How to deal with necessary plot holes?

As others mentioned, I do not believe this to necessarily be a plot hole. You can, as the authority on the narrative, just convey the information that “out of the many possibilities for the position of X, there are three which appear more promising”, and then give specific reasons as to why any of the three would be adequate.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s what I was going to suggest, and this is one of the most common ways COG authors sort that kind of issue.

There are never necessary plot holes in writing. There are things the reader doesnt know and things the writer reveals to them.

If there is an apparent plot hole it is our responsibility as wordsmiths to fill it in to make as seamless an experience as possible.

Yet this is just my opinion.

4 Likes

Agreed. And hey, that’s what the forum is here for, so we can help each other out! :wink:

2 Likes

“Sire, I’ve narrowed your options down to three.” Done. No plot hole.

Also that wouldn’t be a plot hole.

So, this is considered a plot contrivance rather than a plot hole. If you just say “here’s 3 great candidates. There are others, but they are needed in their current roles” Or maybe only 3 applied. Depending on the MC’s rep/personality, could be a factor.

Nope, you’d get hundreds applying no matter what.

Aide-de-camp to a General-of-brigade and Crown Prince takes precedence over almost every role.

Fair on application numbers, but bear in mind I don’t know the story. Due to distance, communication, etc, it may not be the case that a lot know about the opening. Maybe you are only appointing an interim aide, who ends up staying in the role.

Also, a role taking precedence doesn’t mean there are no other considerations. Hamilton threatened to resign his commission if Washington didn’t release him as aide and let him command, for example.