Stardom in Seoul: Live the life of a Korean idol!

I am so interested in this! Sounds really cool!

1 Like

I love it already! Didn’t think there will be such a game! Am I dreaming? Seriously, thank you for starting this WIP!

1 Like

Hey I was just wondering I know there are agencies in the entertainment industries in South Korea will they be included like SM JYP YG or will you make up your own

I wouldn’t think so, given the rules against using copyrighted brand labels and such? I mean, there’s a reason you don’t see any mention of like, the WWE in Slammed!, or see any characters headed into McDonald’s to order a Big Mac or something in… I dunno. F*ck it, Heroes Rise. (Pulled that one out of my ass, didn’t I. LOL!)

I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to make up some agency names either way.

4 Likes

It’s generally not a good idea to use copyrighted names since that’s a good way to be sued and people doesn’t want that to happen. But it’s definitely a good idea to go with a generic name like tissue switched in for Kleenex or just make up a name for it.

My question to @Sleepy is; what if the player doesn’t like any of the ROs, how would them not dating anyone affect the WiP? Is it even possible?

Well if you’re Asexual or Pure I’d imagine my you might have it easy to avoid flirting or being out of character. But if they do “Fake relationships” ( so far these are player ideas not actual confirmed ideas) then you wouldn’t date outside who the company pairs you with. And assuming they aren’t pushy wouldn’t have a real relationship with the fake partner it’d be just a show.

I have no idea why I’m as excited for this idea as I am…

2 Likes

I think if the concern is a romance-scandal kind of situation w an RO as a part of the plot, it can be substituted by just rumors of a non-existent romance scandal, which in the kpop world would basically still cause an uproar. That said the author did say romance plays a big role in the game, so they might mean in other aspects (?)

Edit: Also in regards to the copyright naming situation I think it would be fairly innocuous to reflect the “Big Three” and underdog companies that is the situation irl while making up innovative or even parodic names for them lol.

8 Likes

I like the idea of playing too young to drink yet still avoiding creepers and having to walk a tightrope if there is fake romance enforced by the company.

5 Likes

I realy like the idea never seen any cog in that theme i think

1 Like

This is not gender locked. You can be any non-binary, male, or female, as well as trans or cis.

It’s uncommon, but not unheard of. Busker Busker, once undoubtedly the most popular Korean group in South Korea, has a non-Korean member. I want to keep it as open to people of different nationalities.

I’m not too sure on how I’m going to handle publicizing relationships yet, but I’m bouncing a couple of ideas around. But you don’t have to hide gay/lesbian relationships if you don’t want to. It won’t be treated exactly the same as a straight one, but the consequences are not going to be as harsh as in real life.

I’m thinking of making puns for their names, but I’m not sure yet. Let me know if you have any ideas!

You don’t have to date anyone if you don’t want to. If you’re not dating anyone, as the story progresses, your character will have a strong friendship/bitter rivalry that’s completely platonic with at least some of the characters. It’s because the story, just like the entertainment industry, is built on forming connections with people.

I mean that the MC’s relationship with the ROs will heavily affect story and dialogue even outside the romance. Other characters will comment on their rivalry/closeness, affects the opportunities you get, scandals, all kinds of stuff.

To everyone else who made suggestions/had nice things to say, thank you so much! I’ve read every single comment on this thread, but I just don’t have enough time to reply to them all.

Because of a suggestion by @GenecoInheritor and a couple others, I’ve decided to add a reality TV show segment (based on one that actually exists) that sets up two idols with each other. As a result, there’s a new RO: an actor!

I really wish I could give more details on the scandals/PR side, but so far I’ve only written auditions, gigs, and training scenes. Although I have an idea of what I want, it’s hard to explain it until I’ve written a few more scandal/PR scenes.

On Sunday, I’ll have the profiles of all the ROs up and by Tuesday/Wednesday of next week, I’ll have the demo up too. Once again, thanks for all your support, guys!

19 Likes

This is going to be great question though sleepy. Are you a Korean native? I ask because if you are you might consider writing the game in Korean as well as English could get a more diverse audience when it’s published. Either way I have faith it’ll be a great game.

1 Like

I am definitely looking forward to this, it sounds very interesting and fun. And I was only asking about the not romancing thing because the last time I played a CoG that the story focused on the romance affecting the story, it didn’t have an ending for when I didn’t romance one of the ROs. That’s why I was asking about it with this one, to make sure the same thing didn’t happen.

Oh thank goodness, with that piece of the puzzle I’m am soooooo excited for this!!!

1 Like

Tbh, and as a Korean person, i’m SUPER wary of this, not gonna lie…Like, i’m glad that there’s interest in Korean pop culture and all, but there’s just such a huge chance that something like this could turn out to be kind of offensive and fetishizing (assuming you aren’t Korean yourself ofc)…And I don’t mean this in a personal way or as a direct attack on you or anything, I just tend to see a lot of that involving Korea and kpop especially so I mean, idk…

6 Likes

This kind of thing is usually because of the loaded history and international relationships that Korea currently has and has had with other countries, including America. There are a lot of intricacies that are extremely difficult to handle well and not a lot of non-Koreans know about the issues- or they tend to chalk it up to stereotypes about Koreans just being really uptight or “proud” or isolated etc, which is exactly why i’m kind of concerned about this tbh…

2 Likes

This sounds super cool. This might not be entirely figured out since you haven’t made the character customization yet, but what did you have in mind for your own character? Would you be able to choose between a couple of different careers, or would it be a single option that used all the stats that are Acting, Singing, and Dancing?

Isn’t that like asking what kind of rock star do you want to be.

1. Singer
  2. Action movie star
  3. Best selling novelist

Or does K-pop refer to more than just “a genre of music”

1 Like

I wasn’t entirely sure if your character is going specifically to be a K-Pop idol, or something like a basic popular actor or dancer.

I think we’re a Kpop singer or in a band though probably a singer and Solo or not is the only real question. We’re starting off in the business. We “invent ourselves” like how in the WWE or Slammed you create a kafaybe persona. And are expected to keep it and you raise up the ranks from novice to idol

1 Like