Interest Check Thread

Slightly off-topic, slightly not. A friend of mine in high school made a game for his game dev class where you play as a blind dude. Playing games in a role that forces you to rely on different senses to what you usually would is certainly interesting

2 Likes

Iā€™m not disabled but I think if you made a game like that itā€™d give others a window into that kind of life. Definitely a book Iā€™d read :+1:

3 Likes

So my latest inane thought of stuff that I will probably get to in four thousand years from now.

A town full of undead and ghosts. Iā€™m torn between it being in the golden age of piracy, maybe the witch hunting era, or perhaps a Wild Western type feel. I kind of lean towards the idea of ghost pirates, myself.

The MC is the sheriff of it, and one of the most powerful undead in the town(If you ever saw my WIPs before, you know that I donā€™t like doing the ā€œeveryone is awesome, but your character sucksā€ type thing.)

Maybe you pass fair judgment on all people, or only the ones you like. Maybe some people just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe you just need some life force to keep yourself fresh and from decomposing. Or maybe you give zero craps to that and are fine with your undead body looking itā€™s age.

While theyā€™re would be ways the MC could be killed none of them would be that simple. Exorcisms, using the thing that caused their death when they were mortalā€¦or destroying the townā€™s source of power and what fuels the supernatural there. And there are people who try. The MC could be trying to prevent that and live as an immortal undead, or perhaps deciding itā€™s high time the souls around there finally start to pass on.

So, thatā€™s the general concept. There is more to it that Iā€™m not really getting into right now, but if people tell me their initial thoughts about it then I will put it in my list of things I have yet to get to.

8 Likes

That sounds awesome! I really like the different time zone idea. I know itā€™s be a ton of work, but if you were able to pick between the three youā€™re game would be stellar

1 Like

I think the best choice would be being able to choose if the marriage was out of love or simply political. I love the premise, and I love the idea of having to navigate the fact that your spouse is genocidally murderous against you, but there are plenty of folks who donā€™t feel romantic love. And even in the case of those who do, there are those who are incredibly particular about their ROs, and a small problem like ā€œhating your very existenceā€ will throw a wet blanket on interest in pursuing reconciliation.

Obviously, there are some who would love the RO anyway. But while Iā€™m fine with forcing players to wotk with an established character dynamic, forcing them to be attracted to a character gives very skeevy vibes for me.

2 Likes

Thank you for the comment! It definitely broadened my perspective. Sometimes Iā€™m still too stuck in my linear mindset because it originally is a book, not a CoG, idea.

I love the way you phrased that. sighs Yes I love that too

1 Like

Probably not of much interest to others, but Iā€™ve been getting nudges to do a game where the MC is a babysitter and the house they work at starts having paranormal stuff happen (mostly ghost related).

It could even be done at different stages, so it doesnā€™t happen all at once. Possible ROā€™s could be the person youā€™re babysitting for (perhaps they are a single parent, and the nights you babysat were when they were working late, or had an unsuccessful date). Another possible one would be someone you go to school with (after all, sometimes babysitters would ask someone over, especially after the kids are put to bed).

19 Likes

Iā€™d be down to play this. It reminds me of those old mystery series books that they used to sell in book catalogs.

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to write a low/hard fantasy politicking game with someone.

1 Like

I could help you bounce ideas, but I got a day job recently and might not be able to split the actual writing as much as you might like.

2 Likes

Any help would be appreciated

1 Like

I do have something to start with along the lines youā€™re looking for. Part of a setting Iā€™ve had in mind for a while now.

The king controls an artifact that can instantly smite anyone in the kingdom, but his use of it hammered himself into a near comatose state. The king now sits at the top of a huge tower overlooking the entire kingdom.

A ring of assassins now runs the kingdom, with only one ever allowed to see the king in person. But their rule is hands off, leaving local warlords in charge of day to day life.

There can be as much or as little magic involved as you want, save for the artifact that gives the king both his power and his agony. For the purposes of the game, it can be unknown whether the king is alive or dead ā€“ betrayed by the assassins.

At any rate, something like this would only be a start.

