the pig where it teaches kids important things like not judging people based on their looks etc.

3 Likes

I’m unsure when or even if I will start making it, but I had a concept in mind for quite a while. For some clarification - I’m a fan of monsters; Godzilla, kaiju, horror monsters, etc etc. Love em. This concept will relate to monsters.

The setting is a modern world, though there are weapons we would not see in our world in this one. Such weaponry would probably be touched upon later. The MC however, is human…sort of. The idea is that as the game goes on further, the MC becomes less and less ‘human.’ As I mentioned before about liking monsters, the MC is…well right now I’m unsure of what the MC exactly is, but I like to believe kaiju/monster shapeshifter. The catch being that the MC doesn’t really do this willingly, since transformations aren’t painless. The other catch being that the MC is studied upon, since they were ‘created’ in a lab.

The MC was born human, but also does not recall most of their human life. Or rather before they were turned into what they were now. I’m debating leaving their human backstory up for discussion (as in I won’t touch upon too much of it) or add some details in here and there.

I plan for ROs, but not in the traditional sense. There won’t be too much romance, but it won’t be forgotten about, either.
The setting, aside from the era it takes place in would mostly be in a lab and fictional city.

And even then despite being a lab the MC’s life won’t be misery and pain, either. You’ll probably notice the other characters may have different viewpoints of the MC and their ‘situation’. You can try and make friends with others, or maybe you’d rather attempt to eat people. Emphasis on ‘attempt.’ In short it’ll be a game about the relations you form with the characters, the progression of the MC into eventual ‘monsterhood’ and such. It’ll probably be a complex game but I want to touch up more on the concept later and hopefully build on it to make it a real game.

I’m also new to this…so it might be a while.

20 Likes

I would be interested in reading this and finding out what happens to our MC

2 Likes

Noice, I was actually having the same idea, the transforming MC and giant monsters I mean.

I’m looking forward for your work, it could have good pointers for me. Lol.
Good luck.

3 Likes

I’m DOWN for this idea! If you are working on it then keep it up! If it’s an idea I’d like to give some sergestions.

2 Likes

I don’t know if anyone will actually care or see this but I tried writing this thing and I am waaaay to embarrassed to make a thread about it because I think it’s really bad and well I need some sort of opinion because i have spent too much time on it now to just delete it without anyone ever seeing it even if it’s awful. It’s really unedited and just a sketch and I hate it a lot but if you’ve read this far I seriously need an honest feedback. :confused:
https://dashingdon.com/play/skit/underneath-a-sullen-moon/mygame/

13 Likes

Atleast for me it was an awesome demo and I would love to see it in a thread

2 Likes

I enjoyed and can’t wait to see more. I did notice a few spelling errors where u used i instread I but otherwise it was a good demo

2 Likes

Alrighty, I think you’ve got a stellar foundation for a good story, but there are a few things I want to point out.

putting it in a summary cuz i typed too much

• The exposition on the second page is extremely long-winded. The third paragraph contains so much unnecessary information that can be condensed to just one of two examples and then a catch-all to end it.

• I don’t really… know who the MC and Oliver are? The only description we’re given is that they’re runaways and lost their families (and that the MC had a crush on Amy, though it’s a first draft so I’ll let that slide). MC seems to be very tech-savvy, though it’s never pointed out as a skill of theirs, moreso that it’s just a regular thing. Evelyn also hasn’t done much at all in the first chapter beyond being the recipient of a rather lustful-sounding description (MC is 19 and from what I gather the setting is mildly post-apocalyptic, so she sounds far too perfect.)

• Like the exposition, a lot of your descriptions can drag on a little. The first paragraph in the Prologue had my head spinning right off the bat with the tech language that I’m sure a lot of people won’t understand. Tech language aside, sentences like “bathed in the warm sun rays of the sunset” can easily be shortened to “bathed in the warm sunset”.

• MC doesn’t need to recite their dream in full. I’d have been much more interested if I’d witnessed the dream itself in a sort of interlude chapter.

This is a little nitpicky but why is Strength the only stat with its opposite? Will being physically weak have some sort of effect besides failing physical tasks? :thinking:

Anyway, it’s late and I just wanted to push this out for you because despite the issues I’d like to see more of this! There’s nothing to hate about your work; people will be more receptive to it if you can give yourself praise.

6 Likes

Oooh that’s a wall of text, I’m more likely to read a story with less text but i read it anyway. A lot of the text was either unnecessary information or dragged out explanations.

