Interest Check Thread

Hey there, so im not the best with choicescript. And maybe not the best writier. But im willing to throw out ideas for free. So it’s the classical super hero thing, but you play as that damsel in distress. The one who has to be saved and if somehow always in some way in danger or kidnapped. Now my idea is a comedy where the MC is alwasy “Why me?” and joke about the setting alot. But you can do whatever you would like with it.

1 Like

The game I’m thinking of making would be a series of adventures for the main character and possibly some allies but with no specific thing linking them together. Choices of the mc will impact later situations but the mc has no big bad enemy to defeat or dire crisis to deal with over the course of the story. Would like the thoughts of more experienced writers on making a story like this, tips on writing it and making it good, how to make a good climax, any stories that do a good job of this and would be good to study how they do implement this system.

1 Like

For a story with no “main conflict,” I’d suggest using the Asian plot structure Kishōtenketsu. This plot structure is set up, in layman’s terms, like so:

• Ki. Establish the situation.
  • Sho. Develop on the situation.
  • Ten. Twist! Something unrelated happens.
  • Ketsu. Resolve the twist and its effects.

If you’re looking to make a longer story, feel free to loop these together and change or combine the orders.

I don’t think Kishotenketsu can be changed or combined at will. The Japanese poem is structured in that way that changing the structure itself equals changing the name, Kishotenketsu.

Hi I’m posting here befire I decide to commit to anything especially since this would be my first time writing and I would mostly write to ease the boredom of quarantine but I was thinking on trying a ww2 esque game (just with made up countries and ideologies or maybe keep them the same in not sure yet) and i was thinking of being able to play as a few different people from separate countries like a tank ace from a germany type country, a naval bomber from an American type country, and a sniper from a Japanese type country. I really don’t know if ill fully commit and how well the quality would be but I do have a passion for war and would like to create a story based off the greatest conflict in human history. Let me know if anyone would be intrested in something like this and I’m open to suggestions for ideas.

5 Likes

I would suggest starting very small. Start with a short story and then turn it into a novellette. A novellette is the shortest form of a complete novel-like story. They can work well in choice-based games too. Whatever you do, if you enjoy writing it, others will enjoy reading it, and that includes WW2.

2 Likes

There’s a lack of political games within Choice of Games with anything related to it being medieval games which usually the majority if not always someone will try to become the king or some autocratic lord. The main issue with this is there isn’t a diverse set of games for this. President disaster after trying the demo was more of a satire for Donald Trump. The main issue with this is there’s a huge pool of content to use with this. If there are coders that do very little writing or don’t like doing that much thinking historical politics is the best position in that situation. A good example could be the Federalist- Anti Federalist factions within the American colonies during the late 1700’s. This can even be incorporated into a militaristic topic involving the revolution which then evolves into a political issue. The Infinity saga does this with the new Lords of Infinity sequel. But if there is something in a historic story that is good potential I’d personally recommend Hamilton. I wrote this topic just because I felt that very little people know about the potential within these subjects.

Usually politics are more a thing you do along the lines in the games.
It also has something to do with escapism, I wager.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind playing a game with political undertones but a game about the current political landscape would take me out, I read books for escapism and to relieve some of the stresses of life

6 Likes

Political games are a tricky subject in the best of times, and I think not many would disagree that recent and current world events are not conducive to such a game being published at this time. Even small things become controversial, and such a game would become extremely controversial, extremely quickly.

Additionally, most games of the sort are usually divisive, since they necessarily involve something of the player’s own political opinions. Depicting politics in a balanced and nuanced manner in which all sides are portrayed without bias and none as having strawmen is a very difficult task.

2 Likes

I’d rather play a more realistic political drama of a closer era.
I know these opinions are a minority in the COG Forum, but I really want a game that meets such demands.

4 Likes

Got another game idea. A army managment and controling game where the army is robots that you can customize and upgrade. Including deciding on the looks!

2 Likes

Kind of like one of the endings of Choice of Robots, but more fleshed out?

Kind of yes, however i want to make the idea is vague as possible. So anyone who picks it up can do what they want with it.

1 Like

I apologize, but I will be unable to finish the demo for a while. Lockdown + parents who work in hospital + engineering degree = 5 times the work and 7 times the stress in the same amount of time as in-person classes at university.

My priority is my education, so I will be unable to begin focusing on this project until the end of April when the semester draws to a close.

Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home as much as possible. Thank you to everyone for your support and understanding during these tough times.

6 Likes

Hi everyone, I’ve kind of started making my first choicescript game, but since I’m not too good at coding, I might not go through with it. If anyone is interested, let me know, and I might start working on it again.

Anyway, here’s the plot:

You play a genetically modified creature who was created to be a personal assassin/spy/soldier. Earth has been taken over by Prime, a monstrous figure in a robotic suit of armor, and her hundreds of creatures, nicknamed attack dogs. While some of the population has escaped to several orbiting space stations, the rest of humanity remains on the ground, oppressed and terrorized by Prime’s army as they wait for the rebels to rescue them.

At the Hub, the center of Prime’s control, you are taught from birth along with the rest of your bracket to obey Prime’s every command. You have no thoughts of your own. You are completely devoid of emotion. Or are you?

-Prologue is in the process of being written
-There’s gender-choice, trans and nonbinary included
-You can choose between three(?) different types of creatures
-Only one RO has been come up with, but more would be added
-The story is about a battle between loyalty and individuality and your decisions will greatly affect the storyline

Again, I’m a beginner at coding, so I don’t even know if I’d be able to write all of this, but I’ll try my best if anyone is interested.

27 Likes

Can you be evil?

Yep, either for your own selfish reasons or because you’re loyal to an evil person.

1 Like

Your game sound really intresting so I hope that you make it😄

Is Prime a human- like being? Or a Megatron homage?

Well… then I’ll play has a Fall Of Cybertron Grimlock homage then! (Can I eat Prime’s left arm?, or go on a rampage with loyal subordinates killing all in our path?)