I need help with stats, choices and customization

Hello there, i am currently having trouble with stats (opposed stats) and choices (a choice that leads to another choice)

The opposed stats on the right hand (the blue one) refuses to increase no matter number i type in, only the one on the left increases (the red one). The choices are not showing (well, one is the other one isn’t). And for the customization. I have looked through the forum and found some threads that helps with character customization (hair, gender, eye, skin etc) but even after some time, i still don’t understand it.

My code looks like this: Well, the one for the choice

*choice
  #You could feel yourself tearing up.
    You placed both your hands tight against your mouth to muffle your sobs.
    *set Emotional %+ 10
    *choice
      #You hoped that everything would be okay.
         As you held your hand against your mouth, you couldn't help but pray and hope that everything would be fine.
        *set Optimist %+ 10
        *finish
      #You know that everything was not okay.
        As you held your hand against mouth, you somehow knew that everything was not okay and this in return, made you cry harder.
        *set Pessimist %+ 20
        *finish      
  #You glared at the door wanting to tear it down.
     You clenched your fist in anger and gritted your teeth. You wanted to break the door and rush out but a small reasonable part of you stopped you from doing so.
    *set Impulsive %+ 10
    *choice
      #You hoped that everything would be okay.
         With your fist clenched, you hoped and prayed that if you do burst through that door, everything would be fine.
    *set Optimist %+ 10
        *finish
        You gritted your teeth once again in anger because you know- you just know that everything was not okay.
    *set Pessimist %+ 20
        *finish      
  #You calmed yourself down and stared at the door stoicly.
    For a child, you were doing a very good job at keeping calm… but would it last?
    *set Stoic %+ 20
    *choice
      #You hoped that everything would be okay
        Even though you didn't show any emotion, you hoped deep inside you that everything was okay.
    *set Optimist %+ 10
        *finish
        You let out a small sigh. Even if no one told you, you just know that everything was not okay.  
    *set Pessimist %+ 20
        *finish

And for the stats

*create Compassionate 50
*create Cruel 50
*create Emotional 50
*create Stoic 50
*create Bold 50
*create Timid 50
*create Impulsive 50
*create Cautious 50
*create Arrogant 50
*create Humble 50
*create Finesse 50
*create Brutal 50
*create Aggressive 50
*create Peaceful 50
*create Optimist 50
*create Pessimist 50

*stat_chart
    opposed_pair Cruel
     Compassionate
    opposed_pair Impulsive
     Cautious
    opposed_pair Emotional
     Stoic
    opposed_pair Arrogant
     Humble
    opposed_pair Finesse
     Brutal
    opposed_pair Aggressive
     Peaceful
    opposed_pair Optimist
     Pessimist

sorry if my english is bad and you don’t understand what i wrote there (english is hard)

When using opposed_pair, I recommend you use this syntax

opposed_pair [variable name]
            [Left side end label name]
            [Right side end label name]

This means, that for each stat, you will keep one variable. Let’s take for example “Emotional”. If you want to become more Emotional you will use Emotion %+ 20. If you want to become more Stoic, you will use Emotional %- 20, and on your stat page, you will have something like

opposed_pair Emotional
            Emotional
            Stoic

You can use the syntax with two variables as you used there, but I find the one with 3 parameters more flexible (you can change the name easier). But in order to make your solution work, you have to the same thing (only change the first variable + when you want to increase the stat, - for increasing the opposing pair).

As for the choices not working, I’m not sure if the indentation you posted is like the one in the code, but when you set a stat, it should be indented the same amount as the text. So, for example this:

should be like this:

You let out a small sigh. Even if no one told you, you just know that everything was not okay.  
        *set Pessimist %+ 20
        *finish

Second thing is that *choice should always end in a scene change or a label jump (*goto, *goto_scene or *finish).

There is a chance that these kinds of structures might bug out. You can replace *choice with *fake_choice and it will do the same thing and you won’t have the restriction of having to go somewhere on every branch.

2 Likes

Tysm, i can’t believe i was struggling with this for days

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.