I'm thinking about making writing my career

Thanks for the long and detailed response. I see your point.

I do think artistic freedom is paramount but I will also be glad to work with publishers as long as our values are aligned and I am not forced to do something I don’t agree with.

Regardless, I am very thankful for your response. You have given me a lot to think about.

1 Like

No problem. I meant what I said in wishing you luck and saying I’m glad you want to write. My cousin’s daughter, who’s still very young, might be interested in doing so.

One thing I didn’t say is don’t be afraid of going against the grain with your writing. :slight_smile: Rules are there to be broken if you think you can do so well, after all.

Again, good luck.

1 Like

Thank You :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, I can sympathize. Back when I was in research I had a lot more clout and income, but also no free time to write. At all. The job consumed my energy, and it was only after I (due to changing circumstances and a small mental break) I switched careers to a ‘grunt job’ that I had the opportunity to pursue my writing career.

Career… that’s the trouble here, ennit? Because writing is something that takes time. I’ve been working full time (and writing on the side) since 2010, but it was only 2018 I started making real money. Not enough to quit my job, mind you, but it helped. The thing that made me money (Fallen Hero) I had been working on since about 2014 on and off, and that’s the thing here.

You won’t make money immediately, even if you sell really well. A writing career builds up over time, since once it is out, it will keep selling. Once you publish your next thing, that will add to it. If you get well known enough that people might be interested in supporting a Patreon, that adds to it as well. But it is a gradual build.

I consider myself very lucky for a first time author with no following (English is my second language too). All my bookkeeping is in Swedish kronor, so they vary a bit depending on the dollar. If I assume an exchange rate of 8skr to the dollar, my 2018 income (published mid march) was around $11 250 (not counting any expenditures), in 2019 it was around $8 400 (no launch spike). 2020 might be similar from the looks. That’s not counting Patreon, which is too new to judge. What will happen when I publish my second book, we’ll see. It will be interesting.

My advice to you is to be smart. You have written fanfiction, and you obviously want to do this. You need to find time to write. Yes, I know it is hard, but you can’t quit your career and start from scratch. You need to get something out there first. Yes, it will probably take a few years, but writing ain’t fast. And if you really want to do this, you need to think in terms of decades, not months. Doing this will require sacrifices a lot more complex than just quitting your job, writing full time, and then maybe earn a little in two years. You need to plan for it, and from the sound of things, you’ve already started with the financial bits. House, car, no loans. Nice.

Now comes the hard part. Figuring out what part of your life you can cut down on. Yes, the obvious one is work, but you can’t quit yet. So the hard balance becomes cutting back on the space it occupies in your mind. Try to avoid bringing it home with you. Detach yourself, little by little. Remind yourself that this is temporary. A means to an end. Good money now so you can save up for the future. Sometimes it helps to have a goal that is not a career to make the actual work bearable.

The other part will be your social life. Yeah. Fun things, playing videogames, meeting up with friends, all those things. Can you skip anything there?

Being a writer means making tough choices. You won’t be a social butterfly. You won’t be able to play all the games, or see all the shows you used to. You need to get used to saying no to fun nights out, or the social functions you took for granted.

What you need to do is finish your first book (or interactive fiction). And yes, most writers do that while holding down a full time job, and in some cases also raising a family. It can be done. If you want it enough.

22 Likes

A good post, Malinryden. I have to ask a question though.

Aren’t most writers anti-social? :wink: I largely joke, but I often say I should come with a board that reads ‘weird writer here, keep away’. Or well, considering I don’t do much writing of late, ‘weird guy, keep away’.

2 Likes

Thank You! What you have said makes a lot of sense. I should think in terms of decades. There is no shortcut to success.

Also, I should not blame everything bad on my current line of work. Although I have gotten increasingly disillusioned with the government whose bureaucracy I am a part of.

