Indefinite Hiatus. The Amberwood Series (WIP) (Read Post 409)

When you choose that option, it goes morning instead? Weird, i can’t see why it would do that so that’ll take a bit to fix.
Also, what do you mean it lets you choose the color twice? Like the choice comes up twice?

Hey, sorry I’m not sure if this is an error or not, but when MC meets Taylor at their job, I get the first two choices and then it just immediately goes to Hannah’s scene. I dont know if that’s intentional, it just seems very sudden and cut off. It happens with any option after Taylor grabs MC’s hand and tells them he was in a bad place ‘back then’.
I haven’t played much past that, but just wanted to make sure if it was a bug or not.

It’s not an error, just the way I wrote things. I’ll have it fixed.

That’s what I’m talking about. Definitely do that :slight_smile:

I think I understand where you were coming from when you wrote that part. You wrote that part and then also offered for people to input other last names. But since there offered ones aren’t that diverse, it can look like minorities are but an after thought.

It might seem small, but small stuff like this an make others feel so much more welcome.

Another suggestion is that you could also add another option where players can input their own pronouns. You do include the option of choosing nonbinary in the demo. But again, what might seem a little thing could make others feel very welcomed and like they count. Because most of the time they are an after thought.

Here is a recent thread where the latter is talked about.

Anyway, it’d be nice to see some first nation people’s last names too! I can’t recall games with thar option (maybe Tinstar, but can’t remember).
Some last names to have in mind are: Ahenakew, Ramirez, Flores, Wang, Chang, Kim, Park, McLoughlin, Nguyen, Tran, Fernando, Chernyshevsky…

2 Likes

I understand!
I did think about allowing pronoun input but I’m not sure how to do that when it comes to writing the… code? Like, ${heshethey} is easy, but what would I put for those wanting their own pronouns? If there’s a thread for that, please link me. There were a lot of gender-neutral pronouns I wanted to use but felt they/them would be easiest. Apologies if that sounds like a cop-out.

gonna be honest, Tinstar almost sounds like a tire brand??? but I love it so

I can definitely add a few of those in exchange for others. I thought about Nazario earlier, but that may be because of a certain character from a game that I love too much.

2 Likes

This is a link to a thread with some code you can look at: Gender and Pronouns

And this thread that Eiwynn started yesterday has a nice, and comprehensive category style list you can draw from here: A Matter of Respect: Gender-Neutral Pronoun Guide and Discussion

With this, it’s just a matter of implementation. Hopefully this helps with your question about alternative pronouns. :hugs:

1 Like

Sort of? I’m still not sure how to code the pronouns players could type in themselves though.

1 Like

Almost exactly what you already have. I’ll give you an example in just a minute or three (still working on it), but I have a question first.

Looking at Amberwood’s code, the existing gender choice section has one weird trait. Specifically, the *if statements, as seen here:

*choice
	#Boy.
		*if (gender = male)
			*set gender "male"

Those *if statements don’t actually do anything at present. You’d be perfectly fine deleting them and then reducing the indent level of the *set commands by one tab. Is that what you planned, or did you expect something else to happen there?

Edited to add:

That is an excellent reason to do things. Don’t let it get you down!

Also, I think my example is now “good enough.” I’m forseeing something along these lines:

*choice
	#Boy.
		*set gender "male
		*set mc_himherthem "him"
		*set mc_hisherstheirs "his"
		*set mc_heshethey "he"
		*set mc_manwomanperson "man"
		*set mc_sondaughterkid "son"
		*set mc_hishertheir "his"
		*goto kiss_scene
	#Girl.
		*set gender "female"
		*set mc_himherthem "her"
		*set mc_hisherstheirs "hers"
		*set mc_heshethey "she"
		*set mc_manwomanperson "woman"
		*set mc_sondaughterkid "daughter"
		*set mc_hishertheir "her"
		*goto kiss_scene
	#Kid.
		What are your pronouns, kid?
		*choice
			#They/them.
				*set mc_himherthem "them"
				*set mc_hisherstheirs "theirs"
				*set mc_heshethey "they"
				*set mc_manwomanperson "person"
				*set mc_sondaughterkid "kid"
				*set mc_hishertheir "their"
				*goto kiss_scene
			#Let me type my pronouns for you.
				For the "subject" pronoun:
				(Example: And then [b]she/he[/b] bought a car.)
				*input_text mc_heshethey
				For the "object" pronoun:
				(Example: The car belongs to [b]her/him[/b].)
				*input_text mc_himherthem
				For the "dependent possessive" pronoun:
				(Example: That's [b]her/his[/b] car.)
				*input_text mc_hishertheir
				For the "independent possessive" pronoun:
				(Example: That car is [b]hers/his[/b].)
				*input_text mc_hisherstheirs
				*set mc_manwomanperson "person"
				*set mc_sondaughterkid "kid"
2 Likes

Part of me really wishes people would stop looking at the code, but at the same time, I know it’s helping me learn :joy:
I think I just did it thinking I’d have to.
I’m even more confused than I was before-
@LadyUmbreon89 I didn’t expect this to be so confusing. :skull:

2 Likes

Yeah, I was specifically trying to find this, as I know that there are published games that have this option. It’s a tad convoluted because to get it entirely right, you’d need four separate fields of entry minimum, just to ensure correct usage for each one…

Oh, Minnow’s code has room in it to add in those pronouns with a fill/replace function-thingy! At least, in theory. :thinking:

I mean… By having an extra slot after one such as the *set mc_himherthemreplaceme

It works when I test it in CSIDE, at least! That’s gotta be worth something, right? It’s been forever and a day since I last downloaded a “vanilla” ChoiceScript install, so I didn’t even bother testing it in that environment… maybe I should update that at some point.

2 Likes

So the “replaceme” part would be the pronouns they type in. I’m trying to wrap my head around it… guess it’s something to keep in mind. it’s really confusing me
edit to say this thread has gotten really… messy. But I guess that isn’t a bad thing for anyone else looking to start writing CS.

1 Like

That’s exactly right, but making it function as a piece of code that can be replaced when the option is switched on will be the trick. :slightly_smiling_face:

is it bad to say the idea of figuring this out has me stressed already-

I think I may have misread your comment. Can you explain this in greater detail?

That’s pretty normal!

Allowing players to input custom pronouns is almost exactly the same as allowing players to input custom character names. Except characters generally have more pronouns than names, so it has to be repeated more times.

2 Likes

The idea is code simplification. Making it so that the author doesn’t have to manually input every possible pronoun stretching the code out. By putting a piece of code that can morph into what the player inputs into place there, it simplifies the need to input as many as possible.

The only thing is, other than the one that allows players to input custom names for their character, I don’t know how well it would work within the code itself. Which is why I say that “it should, in theory”, at any rate.

I feel like it would be something to test separately, like not within the main project.

1 Like

Yep. Making a scratch sheet is also good practice when it comes to coding things. Anyway, that’s enough from me for now. :wink:

1 Like

I wish I could help further, but I’m still trying to understand the coding used for these games. Apologies.

And Tinstar is a western epic :laughing: however, when I first read the title I thought it was going to be a space story and tinstar was the name of the spacecraft or something haha but nope. I was centuries off

1 Like

Yes.

I chose to help the wounded, at which point the guy teaches me how to magically heal, which involves awakening my magic, and hence choosing the color.

Then the game acts like I hadn’t already awakened my magic and then gave me the other scene where one can awaken their magic.