How is Valve's policy change affecting Choice of Games?

So according to Valve, after they half-heartedly and sloppily attempted to remove a bunch of indie games that happened to contain nudity before being absolutely buried in the backlash (which would have never happened if say, they targeted all the games that don’t even contain games) they’ve decided to say “all bets are off.”

Does that mean the earlier agreement with COG is null or can at least be renegotiated? Because while this is a terrible day for everyone who wants to attempt to search through Steam, maybe it means the catalogue will move onto the platform that much quicker?

I don’t think so. They posted a statement today clarifying things:

So basically they are saying that, as long as it isn’t illegal, they’ll allow it.

They’re saying they’ll allow games. But I’m mostly wondering if this means things like an arbitrary limit of submissions for one particular company while other companies churn out dozens of games a month will continue to be a thing. Now that Valve has basically said anything goes, why bother with quantity control if there is no quality control?

There’s never been any quality control on Steam to begin with.

There used to be, but now I think they’re going for “let the market sort it out.”

I think CoG is okay; the new policy is likely to just unsplit the indie adult games that traditionally get split into a Steam version and an 18+ patch. We’ve never had any significant visual content, so we’re prolly okay. Valve isn’t Apple. :slight_smile: