Interest Check Thread

HII GUYS, TODAY I WAS READING MY FAVOURITE COG “THE WAYHEAVEN CHRONICLES” AND AN IDEA HIT ME.

I THOUGHT THAT FROM DEEP WITHIN WE ALL WANNA WRITE FOR COG BUT DUE TO SOME REASONS( NO FREE TIME, LACKING ABILITIES ETC) WE ARE NOT ABLE TO.

SO, WHY DONT WE START A TOPIC IN WHICH WE WILL CHOOSE A GENRE AND WRITE A STORY ABOUT IT. WE ALL FREE TO USE OUR IMAGINATION AND WRITE THE NEXT PART OF STORIES.AFTER A CERTAIN PERIOD A PANNEL OF FEW COG WRITTERS WILL PERUSAL OVER ALL THE COMMENTS AND CHOOSE THE BEST COMMENTS AND WRITE THE WIP OF THE STORY CREATED BY US ALL.

( It is just a raw idea.I know there is lot to work about abd decide… But looking forward to all of yours feedbacks and suggestions :grinning:).

2 Likes

Their gender/sexuality is customizable, but that’s about it.

1 Like

Yes, they do have weaknesses, which are exploited by humans to keep them in check. There really aren’t that many of them out there, so I’d say the normal people definitely have an advantage when it comes to numbers.

1 Like

I am not into science fiction/futurism at all, but the options you want to implement have me super intrigued! Cult leader origins, hell yes. I would love to control an involuntarily happy civilization

1 Like

Hello, folks. I believe I’ve said this somewhere a long time ago, but I’m working on a classic RPG, greatly inspired from FFClassic.

The premise is pretty simple: Chosen Ones, Ancient Ones, and adventure shenanigans.

Prophecies foreshadow the descending of Old Gods to our land. They said if we don’t stop them, the Gods will spread corruption throughout the world, tainting the very soul and essence of life and death.

That’s why humanity must work together and prepare for the inevitable chaos. Heroes will be summoned from every corners of the land. It’ll be our job to support them, for the sake of our own survival.

But let’s be real. You’re here for adventure! Not this shitty being a sidekick for a randos that we don’t even know shit about. In the end, after the long slumber, the world will be reborn, the prophecy said. Whatever that means.

So shout your fellows, don your armors, explore the ruins, and slay the evil beasts! The Journey is about to begin.

So, yeah! That’s as far as I can tell without any spoiler. I can cram in more details after I make a WIP thread of it, but for now, let’s see if I’m successfully tickle your interest nerve.

Any questions? I’ll answer.

5 Likes

Can I get the genres? I’m still kind of confused on the premise.

1 Like

What will the tone of this story be?
Since it sounds quite light hearted and slightly comical from the way you described it.

1 Like

It’ll be a classic text-RPG. If you’ve played/read any FFClassic works, or Lone Wolf saga, that’s the style I’m aiming for.

As for genres… hmm, there’s a lot if I think about it, but the core is action-adventure with exploration. You know, exploring old ruins, fighting gobbos, and a bit of swordfighting and fire-slinging. Yes, magic is included.

Edit: I’ll add that the premise is basically medieval-fantasy RPG. While wizards sling their spells, men swing their weapons, and nobles handle their drama, you’re just a ragtag misfit which happens to get a lucky fortune.

@LordNanachi I’m trying to be comical, but it’s so hard to write the tone! The setting can be dark and serious, but you can take it not-seriously. I like contradicting myself, see.

So, yeah, pretty lighthearted
*whistle whistle :kissing: :notes:

5 Likes

I wish you luck here; I don’t write comedy well at all … most likely because I lack a sense of humor (or so everyone tells me) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hmm, ok.
I like the idea of being a hardass though.
Some games I reaaaaaally don’t like since in situations that should be serious it just never is and the characters only options of dialogue are like 8 random and just plain silly ones when at times I found myself begging to just have an option of “Ok”
So if you can successfully appeal to both crowds or make a light hearted novel that is a proper good fun read I will be quite pleased.
Best of luck to you, but remember if doing two is too hard or causes a drop in quality of one another or the whole product don’t bother.
Just think of that one quotes that’s like
“A hunter that goes after two rabbits catches neither”

1 Like

I’m with @Eiwynn in that I can barely write comedy (I have a terrible sense of humor), heh. That said, I’l be interested to see how you achieve this balance of a serious setting but a light-hearted narrative!