2 Likes

Would anyone be interested in a game setting like indian jones or quatermain style. Placed on the earth but with alterations, so that myths and such really exist. Like wonderous artifacts, curses, voodoo and similar things? The game would play in the 1850-1860, featuring an british noble, gathering a team, going on an expedition.
In some things the world will be realistic, but with genderroles and love interests it will be free, so that female and LGBT people will have all the same possiblilities a male would have, so that everybody who would like the game may enjoy it.

7 Likes

I came to the conclusion that trying to lay out an entirely playable abridged life may have been the most intimidating idea I ever hadā€¦ also it made the protagonist the center of everything too much.
My answer was trying something kind of structured like Unnatural but replace the military stuff with a freshly founded garage band.
I hope I can muster the confidence to at least do this.

I posted kind of a monster manual thread with some stuff about the cast I have so far.

Oh. The title at this point is Supernatural Case Worker.

3 Likes

Iā€™d love that theme and setting. And I think Choice-script is well-suited for it.
I really like the idea of choosing between a Holmes (English) or Jones (American) archetype.
Iā€™d prefer the gender roles ā€œdown-playedā€ rather than ā€œfreeā€ (or eliminated) as I think that adds flavor and impact to the gender-choice. Maybe Iā€™m off on that though.

1 Like

Protagonist: While helping out at a remote vet clinic they found a supernatural cub over by the candy machines. Typical humanā€¦ we think.
Silver lining: they got a new permanent job open to them.

The heart: Trained in the ways of monster slaying their teacher clearly didnā€™t understand their oath to protect EVERYONE. Injured trying to get past a horde of familiar cats.

The muscle: Vampire using his androgynous charms to feed on nightlife predators and leave them sniveling wrecks of their former selvesā€¦ also the only partner choice starting out.

The brain: Elven princess joined in this ā€œexperimentā€ to try and make sure itā€¦ at least doesnā€™t go bankrupt. She has a peace bet riding on this.

Werewolves: The bonds of a wolf donā€™t have to be with a pack. The wolf canā€™t tell the difference between friend and sworn family. One more thing: being their mate is not like some magical super marriage (sorry fantasy romantics).
If the human has any distress from their condition or other matters resolve ASAP. Overinflated egos as a result of power may also need looking into.

Mermaid: Donā€™t let them hear you compare them to popular fiction. Those big arms arenā€™t as flabby as they look. Since most of their disguises look mannish it usually isnā€™t an issue.

Orc: Heavy and tough like youā€™d expect but their stunted sweat glands get in the way of the whole warrior thing.

Frost: If it werenā€™t for the immortality you could mistaken them for really specialized mages.

Familiar: They come from simply imbuing an animal with extra magic. Doing it on purpose is usually safe but most are a result of an overflow crisis which can cause the resulting familiar to beā€¦ a bit on the overprotective side.

Vampire: No they donā€™t glitterā€¦ without makeup. The sun catastrophically nerfs them to the point they are a pushover. Garlic and vampiresā€¦ reject each other thatā€™s all. When struck with a wooden stake the forces of nature use it as an anchor point to bind them or further.

Elves: At the most basic they are actually really big jerks. At least they can be trusted to help when anything magical needs saving.

Unfortunately Iā€™m still trying to come up with missions.

What I have:
People are trying to check on this woman because no one has seen them in a while and thereā€™s some redevelopment plans around the area but they keep getting chased off by all these cats. (Familiars)

A building super is going to metaphorical war to keep this persistent ā€œdogā€ out of their no pets building.

A string of spray paintings have been happening around town which from the air look kind of magic circleish. City cleaning can only slow it down so much and we donā€™t know what itā€™s for yet if it really is a magic circle. (Human mage)

Freak winter storms reported at a construction site in the middle of summer. Their biggest worker doesnā€™t seem to be leaving the site though. (Orc and frost)

Oh almost forgot to mention: I was planning the ability to adopt more possible partners and roommates along the way. Also romance themā€¦ maybe.

4 Likes

Hi all! This is going to be my second attempt at making something, the first time around didnā€™t go so wellā€“but now I know what I did wrong and have learned a great deal.

