Infimus! - Supervillainy, Self-Loathing And Shapeshifting

Unfortunately it still seems stuck in a infinite loading loop, I’m not experienced with making games so I can’t tell you what the issue might be, sorry.

1 Like

Okay, I’ve looked directly at Dashingdon’s hosted files and it appears there was a mismatch between the file I uploaded and the one actually running in the game. Meaning, it tried to load a scene that didn’t exist.

I think that was it? Works on my end.

1 Like

Hey @No_Ichor

Surprise

I enjoyed the demo! Made me think of… Persona?

1 Like

The nice thing about annoying bugs appearing now is that they help you to remember more intuitively the skills you’ll need to develop while practicing–and getting better at writing in–choice script. It might not seem like it in the moment, but trust me on this; practice makes perfect, and you’re doing great! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I found this when playing the demo

Both of the above bugs should be fixed now!

Never have I been so happy to see a ‘play again’ screen. Glad the bug from before is fixed, the rest of the demo was really interesting! I liked the little scene where we described our character’s life, really fleshed out the story. Can’t wait for the next update :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ummmm am I the only one getting a scene where one of the options says “John has it” or something along those lines when talking to the fox?

1 Like

I haven’t played much but… this is amazing!:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I’m a huge fan of the supervillain/superhero genre and seeing such a unique take on it is— as I’ve said before, amazing!:grin:
Btw, the reason that I haven’t played much is because I encountered a bug where I’m talking to the fox about two suns being in the sky, and I had the option of choosing: “You can choose how the sky looks?” And then something came up that said: hall_of_villains line 92: Illegal mixing of spaces and tabs; this line has a tab, but there were spaces on line 91

For some reason, I couldn’t post a screenshot. Maybe it’s because I’m new here. Anyway, good luck with fixing the bug and developing this game. I’ll be sticking with this every step of the way😊

2 Likes

@AMER1CANN1NJA09 nope when I played a couple hours ago I came across the same thing and got a little further in play and it gave me a error message that ended the game prematurely from the sounds of it.

1 Like

Okay, the bug in the part where you talk to the Fox should be fixed.

7/22/2021/ - DEVLOG 1: The Plan and the Crew
Things done: Bugfixing, save slots, framework of plots system
Next up: Finish plots system, hideout

I used to play a lot of Payday 1 and 2. Those games are explicitly based on the classic ideal of the heist movie. Think Heat. The crew sits in front of a blueprint of the bank, looks at entrances and exits (maybe they’ve aleady scoped out the area), prepares their equipment, discusses the risks and benefits of different approaches. In Payday 2, this was simulated by the game’s lobby, before the match starts, being a giant blueprint of the area people usually drew dicks on. Might’ve changed since I last played it, dunno. I remember playing with a group of friends and roleplaying the planning of a perfect heist. We’d decide our roles and select our classes accordingly, talk about patrol routes and where to place jammers or hide bodies. Someone would, invariably, accidentally shoot an NPC or fall off a building or clip through a door and we’d have to go loud. But the time spent thinking about who does what, and how, was as entertaining as the act itself. It’s similar in the superhero genre: the enjoyment from any mischievous deed a supervillain might do comes, in no small part, from The Plan, regardless of it succeeding or not. The idea alone is tantalizing.

The Plan depends primarily on who’s involved. Maybe you’ve got a dude who can turn into a giant…antropomorphic…wall. Like in that old Spiderman comic. Maybe someone who can phase through walls, but only if they can see what’s on the other side. Or a robot whose powers are entirely random, depending on the spin of its slot machine eyes. You, the evil mastermind behind it all, might come up with a plan. But you’re gonna need a Crew to help you carry it out. And, of course, this sets the stage for a plethora of fun interactions between the PC and other characters, as well as between the characters themselves. What better time for a heart-to-heart about each other’s emotions than a high stakes chase away from the bank, scrunched together by dufflebags full of cash?

This week I’ll focus specifically on the above: building a system where you can pick from a list of Plots and plan them out in their finest details. You will also be acquainted with your first hideout, for now only a dinky apartment somewhere in central Burgoyne.

Each Plot is a more or less self contained scenario which both advances the story and provides opportunities to grow your character and interact with others. They’re intended to be replayable sandboxes - think Hitman levels, perhaps? if you squint? - that can be completed in the order and, most importantly, in the way you want. Actions build character, so what will your Manifold be like? What kind of villain will you turn out to be? Going back to the bank robbing example: do you jump in, puts your masks on, take hostages and blow up the vault? Fry the alarm system, quietly incapacitate the guards and take the cash before anyone can notice? Are you willing to endanger civilians? How will the members of your crew react to your decisions?

I’ll try to fit in something regarding the Crew system, but it will be barebones. I’ll expand it later. FYI, I’m kinda busy this weekend, update may slide to next Thursday.

5 Likes