For instance, just yesterday, a person with political “connections” did something very bad to their maid. While I am not a cop, I work in Administration. It is a little hard to explain to those unfamiliar with the system. I suppose the closest European analogue would be Her Majesty’s Home Civil Service in the United Kingdom. Anyway, after seeing the terrible condition the lady was in, I had the local cops arrest the perpetrator. Within thirty minutes, I started getting calls from politicians asking for the man’s release. When I refused to do so, my immediate superior arrived and released the perp anyway and that was followed by a long lecture about negotiating the complex waters of politics.

This is just one example and it is not even the worst one.

I guess my desire to write and draw, my disinterest in the job and my general disenchantment resulted in a bit of an epiphany.

But I also need to be practical. The most important lesson I took from your post is that instead of resigning from work, I should try and cut down my social life and other recreational activities. While that doesn’t sound fun, chasing one’s dreams do require a lot of sacrifices.

Thanks a lot! It has been very helpful and eye-opening.

On a sidenote, I Iove Fallen Hero: Rebirth and I am pleasantly surprised to learn that it was your first published work.

2 Likes

As for me, I’m far from a published experienced writer, so you can completely disregard what I say, no hard feelings.

Myself and people around me (basing the currency value of today, cause it is devaluing every day more and more) the average income afaik rounds the 2600 - 3800 Usd a year, so I don’t know if anyone around here would dare to quit such a privileged status.

Regardless of what people on a 3rd developing country would do, being forced to follow a path that you don’t care for must be frustrating (I myself hate virtually any kind of politics so I can relate somehow), I don’t love my job, it doesn’t fulfill me either, but I never fought to change much either, it is a job and I can pay the bills with it, so I can’t complain. At some point of my life I might have had a similar crossroad about leaving the country or staying here, but I didn’t hesitate to choose cause the only friend I had made in all my life didn’t wanted to come along so…

Fulfilling dreams might not be something that I have much experience either, though, for me it isn’t about the finish line but the road itself. There are goals of course, but that could lead to feeling empty once you cross them (I can show you more things about biology and psychology if you want to understand how we usually work but it might derail out of topic a little bit). Though if you are a creative person I don’t think you should fear that. Just know that things usually change, things you like may not stay like that always.

I don’t know if it’s possible, but I see you picturing your problem as a bet all in to one or the other, that doesn’t sound like a calculated risk to me. Maybe you could try to find a balance 50/50 or whatever, between work and writing to see how it goes, and if it’s something that you want to carry on with, and maybe starting to build a base for the future as an author without ditching the job you already have all at once. Again, I don’t know if you have a chance to work less to free up some time, so you’ll have to figure it out yourself. Another choice could be to change the job to one that doesn’t consume so much of your time to still have an income while you start on writing until you manage to make the writing your full time job/career. Cutting expenses might also extend the amount of time you can survive with your savings if you opt to quit your job. It may be a sacrifice for you but here we don’t even think about servants or anything like that. I’m 30 and I don’t have a house nor a car either, but I have some free time to do my things, I could have got a car or something maybe if I wanted, but it seems I value free time more than all the effort and all that it takes to reach that kind of monetary value, though I wasn’t forced in any direction as you have. I’m still trying to reach for a house mainly, but that’s a long term struggle I’ve been fighting for like 8+ years now, so you already have quite some resources you can use to your advantage.

Maybe I’m not considering how much the cost of living is on that country but I know that that may differ a lot, so another radical idea would be to move out to somewhere else where it is cheaper to live, that way you would have more time to live with your savings until you can again start to earn the income you desire from writing.

All in all it is a hard choice, and whatever you choose I hope you find what you want to find at the end.

1 Like

First of all, Thank You for taking the time to reply.

I would never disregard anything given the fact that you took the time to help when you didn’t have to.

As Malin Ryden suggested, I guess a better bet would be to cut down on other activities. So yes, you are right.