Further explanation if you're curious or bored

The first CYOA game I tried making was based on a book I was already writing, I hit a block and decided to try and make it into a CYOA game for funsies. The problem with CYOA games is that you have to give some agency to the reader, and my book didnā€™t leave a lot of room for that. So, I changed a few things, and some more things, and even more things, and eventually it was perfect to work as a CYOA game, the new problem was that now the story had changed so much from the original that I was writing something entirely different. Too different from the story I wanted to tell, I tried forcing myself to write it anyways and surprise that didnā€™t work and I abandoned the work.

This time around, I got these ideas down with CYOA as a medium in mind.

All three of these I have the basis of a beginning, middle, and end. I already have the startup and stat pages done, I just need to actually begin writing. Iā€™m excited to write all of them, and canā€™t decide which one to focus on first (since I plan on writing all of them at some point), so this is what the poll is for. (If Iā€™m feeling particularly ambitious, Iā€™ll have one main project and a side project.)

So, hereā€™s the summaries of the three projects I canā€™t decide on.

Galactic Cold Cases

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Adventure with aliens and space pirates

Itā€™s 2987 and you are a private investigator. Not just any P.I. though, the best in the galaxy. The best because you got something that just about no one else has. Retrocognition. A power that lets you see the past, or at least get a sense of it by touch. Nifty in your line of work. However, the United Nations of Earth is a bit tired of you outshining their own people, and absorb your agency. They ship you off to the very far reaches of Known Space with nothing more than a small stipend and a motley crew of social rejects and outcasts, as part of a new Allied Species initiative.

While trying to make sure your crew doesnā€™t tear each other heads off, you stumble upon a mysterious plot against galactic peace, and that may or may not require you to save the galaxy. All in a dayā€™s work, right?

Threads of Fate

Norse Gods and mythology, but Ragnarok is thwarted and thereā€™s a twist.

There are no more miracles, no more blessings, magic is disappearing, people are no longer believing, and the Gods are missing. The future is unclear. Something is definitely amiss in Midgard, and you have taken it upon yourself to find out what that is.

You donā€™t remember much of your parents, you were raised mostly by a mysterious figure, whose face you never see. You both travel all around Midgard, always on the move as though you were being hunted. You never knew why and never bothered to question it. The Long Winter has arrived. It is in your 16th winter when you find the head of Jƶrmungandr washed up upon a shore, and in your 16th winter, you find yourself alone for the first time. Your guardian is gone, leaving nothing but a note stating that you are special and the Norns have big plans for you. Whatever way you take that, you have the pressing matters of finding out who slew The World Serpent, who stopped Ragnarok, and not to mention that there may actually be someone, or something hunting you for reasons unknown.

Hero Hunter's Guide

Played Red Dead Redemption and thought it would be fun superhero-themed and a lot lighter.

You are lucky, always been lucky. Few people are born with superpowers and you are one of those people. Even fewer were able to be picked to be part of the Little Heroes League led by your idol, Mimicry, you are one of those kids. It gave you a head start in your career, and you were successful as an adult solo hero. Real lucky. That is, until the accident. An accident that made you have to relearn your powers from scratch and put you out of the game for a while. Itā€™s a normal day when you turn on the TV during your exercises that your very own Little Heroes League (now adults) are on the news. As villains. Led by the one and only Mimicry. You barely let out a breath when the FBI kicks in your door.

In order to clear your name as not part of this new villain group, the U.S. government has tasked you with hunting down and capturing your old hero group, along with your idol. Failing means going down with them. Itā€™s six against one, that is until you recruit some others to your mission.

• Galactic Cold Cases
  • Threads of Fate
  • Hero Hunterā€™s Guide

0 voters

5 Likes

I always felt that this forum needed more Vikings or at least Ragnarok related WIPs since the authors are always diving in either Greek or Japanese mythology.

6 Likes

Questions:

In ā€œThreads of fateā€, are you playing as an Asgardian? If so, which?

In ā€œHero Hunterā€™s Guideā€, what are the available powers?

2 Likes

In Threads of Fate youā€™re not Asgardian, youā€™re uhā€¦ mortal but special, and I canā€™t really say anything else other that that.
Hero Hunterā€™s Guide you are a kinetic, with a choice of fire, ice, earth, air, electricity, light, dark, and blood type of kinetic. Maybe psychokinesis too, I actually forgot about that up until this moment.

3 Likes