I Am Not The Hero [WIP - updated 5 Jan 2022]

Woooow :blush: :blush: you want to… draw fanart?? :flushed: :flushed: :flushed: I never imagined this level of support, I’m speechless :flushed:
Most of the details are up to interpretation, though generally, the MC’s voidborn appearance is “cliche evil” and the features reflect this (eg. scaly or bat-like wings rather than feathered ones, etc).
But to answer your specific questions, I imagined: black/dark hair, constantly glowing eyes (though perhaps the mc will learn to control this later on), skin tone is entirely up to interpretation (human form as well), knee-down hooves (in keeping with the “basically human” body shape).

My bad, you are supposed to hear it in Chapter 1 but I must have messed up somewhere. It’s been added to my to-do list!
I will also change the name selection as you suggested (and perhaps give an option to redo it/make a new choice if the player changes their mind).

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback! And I’m glad you like the story :blush: :blush:

7 Likes

WHOOPS something went seriously wrong here, you were supposed to get an entirely different scene if you take the money
Sorry about that :sweat: it should be fixed now, thanks for catching this

3 Likes

i get a bit baldurs gate vibes and i like it :smiley:

2 Likes

Interesting story, congratulation on it @Ilam
Is definitely gonna come back for more!! :two_hearts:

I want to know: If there is a reason the choosing on™, is not on the list of people we can have a relationship with? :thinking:

1 Like

I take all my exasperation back. It turns out the forum does need another fantasy WiP, and this is the exact one I’m talking about. Sticking around for sure.

4 Likes

Honestly, when I was gonna read this I didn’t expect much, but this was great! Definitely sticking to see how it develops, kudos.

3 Likes

I really like the concept of this WIP, very fun to read !
I’m looking forward to the next update^^

2 Likes

This, this right here is a great WIP. Getting to play the role of not the hero or the villain but as a subordinate for the villain isn’t really something you see a lot which made me get hooked on it. Can’t wait to draw fanart of this wip :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have to admit that I was half of the reading grinning like a 5-year-old child, the truth is I see a future for this new WIP, I hope and it manages to make it as popular as many others here in the Forum

4 Likes

Who is pc if it’s not mc?

Hmmm… no one? The mc is a character with a defined personality, not a player-insert. For example, the player can determine the mc’s actions, but can’t determine how the mc reacts to those decisions.
…but ultimately, it’s just semantics :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yup. Instead of outright following the orders of his creator, my own MC is just sitting back, observing everything for now. As a more neutral observer–because apparently our creator had the… What even are the best words for this? Capricious kindness? Arrogant audacity? A lack of foresight? The dark one literally just let our MC’s have free will when they were created, and mine isn’t sure if this is a good thing, or bad–my MC is curious what will happen later if the chosen one is allowed to succeed in destroying his master. Will he cease to exist altogether? Or somehow persist, even if it’s only for a year, or two? The dark one will apparently be destroyed after the hero collects this “third artifact” that my MC learned about from the Wizard at the inn. A wizard who apparently likes my MC enough to invite him along even though he claimed to be a “story teller” which doesn’t sound like a practical, or useful companion to just invite along on a dangerous quest if you ask me. Could be the wizard wasn’t fooled, and just invited him out of curiosity. I wouldn’t know at this point, considering these people seem to be overly trusting to non-hostile beings. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Okay wow, bookmarked, and I’ll be keeping up with this. It’s already really fun and also stands out from a lot of the WIPs on the forum right now. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Hoping that in the future, our MCs can choose to reveal that they’re Voidborn with the party’s reaction dependent on past choices.

I actually have just a really, really tiny nitpick: anywhere you are using two hyphens (–), you could replace those with an em dash (—). It might make your text look more aesthetically pleasing whenever these pop up.

6 Likes

Great WIP ! I’m very excited to see what comes next. I have a question: If the player can’t control what the PC feels but only their actions, will their feelings toward the party always be the same ? Or will they be influenced by our actions ? (like, choosing to join them or to keep our distance)

2 Likes

My assumption is that the player simply doesn’t control the MC’s thoughts directly, but it would make sense for MC’s thoughts to still be shaped by the story. For example, in my playthrough, I selected ALL the options in favor of the group, and the MC didn’t seem too hostile towards them, mostly confused about their own actions, in a way, but I’m sure selecting all options that would be hostile towards the team would also lead to a more hostile MC, on the long run? I think the “destabilization” stat will play a huge role in that - unsurprisingly it was relatively high for my playthrough.

4 Likes

Okay, thank you. I was just confused a bit. Though I’ve read summary and warning several times.

Right now, I have permanent variables to keep track of most major “personality-changing” decisions (eg. if the mc helps the humans in Chapter 1, if they steal from Inya in Chapter 2, etc). The MC does act differently if you make certain choices over others, as @Konoi mentioned, and some of this carries on into future chapters with “flavour text” added based on these permanent variables.
There aren’t currently any numerical stats that change how the mc acts/reacts. It might eventually become unmanageable to do it this way, but I’m new to choicescript and this is the most intuitive way I could think to do it :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I think numerical stats may be easier to deal with - from what I see other authors do and from talking with some of them (since I don’t code in CScript) - but on the other hand, the way you do it allows to truly make choices matter, and I’m strongly partial to that method, especially when the MC is a true character.

7 Likes

This has really caught my eye, not often you see a protagonist with this sort of perspective on things.

2 Likes

It’d be weird to kill them anonymously, so I say, “My name is Visgath.” Visgath is the name the Night Lord gave me—again, without consulting me—and this is the first time I’ve used it. “The Night Lord sends his regards.

holy shit is that a proZD reference

13 Likes