As for the “help”, I don’t care about having them. And if I do happen to quit my job, they will be gone anyway so that wouldn’t cut into my savings. And I really cannot think of a cheaper place to live in. The value of our currency against the United States Dollar is very less.

Also, I am sorry you were unable to move where you wanted to but then again, true friends are rare, so it must have been worth it.

It wasn’t the place where I wanted to go but the place from where I wanted to leave jaja. And yes, I only have one friend so it counts a lot, like almost the 90% of relations I have I may say. Don’t be sorry, life is a b*tch anyways, who knows what it would been of me if I would have gone, anyways, you have to keep moving forward.

I also had to cut down my time on another things to be able to write as it was said already, but I didn’t ever had social life so it wasn’t like a sacrifice but a change of focus, so maybe you should think how much you really love to write and how much of the things you do you’ll want to stop doing in order to transfer that time into writing.

Aside from that, your job seems really discouraging, and that could have caused your brain to make a click and start to think “what the hell am I doing with my life?”
You have a hard choice on your hands, so I would recommend you to think it through considering all your options, but maybe there’s no need to take a hard choice after all and you can do it more progressively.
I hope I can put a hard choice like that on my book jaja.
Anyways, I wish you the best.

1 Like

Thanks! I wish you the best too.

I feel for you in this situation, I really do. It’s been a year since I started my WIP and I have a full time job that I hate very much as well. It’s exhausting, going to a place every day for 8-12 hours, hating every second of it, and then trying to figure out any life route that could be better (i.e. writing). I can’t give you advice about finances as I am in my early twenties and figuring it out myself, but (and I say this with a heavy heart) sometimes the unfortunate circumstances we find ourselves in are for the best.

I think for someone as young as you to be in good financial standing right now is going to provide you with more opportunities than starting over and trying to make it as a writer (not saying this is impossible), quitting your job that supports you is going to cause great financial stress, and that may be more overwhelming than toughing out the job you currently have.

My advice is just to plan ahead, be a pessimist and an optimist, what’s the worst thing that could happen? Plan for that. What’s the payoff? Make that a goal. Just play things smart and you’ll be okay. I wish you the best of luck!

1 Like

I’m trying to be a firefighter because it’d bring me everything I want/need a livable wage, desire to help people and free time to write because that’s my actual life’s aspirations but a dude has bills and responsibilities. Firefighter’s work two days on and have 5 days off (at least where I live) to spend basically doing as they please most work another job (Like my instructors) or pursue their hobbies like my cousin that started a construction business and hopefully like I will with writing. I’m halfway through my EMT classes and still working full-time. Writing as a career like other have said is risky that’s why I’m aiming for this route

2 Likes

What can I add to this? Harsh reality. Be ready to write for ten years, release 4 books or so and none of them will earn you much money. Most writers start like that. You have to be ready that you might never succeed. Only that 0,01% of writers earn tons of money. Day job (if you hate it, try to change to another) will be there for a very long time. In the end, the most important question you must ask yourself: Do I enjoy writing that much, that even if I don’t succeed in years to come I won’t feel like have wasted my life?

If anyone knows Shad Brooks (on YT: Shadiversity), then he is pure inspiration to others (for me 100%). He has family if I’m not wrong 3 kids. A wife that has health issues and himself. He wrote 8 books that never released, kept learning, and enjoying the craft. While being poor and even transitioning from full-time work to part-time (thus getting even poorer), and last year he finally released a book to the public. Tears of joy. This might help too:

2 Likes

@iota Yeah! I need to be more careful and not take any rash decision. Thanks for taking the time to write and good luck with your WIP. I am sure it will be great.

@MadmanX I am glad you have found to way to pay the bills and pursue your dreams. I suppose I should find the golden mean as well. Kind of like what the Buddha said. XD

@Kefs Thanks for replying. I am actually familiar with Shad. Yes, he is quite the inspiration. And I have decided to cut down on my social activities and try to work slowly on my creative endeavours rather than outright quitting my job.

