How To See Other Games' Code (current info posted in OP and Post 146 on 6/18/19)

Just wanted to add this here for Mac users who purchased their game on Steam.

Finder > Go > (hold alt) Library > Application Support > Steam > steamapps > common > (right click on game icon) show package contents > contents > resources > deploy > scenes

3 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how to view a games code on windows 10 so I can see how the choices affect the stats. Does anyone know how to do this?

You just neednto follow what the instruction on the first post. You just need an internet browser for it and have the CoG version of the game unlocked.

Sorry for the inconvenience but the Steam method no longer seems to work. I’ve been trying to find the scenes folder for Fallen Hero but the old methods don’t seem to work. There is no option to extract the executable. And I can’t get use the browser method without repurchasing the game, and I’d rather not buy it twice if I don’t have too. I’m not trying to edit the code, just look at it, any tips?

Use 7-zip and plugin from this post

to open app.asar in steamapps\common\Fallen Hero Rebirth\resources folder.

3 Likes

How do you view sub scenes? For example…

Go to the following link and search hobby. The code is instructed to reference sub scenes. I am asking because in this instance, the hobbies improve stats and I am trying to figure out which ones I want and how much they help so I can plan my character build accordingly…

https://www.choiceofgames.com/user-contributed/zombie-exodus-safe-haven/scenes/chapter2.txt

1 Like

Look at the keyword on the *goto command. Then, ctrl + F that keyword.

E.g.

*goto_scene hobby improve
  1. Go to hobby.txt
  2. Ctrl + F *label improve
  3. Profit
3 Likes

If you absolutely have to dig around in an *.apk files, better treat the package as a standard archive which you can open with any file manager. It’s not encrypted in any way.

If not, a disclaimer would be prudent to point out that the app in question is a third party software you download from a website not associated with google. Messing with certificates is discouraged in the first place, so use it at your own risk.

1 Like

I have some questions regarding this? I know the thread is a bit old but the question pertains to exactly this.

So, when I try to go in on a folder from Steam… from SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/(game name file)… there is no resources folder. And there are no .asar files. The only folder appearing after the game name folder is /locales, which has a bunch of .pak files in it. I don’t know if this is because of something to do with my own system configuration, something about permissions or something in general on my end, or if it’s something to do with the Steam files currently. I’m using Windows 8.1 (weird, yes, but there it is) I basically want to view published files for a sense of how authors organize their work and see if I can glean some ideas from this.

I can open the .asar files in notepad, but they’re scrambled and illegible. I’ve got 7-zip, but nothing to target with it, and none of the extensions deal with .pak files.

Actually solved this issue- using 7-zip, it turns out that right clicking on the application file in the /(game name folder) and selecting ‘open archive’ presents a scenes folder, which you can go into and simply open any of the .txt files there into notepad. Simple, and already present in the most recent 7-zip download. Just the methods for doing this need this friendly update. : )

Edit: This doesn’t work for newer games, unfortunately. There are some other methods discussed that might help regarding asar files, but I’ve not taken the time to test them.

1 Like

How to on phone?¿
Nvm i git it
Nvm cant view all the choice ;(

How can i see the game script? I wanna see how the other choice affect the stat and what happen when u reach 100 bond?

i did that but can not view all of the code

Since Dragon Racer is already published, there’s no longer any dashingdon link you can use. But still, the best way to “see the code” is through PC by unpacking the game files.

Personally, I’d do it by “pak-ing” the game in my android with some APK software, move the .pak files to my PC, and unzip it to see the /mygame/scenes content.

2 Likes

What app are you using?

Backup & Restore.
Find the archived file manually using your phone’s file manager (in my Redmi 5, it’s Internal Storage > App_Backup_Restore > Archived). Then you can put it on your PC via cable data, or upload it to drive.

Even the app itself has built-in GDrive integration. nvm, I can’t connect it to my drive.

2 Likes

finally got it. any way to make this easier to view?

Open .txt instead of .json. Also, I recommend using notepad++ instead of built in editor. Way more functionality and also free.

2 Likes

That’s weird. On my end, the codes are indented properly.
Granted, I don’t extract the .apk, but browsed the files directly using my WinRAR. The UTF-8 encoding might get “messed up,” in your case.

How do you code dive in cog games? I did it one time and can’t remember how.