How to Handle LGBT (etc) Customization Properly?

I’ve found getting beta testers involved early has been very inspirational. Writing projects like a choicescript are huge tasks and it’s easy to get lost in the weeds. After you’ve written 200,000 words it takes a lot of work to overhaul the game if you’ve gone in wrong directions.

For me personally I found getting testers involved at the 50,000 word mark has really helped me develop the game with their encouragement and feedback in mind. I get a lot of great ideas from the testers too, not just feedback. The more ideas from as many sources as I can get the better. Writing a choicescript game is an epic task (I’m just coming up to 240,000 words and still have months more work to do) I’ll take all the help I can get.

My next wip is going to have a lot of explicitly gay content as one of the arcs will be about the gay clubbing scene in England and Berlin in 1989.

8 Likes

While it’s always good to have more canonically gay characters, you should always be careful to ensure that all sexualities have a good selection of ROs available. Basically, as @Jose_Garcia says, listen to beta testers, especially if you’re dealing with a minority you’re not a member of. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And don’t forget that straight characters can have interesting relationships with gay ones. Not all relationships need sexual or romantic tension to be interesting.

9 Likes

that’s a truth most peole forget. Friendship routes

7 Likes

Sure, but it works for anyone, not specifically gay/straight relationships. Gay man and lesbian, pair of straight guys, straight man and straight woman who just aren’t romantically interested in each other, etc. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

Well, I’m bisexual. So I think that counts for something…

ehhh… it depends, I’d say. It’s bloody easy to accidentally only create RO’s and interactions one oneself might find okay, but others might be outright squicked out.