Interest Check Thread

A glorious beard!! You wouldn’t be an actual bloody dwarf if ya don’t have eh beard.

3 Likes

Just asking since you used ‘his’ for last description! Glad to see that female would be an option.

1 Like

Ay lad you got me! lets get this party started and bust some skull!

1 Like

My sincere apologies, I’m not use to writing in a female prespective. So that was just out of habit.

1 Like

I think this will be more appropriate in the Interest Check Thread - #601 by zombiequeenkai :slight_smile:

Nonetheless, your idea seems interesting!
Some other things about world buiding:

• What other characters have you planned?
  • What kind of races/species exist?
  • What is this world your story is set in like? :slight_smile:
1 Like

Female dwarves aren’t set in the base “dwarf” concept because Tolkien was ambiguous on their existence or nonexistence and beardiness. So what being a female dwarf entails is entirely up to you as long as they fit in with the other dwarf traits. Maybe dwarves just do not recognize this as a distinction for any purpose except marriage and all have beards, maybe women don’t have beards but otherwise are just like men, maybe there are no female dwarves because dwarves are made by being hewn out of rock and they just don’t hew out female dwarves because the Ancestors only hewed out male dwarves and what kind of dwarf ignores the wisdom of the Ancestors? No kind of dwarf at all!

First one is easiest, second is only slightly harder and it’s how Dwarf Fortress does it. Third is gender locked male. I’ve also seen at least three more esoteric ways of handling the issue but that is born from people who like dwarves as a concept but got a bit bored and started experimenting a little and they’ve got some drift from the baseline.

3 Likes

Yea I’m still quite new around here. But I’m learning as we go along.

Yea it’s just a rough draft and I’ll add more info some people quite in interested in the thing.

2 Likes

Wow. Not as in I’m offended but as in so much knowledge you must process.

Anyways I was having a back fourth arguement with a friend if I should allow female Dwarves. So if I do are they going to be seen as the equals.

I haven’t really gave the dwarves much love as I did to the other species and their lore. Which is why I was thinking of starting with a Dwarven main plot.

Back to the female dwarves question, I was just going to allow female dwarves. Though they do have full equal rights during the time this story takes place. While the other species in the world doesn’t have full female equality, escpeically in the human kingdoms. There is an Empire where the females do have limited freedoms and rights. But the only other species that have full female rights and freedoms are the elves.

1 Like

Sure thing! :slight_smile: there was a poll some time back on how intrigued people will be in a story with nonhumans MCs, and many voiced their interest in such plots. So I’d think a dwarf story, especially if written well, will certainly attract much interest :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks.

I was hoping to make this a two part series like the Sabre and Guns of infinty. Though I won’t cut it off like it did in the first story.

1 Like

Just a little clarification about the infinity series: it’s going to be five part series IIRC, not two :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I didn’t know the infinty series was going to be a five part. I just thought the writer was going to end after lords of infinty.

1 Like

Yes, but how can I play an exact replica of my real life appearance and persona? I’m triggered. :rofl:

But seriously, as long as I can play a sexy dwarf, I’m fine. It’s actually a breath of fresh air to play something very different than a human. I find most worlds usually set elves as just idealized hippy humans. I actually liked the dwarf story/setting the most in DA:O. I would love a fic with that sort of mood. Please make.

2 Likes

Well sexy dwarf. . . Well a sexy Dwarf is as rare as finding a Thicc Goth GF.

Well the elves aren’t hippy, tree loving and all peace elves. They look down to other species as they seem weak and are barbarians compared to the elves. They are known to be cruel to other species. The elves are the only species with female full gender rights and freedoms, although the females are the only ones who can hold any political power as men are looked at being rash, hot headed, and power hungry. From this most female elves treat male elves harshly and more rough.

2 Likes

Well in Glorantha elves are plants and they love forests and consider farming slavery. Meanwhile Dwarves are forged out of metal and exist to operate and maintain the World Machine, which is broken since some idiot killed the Sun. The dwarves agree it must be fixed and disagree about what to do about its troublesome but potentially useful organic contaiminants. Also some of them don’t acknowledge that they should maybe revise their schedules if circumstances charge drastically.

1 Like

Heck yeah I would play a dwarf story! Dwarves are awesome! I’m already looking forward to it. :laughing:

Oh man, this too. Dragon Age really sold me on dwarves.

5 Likes

The whole dwarf/elf thing is totally lost on me, alas.

1 Like

If it adds nothing to the story, I really don’t see why you should.
But even if you don’t gain any powers, than how about a special characteristic that shows you aren’t really 100% human. For example, phoenixes are often associated with fire, maybe give the main character red eyes to reflect that.
Also, if you’re going to add it to the story, maybe you could give the option of making your mother all sorts of different monsters that give you a different characteristic depending on which one you chose.

3 Likes

I’ve read about your characters and they don’t really seem like the kind that would sign up for such a thing. At least not all of them would. The werewolf has 17 brothers to look after, the spider girl probably wouldn’t want to get her dresses dirty and Geralt is a bully so it’s unlikely he’d care about trying to help the town.
The better thing, I think would be to have the ROs mostly hang out with certain other characters and then occasionally interact with each other.
How’s this for an example? River’s hard partying attitude could mesh well with Moon’s rebellious streak and the two of them could be seen often hanging out together. Meanwhile, there could be a scene where Geralt picks on Quentin. Here you could
A) Stand up to Geralt, encouraging Quentin to open up a bit more to you.
B) Join in picking on Quentin and gain Geralt’s approval.
C) Use your knowledge you’ve previously gained on both characters to help them find common ground.
D) Leave them alone since it doesn’t concern you.
A good example of this would be the game Monster Prom, which also takes place at a high school full of monsters. Not all the monsters hang out with each other at all times, but they all occasionally interact with each other and you have to think on your feet on how to woo the one you want. I think it would be helpful for your project to play it for yourself. And don’t worry, I assure you it’s very fun to play.

2 Likes

You’d need to make the story more about being a dwarf than about being a soldier.

4 Likes