Interest Check Thread

Of Royal Birth and Forlorn Fate

You were born to a widely-adored King and Queen. Unfortunately, so were your two brothers–years earlier. With little chance of inheriting the throne, you’ll need to seek your destiny elsewhere.

https://dashingdon.com/play/spokes/of-royal-birth-and-forlorn-fate/mygame/ (very short demo, 2k words or so)

I am not looking for line-specific feedback, i know i probably have infinite typos, etc. the game might even be broken! Just want to know if anybody wants to read something along these lines. if not, let me know that too. posting in here because the demo is so short, i’ll create a real topic if i end up sticking with it.

11 Likes

Hello there again John, what’s the genre of this? Is MC gonna be an adventurer? Hero? Is it set in a fantasy world? Relatively normal or completely normal type of world? Anyway G’Luck with the project though.

1 Like

Ouch… A child that is merely more than a tool to secure their reign. And damned devils the short demo is ended with an extremely painful cliffhanger :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

Though short it’s a nice start and interested in seeing more.

Okay, fellow forum members, I’ve got that problem that I’ve finally decided to ask help with. It’s probably not a suitable thread for it, but I don’t know where else to ask. It can be obnoxious and\or problematic, tho.

Problem

So, there’s a game that I’m making; I’ve put a lot of effort and thought and love into it already, even if it’s barely started. The huge problem for me is that it’s set in Russia.
And not just Russia - an alter USSR.
The bare bones of the whole story and around 3\4 of the first chapter were ready before 24.02 came to being. After that I’ve lost any motivation and inner resource to write; now I feel ready to write again but I’m obviously scared that the backlash about the setting will kill all my inspiration again. Note that I can’t - or want - to change the setting, since it plays the major role.
So, the question - should I continue to work on it now, at least in English?

Short story blurb

You are a common student that returned home to their backwater little town for holidays, but your joyful time ends when you find yourself in one-day time loop that inevitably ends with your death. Now it’s up to you to find the truth and break the flow of the fate itself, while trying your best not to lose your humanity and your sanity in the process.

4 Likes

Before I even think of answering your question, I have a question myself: if you’re ALREADY using an “alter” version of USSR (i.e., not-USSR), how importantly, exactly, is the setting? Unless I misunderstood something?

I DO like my Groundhog Day time loops…

Ooh very Russian Doll. I like the sound of this.

1 Like

The setting is incredibly important… What started the story couldn’t have happened in any other setting, and I don’t want to change that. And even if I wanted, there’s a lot of stuff to change in already written parts and plans.
What is linking it to Russia (even that it’s an alter history), are ethnicities, places that play a huge role, names, some parts of the story, some common themes and overall… how should I say it… feel to it.

Yes, great series!

2 Likes

At which point does your alter history start diverging from real-world history? Why did it diverge? Does the game make reference to events prior to the divergence? Does alter USSR do things that mirror real-life Russia actions?

Basically after the first world war, yes, there are some references, yes, there are things that mirror some things that was done in USSR, as well as some practices that were common in USSR, but there nothing similar to what’s going on now.
Now I understand that even if I change the obvious signs, the core still is readable.

2 Likes

You might be safe concerning current events (but I’d try to check with an Ucrainian), but does this

mean “the USSR didn’t buddy up with the Nazis until Hitler went full-on stupid and thought it’d be a good idea to fight a war in EVERY front”?

1 Like

Nnope, there were more things after the ww1 :slight_smile:

I still have some friends in Ukraine that they want to read this, but that what’s friends for, huh. Thanks!

1 Like

I mean, if Ukrainians say you’re good… They’re the ones getting fucked over, so if they’re ok with it, you’re probably good?

1 Like

Hmm it’s a interesting question poised and honestly I can understand wariness especially the little I know in my memory of something’s. Yet I’m going to echo jbento and say that I think your good write your story take it at the pace that you want.

2 Likes

I like the concept and I’m looking forward to the release of the demo.

1 Like

I’d say go for it. Then again, to me, fiction is just that. Fiction.

Well, let’s remember that credibility is also important within a historical fiction story. So if we think of an alternative USSR I would start with the following question: What alternative versions of the USSR do you think are possible?

And secondly, I could recommend you to do some research on the problems of the formation of the USSR in its beginnings, such as proposals for government, economy, diplomacy, or anything else that you consider relevant in the context of its history. A solution that occurred to me to your difficulty would be to consult these historical sources or on the other hand to consult with Russian users or anyone who comes from the former republics of the former Soviet Union of this incredible platform. I hope I have been helpful.

1 Like

I am one, actually.
The question here isn’t the integrity of the story, even if I’m thankful for your suggestions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You know that curse where no matter what you do, you always end up hating your own writing? I’m definitely feeling that…

https://dashingdon.com/play/grimreaperjr1232/shade-soul/mygame/

It ends abruptly and I’m not even sure how much I like it, but it’s mine.

13 Likes

Well, Tolkien absolutely LOATHED The Lord of the Rings, so, hey, you’re in skilled company.

3 Likes