4 Likes

Hi I’ve been on this forum for a while and I’ve even posted several wips which The Drifter I’m still working on I’ve hit writers block especially since I ve been thinking of this new idea especially since it relates to my occupation. So here it is.
First to Fight: A Marine’s Tale
Set in a fictional world you have joined the Auckland Republic’s finest fighting force it’s Marine Corps. As a Cold War develops between the Republic’s Allies and The Slavic Cynicalist Union, in the aftermath of the Great War; the Republic is forced to beef up it’s military to stop the threat of Cynicalist by conscripting into it’s armed forces. Were you drafted or did you join out of patriotism among other reasons? Survive the mental and physical ordeals of bootcamp to only be whisked away to fight in a proxy war in
a far off land that could in reality start the next Great War?
So please tell me ur thoughts and if u would play this

3 Likes

Hi! I recall seeing a few interest checks/WIPs with wars/military-themes, so I think it’d be good for you to think about how to make your game stand out. As it is, I’m not that clear on what to expect aside from it being a military/soldier book. So:

What will the main plot be? What is the ‘far off land’ and why is a war going on there? For what reason are we, the MC, drafted to fight in this place when it isn’t our ‘homeland’? Details about what started the war, the lore your world is set in, the enemy, the army, etc will be great! Those will give us a clearer picture of what your story will be about :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hii, guys I hope you all are excited about the upcoming game of thrones series.I am creating a WIP based on game of thrones with all its qualities( specially making it a big game).

I am starting this topic to do general discussion on Game of thrones and also to talk with you all and hear all your opinions on how I may proceed in making the game.

4 Likes

You should probably do two posts separating the two. One on the TV show thread about game of thrones in general: https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/tv-shows-movies/1120/480
And leave the post on game of thrones based choice game idea on here.
(Btw a Choice game based on game of thrones sounds great but not too based on it.)

4 Likes

Yes so for some lore. About ten years ago one of the most climatic events; the Great War ended. While there were many fronts to this war your nation, The United Republic of Auckland tried to stay neutral until it’s far East Fleet was almost destroyed in a sneak attack by the Empire of Naipon. When Auckland declared war, Naipon’s Allies the Czarist Rodina and Gaullacia who had been raging the fires of war on the continent of Omeria for a few years declared war on Auckland. Auckland did get involved in the Omerian Conflict but focused most of it’s resources on Naipon and after 3 years of naval battles and island campaigns and another year of horrendous blockade and the largest invasion in history the Naipon home islands fell leaving their territories to rise up.
Going to the present, one of Naipon’s former territories, Cieria is devastated in a civil war between the many factions of it’s nationalist military “democracy” and the populist Cynicalist Party supported by the Slavic Cynicalist Union that formed after the fall of Rodina. Auckland and it’s Omerian Allies ( Weimeria, The Nordic Union, and the Commonwealth of Brent) get involved first by setting up a neutral safezone Port City for the Cierian people mostly staying out of the war until Cynicalist forces use chemical weapons on the safezone.

1 Like

I meant like CoH’s choicescript. There’s all sorts of different variants of similar things I’m trying to make. One that simulates SMS, one that’s mostly just a choose-you-own-adventure (more story, less code – this one is finished but doesn’t look great), interactive videos (like youtube but with moving pieces and 7 different ways to make it interactive). What I really need to do is make one that just uses a eval() function so I can finish it quickly - it just runs the risk of any other authors being able to inject code on any webpage it’s published on (not sure if that’s a problem on front end)

1 Like

It feels real weird just dropping an interest check post in the middle of a different discussion so please excuse the interruption! I have the majority of this story outlined with copious side-notes and have just started writing it, so I thought it was time to drop a post here. (I plan on this story being two books with the sequel taking place ten years later.)

