Interest Check Thread

“No mercy route” eh, well then we better be ready for “a bad time” if you know what I’m saying.

Megalovania intensifies

Next thing you know everyone will be running from a sakallation who is around the same height as a 7 year old kid

I mean, with all the stories here, that might as well happen.

You kind of can’t make a game with multiple endings and not think of Undertale, now can you? :sweat_smile:

Yeah

I am flirting with idea of of game as spiritual Father during Communist persecution trying keep your spiritual children and flock alive along with the Holy Tradition.

I’m looking for excuses to imply that Dark Matter is mana/chi/chakra in the game I’m working.

For science nerd out there, is there anything I need to look out? AFAIK, DM is a hypothetical matter to fill in the gaps in our knowledge; since without it, certain phenomenon in our universe shouldn’t be the way as it is right now (and this is pretty much how I understand it).

Why Dark Matter instead of Dark Energy?

Joking aside, I’m unsure how to encourage readers to draw that kind of assumption outside of a very science-fiction setting. In that sort of setting, readers may discard normal magic sources as “not fitting the setting,” and may begin to look for a scientific or pseudo-scientific explanation for the phenomena. Outside that sort of setting, I fear most readers will go straight to “it’s just magic, why worry?” and ignore any possible connections to exotic (real) physics. I have seen readers jump to these kinds of conclusions, but only in relation to sci-fi media.

Can you tell us any more about your worldbuilding?

Edit: Additional thoughts:

• It might be helpful if none of the characters with significant screen time understand the effect well enough to explain it, because that will give you an excuse to write about them guessing. You can use those in-character guesses to hint without confirming.
  • The in-game effect should probably relate, at least tangentally, to the hypothesized effects of the real thing.
    • Dark matter is hypothesized to be an exotic form of matter that interacts with gravity… and nothing else (nothing else we can interact with, that is). So to encourage audience guessing, maybe a character or device that can control it could move it around like a physical object, but its presence is only revealed by changes in gravity? Readers might start guessing “black hole!” though.
    • Dark energy is hypothesized to be an exotic form of energy accelerating the expansion of the universe, while being otherwise unobservable. So to encourage audience guessing, maybe a character or device that can control it distorts “the fabric of spacetime”?

Be warned drastic oversimplification inbound:

All matter is made of atoms atoms are made out of protons, neutrons, and electrons.
Here’s where things get interesting, protons, neutrons, and electrons are all made from pure energy.
When we think, move our hand or anything else it is energy telling other energy what to do, we are sentient energy.
So in theory manipulating energy outside of our body should be possible (Mana/chi/chakra), maybe “dark matter” in you game’s universe acts as a medium/channel/“middle man” between us and the energy outside our immediate selves/body?

I’m considering writing a game in the epistolary style, but before I got too heavily involved in it, I wanted to see if anyone would even be interested in playing such a game.

An epistolary fiction refers to something that is written in the style of letters, diary entries, articles, etc. Examples include Dracula, The Color Purple, Screwtape Letters, Carrie, and the Perks of Being a Wallflower. If there was a hosted game that was written in this style, would anyone be interested in reading it?

I wouldn’t say no to this genre right off the bat, but I’ll be honest and say I can’t really imagine what this would look like as a piece of interactive fiction. Would the MC be the writer or the reader? I suppose there are a lot of moving parts and a lot of different ways this could be approached. I suppose the question is, what does this genre bring to IF and vice versa? I’d try a WIP like this to at least find out!

To be entirely honest I’m not sure how it would work either! I had started thinking about that almost a year ago, wondering if this writing style could ever be translated to this medium. I think it would be difficult but it might be a fun twist to explore.

It’s a lot of effort and work for something that may not actually succeed though, and I am fearful of trying to do it only to fail in finding an audience willing to try it

My piece of advice would be to come up with your story first. In this case, the story shouldn’t really depend on the form (e.g. letters/diaries). You could tell any story this way. Then make a short demo, see if it works for you. If you like it, share it! If you don’t think the form works very well for IF, then you can just convert it to a more traditional IF story. It can’t hurt to try :slight_smile:

I do have a story in mind, and it’s one I think will work best in the epistolary format. It’s why I’ve been thinking about this so much! Unfortunately the specific story I have in mind, if it doesn’t work in this style, I don’t think I’ll be able to write as a traditional IF story. Thanks for the feedback on it! I may actually try this out

I hate to say it, but a short demo would make it much easier to give a definitive opinion. I personally love epistolary fiction, though.