I’ve done the same thing multiple times best advice I can give is to read through what you’ve already written and ask yourself what’s absolutely important for the player to know? Anything else can be put in a glossary in the stat screen page for players to read over.

Another this is that it’s impossible to pass the checks given during the demo unless you choose the elephant or the magic fox at the first choice considering choosing anything else will cause you to fail both checks and right after that choosing one of those choices end the game. This makes me feel like I have to choose those choices just to squeeze into the already narrow box to continue.

Azide from that, I actually like what I’ve seen so far and I encourage you to keep going. Ill check back from time to time. :ok_hand::+1:

2 Likes

Okay this is a lot more nerve-racking than I thought it would be but here goes:

Hello! So I’ve been going back and forth for a while on what kind of game I wanted to write and I think I found an idea that would work for a first timer. I’ve got some of it written up but I’m not entirely happy with the length yet, and I’m still gathering up the nerve to put something out there to begin with because I’m always super nervous about sharing anything I made, so sorry about that.

Anyway, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to see whether there’d be much interest in the game I’m writing, and if yes, to ask for some opinions on what to include.

Basically the story is a slice of life in which the MC is a highschool student (16-18, player’s choice) from the sort of small town where everyone knows everyone, where you can go for a leisurely stroll and not see another person for the entire walk, and where everyone greets each other in passing because it’d just be rude not to. After their school is forced to shut down due to the lack of students at the school, and because there were no viable alternatives nearby, the MC has to move in with their estranged father in the capital.

Because it’s a slice of life, and so doesn’t have any sort of grand “save the world” plot, the story will be more focused on the characters and their relationships to eachother. Family, friendship and romance will all play a major part in the story. In fact, they pretty much are the story, in some ways.

Some important themes are:

• Family: can the MC manage to maintain their close relationship with their mother and grandparents when they live so far apart, or will they gradually lose sight of each other? Does the MC try to build a bond with the father they barely know, or hold an open grudge towards him? And can the MC mediate between their parents and their father and grandparents so those relationships are healed, or does the MC simply not bother?

• Love: in their hometown, the pool of potential dating prospects was incredibly low. In the city, it expanded significantly. Will the MC finally be able to have some sort of dating life, or are they good staying single?

• School: the MC goes from having one class per year group to suddenly attending a school with hundreds of students, a strict hierarchy and significantly less control from teachers which leads to exclusion and bullying issues that are rarely noticed by school staff. Will the MC make it through in one piece, or fall victim due to their differences?

• Culture shock: will the MC find happiness within the privacy of a large city after growing up in such a tightknit community, or will the amount of people and the lack of connections to those masses make them lonely and miserable? Can the MC adjust to a wild city life when the most exciting thing to happen in their hometown was a karaoke night with the average age being 40+, or are they completely overwhelmed?

As I said, I’ve already started writing the first chapter but it’s still early enough that I can change or add things if needed. So for those who might be interested at least right now after reading this, I have a few questions:

First off: the setting is fictional but kind of inspired by various kinds of anime because apparently, cartoony is the only way I can envision a highschool life that doesn’t just 100% suck. Right now, I’m using English names for everyone but I’m kind of on the fence about whether that’s a good idea or not. The story will feature some typical tropes found in anime, and of course anime tends to lend pretty heavily from Japanese culture and customs, so I’m worried about a clash where the player’s MC is merrily skipping through the cherry blossom trees with their slice of watermelon and wearing a yukata only to run into their friend Bob. I mean, that’s a bit exaggerated, but you get my point. The story’s not set in Japan though, and I won’t use any -chans or -san’s, refer to things with Japanese words or have the MC run to school with a piece of toast sticking from their mouth (didn’t actually know that was a thing until I read it on here somewhere) or anything. So yeah, on the fence about it. Any opinions?

• Use Japanese names
  • Use English names
  • Use more unconventional names (Sky, Rain, etc…)
  • Use Japanese and unconventional names
  • Use English and unconventional names
  • Other? (Please specify?)

0 voters

Secondly: what are some love interests you would like to see? Personality, appearance, it’s all welcome! Because it’s partly anime-inspired, feel free to go wild. I’m not aiming for total gritty realism even if the story does have some more serious topics it deals with.

And finally: what sort of options would you want to see for the MC’s personality? I probably can’t include every personality type under the sun, but I do want players to be able to play a variety of different personalities that change how the rest of the cast reacts to them and potentially opens up new side stories.

Any other questions or comments are welcome. Thanks for reading, and now I’ll go prepare myself in case my (potential) baby has a face only a parent could love. :rofl:

21 Likes