I need help with guns How they work?

Darling, my vampire could make any gun look sexy :wink:

Joking aside, is the idea that we’ll eventually buy a bunch of weapons, then? I was thinking of it like you’d specialize in one, or maybe have a few, and choose which to bring before each “mission.”

1 Like

If you came from a origin of a slayer You could choose a specific specialty in guns unarmed or melee. Other origins as mage or normal human could learn to shoot and that but will never been really good at that at least in this game scope. yes i am already creating the inventory and equipment menu that includes one underwear one accessory clothing and a melee and a gun weapons. magic spells are automatic

I wouldn’t really want to track gun stats in a Choicescript game unless it’s specifically a gunsmith game where the gun stats are your primary character stats. If the MC would be buying them off the rack I don’t think the stats would add enough granularity and differentiation to be worth the stat page space.

I’d want guns to be distinguished by effective range, rate of fire, and how much damage each hit inflicts, and also shotguns are famed for having all kinds of weird ammo so you could put Dragon’s Breath rounds in when you’re going after a monster that burns real good or suchlike, but I wouldn’t be interested in this being granular enough to be comparing multiple semiautomatic rifles. I’d rather pick between submachine gun, assault rifle, hunting rifle, and shotgun and just have gun:shotgun on the stats page.

1 Like

Cool. Since you’re including a bunch of other combat options, maybe you could consider a system of stats that would be applicable across the board (magic/unarmed/gun). So something like:

• Range
  • Accuracy
  • Damage (if that’s something you want to track)
  • Area of effect/attacks per round
  • Special effects (kills werebears! Momentarily stuns other vamps!)

So readers can think, like, “oh, I have a spell that does X, so I don’t need a gun that does it,” or “I’m really bad at unarmed combat, better pick up a close-range gun”

2 Likes

This is not a shooter so there is no damage for second as this is not in real life I could add the distance as a penalty etc but you can’t expect that a choice of game works in real time counting damage per seconds.
It is a world were mages resurrect corpses and are amulets that stop missiles so i don’t think weapons would have something to do with our moder weapons as we don’t have magic to deal with in real life

Yeah I think i should make something like that even if combat is not main focus many players would like working on catch monsters and that combat to make money and to the few main bosses in the story.

Well, if they’re meaningfully describable as guns they’ll probably map to the kinds of guns we have in real life in some fashion, at least as much as sci-fi energy weapons tend to.

I wouldn’t track rate of fire super closely, but being able to hold down the trigger and spray ten bullets across a room in one second is meaningfully distinct from firing one bullet every five seconds tops and would significantly impact my decision of whether to hang well back in concealment sniping or charge straight in to relatively close quarters.

1 Like

That’s true and I hadn’t think in that so thanks. I will make mods to change some variable in guns as distance triggered using magic nearby make a concealed gun shot etc

For gun stats, I’d use:
Firepower. (The amount of damage each shot deals).
Firerate. (How fast each shot is fired).
Accuracy. (How precise each shot is).
Ammo. (How many rounds are left in the weapon).

Optional:
Condition. (How intact the weapon is).
Range. (How far each shot can reach).

1 Like

You talking about Green Hornet? That was pretty funny. Underrated movie really. Although my primary cinematic memory of this big ol’ fella is Snatch. Bullet-Tooth Tony is the best.

It really depends how complicated you want to get

Your options are okay for a real world game. Mine it isn’t. How fast gun shot is not needed as gun only will be effective in sneak situations as mostly all creatures you will shoot can generate shields against normal weaponry. Guns are only usable when people are unaware of your presence due shields are costly to maintain aren’t normally used all time. So fire rate and fast rate are not needed even if weapon will have flavour text about fast or not and that.

Sincerely use gun weapons in my game are really really stupid as magic and melee are like double better. But I think due the open world section and the fact to see shops and that is needed have them. It will be usable and useful to some people and useless to others. Even if a pretty weapon makes you look cool so everyone will want have a cool weapon due charisma boosts

Why not stick with magic then? From what I’ve read, you’d have to jump too many hoops to make gun use worthwhile.

Does the setting have magical enchantments? If so, you could then enchant different items to make ranged magical weaponry that will be better than guns, while working on the similar principle. “This wand pokes holes in things, this staff makes holes in 'em and this magic log leaves holes (in the form of craters)”

This is not a medieval fantasy if you go walking with a wand of a rod people will laughing at you very hard. Guns still are useful against normal humans as are in our world . The main enemy of Our free city are a very Inquisition empire that kills everything born with magic powers. that is why weapons are practical and used as a practical way of fighting as normal empire soldiers hasnt enchanted stuff . However this game has the entire plot happening inside the city with magic barriers anywhere. So is not guns weapons are always useless. Is just most useless in this current situation. Still a master in guns could of goes for a stealth route killing lots of enemies with that. It depends entirely in how player decide go with his character.

How do these magic shields work? If they have to be activated that delay could make a lot of difference depending on the rate of fire. For example an assault rifle could fill you with bullets before you even know what is happening. I’d suggest plot out the details of the shields first. Do they have to be activated, do they cover the whole body or is it directed? Are they unbreakable or can they only stop a certain amount of damage?

These kind of facts could help with gun facts.

If this helps UnNatural has mental stat which determines your accuracy, a firearms variable which determines how much mental you need, then the gun has a set clip size and certain guns also lower the check needed.

1 Like

If you have a shielding is automatic it is light speed activated . No bullet no matter the size of potence would harm shield person. It requires lot of energy to maintain it so the shields only triggers when someone triggers the alarm of the spell normally runes placed in the area or in the person with shield. So if you are sneaking you could make a shot before shields activate Shields protect 360 and covered at least two metres around the target. Shields doesn’t protect against slow projectiles so melee and magic works .

So a sneaky pc could go behind and shoot the mage in the head before shield activate and go melee or magic to fight it, if the mage has survived.

So far I decided for
Magic weapons only usable by mages
Small weapons
Explosive gadgets
Crossbows and snipers
Card launchers weapons.

Cards like Magic are in fact magical and use in tournaments. So you have to use card launchers.

Each gun has stats but your agility will determine your accuracy that and if you are trained or not.

I would go for something like:

Damage
Range
Ammo/Uses

Those could be used for all ranged weapons, to simplify things…

1 Like

I think as this game will handle combat you will never be at really far range from the target so distance won’t be really a main importance It is far more accuracy as in most enemies you will only have one chance. Same with ammo as you will shoot really few shots ammo capacity is not as useful as might look at first.

The type of ammo as stun poisoning sleeping effects are far more important . An that could be extremely useful as for instance poison a wereboar and then go melee poison would make werebear like 50%slower

If the shield activates at lightspeed and is automatic then even close range a bullet wouldn’t be fast enough. I’d suggest making them not automatic but the user has to consciously activate it.

1 Like

That’s a good idea however still to be activated the rune has to detect something so If uou didn’t trigger the rune the bullet will pass before the shield get active as have to pass the rune to trigger the shielding. If the mage has to automatically activated the shield that would make a gun pc enter at night in a centre and slaughter everything sleeping And I don’t want that due the point is enter and confront enemies with stealth not shotgun game I mean that would make all my choices useless and magic and melee useless. Balance melee magic and guns is a pain in the ass lol