The Emerson Conspiracy (working title)

You’re seventeen, you’re a senior, and everything sucks.

It’s your second year at the most elite, most prestigious prep school in five counties and you ended last year exactly where you’d started it: at the bottom of the social ladder with all the other kids that can’t afford the lavish lifestyle the rest of the school enjoys. To make things that much worse, school starts up again next week and your parents have you working as a janitor for some big event that practically all of the rich kids will be attending. The night starts innocently enough when you run into your schoolmate, Rick, while ditching work. That changes, however, when you accidentally find out about his grisly part-time job.

The entire course of your life is about to take a sharp turn into the macabre as you peek behind the curtains of your small, ultra-wealthy town fueled by a Machiavellian sense of morality. Nearly all of the adult residents have assets, titles, and secrets which they are willing to do anything to protect or obtain–including murder. You are quickly swept up in a series of sabotages and contract-killings that take Emerson by storm, but are you a victim of circumstance? Just along for the ride?

Or a willing accomplice?

Setting

The story takes place in a fictional part of the United States during the mid-1990s. Emerson is a small town with a lot of financial weight to swing around due to its geographical location. The way the town’s wealth was secured is a major point of pride and ingrained in the town’s culture, so much so that there’s an annual festival celebrating their forebears’ craftiness and mocking their neighbors’ comparative incompetence and lack of business-savvy. (Their words, not mine.)

To feature
  • high school life in the nineties! (and all the cringeworthy 90s slang that entails)
  • mystery surrounding the town’s origins!
  • seven romance options! (3 female, 3 male, 1 non-binary)
  • fight scenes and graphic violence!
  • the option to break down and cry! (there will be many opportunities to do so)
Things I plan (hope?) to implement
  • reciprocated romance checks: while I have no plans to make it outright difficult to romance anyone (except for one character, sort of), it won’t be enough to just choose romantic options in your playthrough–your RO has to like you back for the romance to advance. I also find “playersexual” to be pretty bland to read, so while all romance options will be available to everyone, the romance paths themselves will differ depending on your MC’s personality and gender.
  • an academics system that affects your skills and unique perks/traits for excelling in your electives, specifically
  • talents: the player can choose a talent for their MC during customization but certain activities during the game itself can grant your MC additional talents. Talents can help you during stat checks you might otherwise fail and can give you different or additional options in situations and dialogue.
  • lots of flavor text. I love how customizable characters have become in recent years, but more often than not we still don’t see those things being implemented in-story outside of snippets like “You brush your auburn hair back,” or, more awkwardly, “Your ebony skin turns bright red in embarrassment.” Immersion is my absolute favorite thing about this format of writing/gaming so I want to be as painstakingly thorough about it as possible. I’m very neurotic and detail-oriented, so hopefully those flaws will work in my favor here!

Phew, I think that’s it without getting too (much more) detailed! Thoughts?

22 Likes

Sounds very amusing.
Also perfectionism when writing something like a COG is never a bad thing. Nothing is as much as a turn off in a COG as having a soulless cardboard character that is most likely an invisible ghost.
I also like the idea of murdering a lot of people in a grizzle fashion and then making my character act like a total bitch afterwards.
Before violently murdering more people the day after and continuing the fun.

2 Likes

I completely agree! I play any CoG at least three times with two of my OCs and a fantasy!me playthrough, so it’s really obvious really quickly for me when there’s little to no noticeable differences between my dramatically different character personalities. I think that’s one of the main reasons Wayhaven Chronicles still has that insane 4.9 in the Play store!

lol yes, I really enjoy main characters that are just total crybabies for some reason? Mainly the ‘sobbing and sniffling while being forced to get over it/mature’ kind :joy: My fave OC to play with is the most gentle thing ever and I always wish there were more vulnerable options during highly intense or violent scenes.

3 Likes