Good point, @Minnow. Never thought about it, readers being “it’s just magic. Why the bother?” Haha, now I’m not sure should I even worry about it.

@Dartknight As for atoms being made from energy, is there any chance this is related to Big Bang theory and Einstein’s E=mc2 (mass that turns to energy to keep atom’s nuclei from disintegrating)? I personally never thought that human body is basically energy manipulating other energy (and I don’t think I’ll get that far in my story, eheh). I’d say that your input gives me insight on how my evil power corrupts the world, so appreciate it. :sparkles:

I recently thought of this as I browse some astrophysics stuff on the net. Since I originally planned the mana to be some sort of “mysterious universal energy” that can be found in the entire part of universe, I find DM to be somewhat fitting to that description (or maybe Dark Energy, in this case, I guess).

The goal I imagined is simply to go full fantasy in my setting. And then, somewhere in the middle, a genius-scientific-character-X will make a reference to Dark Energy, implying DE is mana. It’s simply to poke fun to readers who understand it, like giving you moments to fanboy your inner nerd.

This is the snippet of my worldbuilding

The setting is primarily science-fantasy; a mix of sci-fi and classic fantasy magic. You can imagine it as The Witcher universe or Dragon Age, but as a twist, I might go full-out on how a watermill works (throwing out scientific terms on it: potential energy, effeciency ratio, elevation, area of contact, mass vs. torque, friction to “terminal rotation,” etc.). Ah, I figured that this will eventually seep out in my writing as you’re asked to repair a mill and then boasted about how you improved its performance by adding…

Oh, yeah. You will start your character as a street-urchin who spends most of their time by sneaking into the town library before a mysterious man takes you to go travelling around the region with him. This way, I can give a justification on how come your character is low-key genius. Oh, and I won’t be adding INT as stat.

I’m a fantasy boi at heart, so the story will be basically “adventure in a fantasy world.” But I’d also call myself a science nerd, though I prefer practical-science over theoretical-science.

Perhaps it’s important to note that, in the vein of “science and magic” theme, there’ll be two cult-like organizations in my world: the Magus, and the Scient. They’re what you think they’re, and currently, I write them as two rivaling organizations that somewhat despise each other.

Vitally important, earth-shattering question with near-infinite philosophical ramifications:

What color(s) should dragons be? Especially if we’re talking about not the classic European lizard-bat type dragons.

…I’m asking for a friend. :dragon:

I’m going for more natural earthy tones in my story. (But with more colourful parts too, because they have feathers…)

It depends on the type of dragons, the setting, what impression you want the dragons to give, etc.

Oriental dragons are usually depicted with green/teal-ish scales. I’m not a Chinese myself, so I can’t say why/how it should be that way.

But if you want to color-code your dragons, you can tie certain human emotions to the color wheel (and this isn’t limited to dragons, either).

Take MTG color-pie for example.

Summary

There’re 5 colors in the pie. In clockwise: White-Blue-Black-Red-Green. Each color have two opposites and two allies, as the pie dictates. This create unique rock-scissor-papers in terms of power, interaction, and general theme of each color. Here’s a link for further reading.

Or Avatar:TLA for a simpler example.
(Water) Blue is balance and perfection.
(Earth) Green/Brown is patience and willpower.
(Fire) Red is active and aggressive.
(Air) White is freedom and expression.

I’ve begun work on my first game! Unfortunately, I’m not far enough to make a demo or anything :p.
Awhile back I made a poll on whether I should make a Sci-fi Colonization game or a game where your a King (Can’t quite remember what it was exactly). Finally, I’m making the Kingdom game.
I’ve completed like 5% of it so far, aka the prologue, stats, etc.
I’m not sure if I want it to be in Hosted Games, or just be a stand-alone free thing.
I should probably discuss the plot.
The last king was killed whilst fighting an army of viscous warriors, called the Black Legion. As he died, he sent his newborn child and his closest advisor through a secret tunnel so that they could survive. He informs the advisor to tell the boy of his lineage and why his father died. (This is the prologue). When the game starts, your just a farm boy who’s about to be taken on his first hunting trip.