3 Likes

Thanks lol it took awhile I’m in my mid twenties a series of unfortunate events and a good ol quarter life crisis helped piece it together so I hope your process is smoother

1 Like

It was really interesting to read this thread now, seeing those who actually made it happen versus those that didn’t. The guy who made the thread was a non-starter, but obviously that was not the case for folks like Cataphrak and Nocturnal.

The OP joined in March 2013 and was only active on the forums until September 2013. Hope they’re doing well these days and that they found something that brings them joy (and gainful employment).

@MadmanX Thanks!

@hustlertwo Your post prompted me to read through the thread and you are right, it was a very interesting read. Sad to see all that optimism end up to nothing though. But who knows, maybe he is doing great.

1 Like

You never know. I didn’t know what I was writing plot wise or format wise for awhile so it became years of lore. Literally years because I at least was confident with the world and people I kept thinking of. A week or two ago randomly a plot and plan emerged, I’m working on a series of short e-books to explain the lore and world the way I see it and if all goes well sales and interest wise, it’ll tie in together for a full length novel. The fact that it’s been my pet project made me more hesitant to use it in any capacity traditional, e-book or even interactive like originally imagined. Because a massive “what if?” type fear. I’m also contemplating a relationship advice blog because that’s been the focus that took priority and ruined most my other ambitions. In short the guy who started the thread could of done something and we just don’t know it 🤷

2 Likes

Ah, I just gotta say. And there’s no way this isn’t going to sound a little harsh, but it’s only because I want people avoiding the mistakes I made.

I’m 25. I’ve been trying to be a decent or at least successful writer since I was 16. It’s good to have dreams, but sometimes you do just need to be prepared for the worst case scenario. Not that anyone should give up on trying to make anything exactly, but it’s important to have a stable regular job to support yourself. The distinct lack of consistent full time work, means I’m forced to share an apartment with my parents, I don’t have the money or place for myself to be looking for a boyfriend, and it’s not uncommon for me to spend months at a time in depression.

Truth is…it’s kind of bothersome to hear younger writers tell me that I inspire them or they want to be like me. What they see is that occasionally, when things are going right I throw out some work that gets praise from people, but what they don’t see is the almost constant day to day struggle of just trying to find reasons to get up in the morning. I’ve come to terms with my lack of talent, so I’m not spending anymore time trying to make games anymore. I’m still kind of half trying to write my book, but I wouldn’t say there’s really much of anything worth talking about on that front.

I DO believe that there are other people capable of making these things happen, but as unfortunate as it is, not everyone can live up to their dreams. I’m tired of just wishing for things that are never going to happen. But that doesn’t mean other people should give up. No. I’m saying it because if things don’t work out, they should still a life going right from them. Writing should something you spend spare time on, but if you’re dedicated to turning it into your life focus, you have to be prepared for what exactly that means if it doesn’t work out. But young people have what I don’t. They have options.

They can make something of their lives with a stable career and pursue writing in the spare time. They have the ability to not take the same forks in the road or make the same mistakes and I hope everything works out for them. I do. And I also want it so that they can feel like they still have a life for them if things don’t work out the way they want. There’s a future ahead for young authors and they should be working not just on writing projects, but also working on giving themselves the best possible life.

That’s my point. I want them to live the best possible life, and sometimes that means facing uncomfortable truths we’d rather not talk about. Aspiring authors can accomplish more than I ever did, and I encourage them to do it. It still doesn’t hurt anything to make sure they have a regular life to look forward too. Give what you got to all aspects of your life, not just one. Do what it takes to be successful in all of them. It’s an option you have, and it shouldn’t be wasted! Work towards all your life goals. Believe you can get there, but don’t throw your other options away. You can accomplish a lot of things. Don’t feel like you need to lose your chances at a successful career and social life just to be a successful writer. You have options. Prove the people who say you need to lose them wrong. Go for the best of all possible worlds. You have that option. Don’t forget that.

4 Likes