How do you motivate yourself to code?

I’m wondering how do you get motivated to code in ChoiceScript? I for myself haven’t been able to write a single word just because I wasn’t motivated in doing so in the last few days. Don’t ask me why though; I do want to code, I just don’t feel motivated for doing so (i.e. why should I code?). What do you tell yourself to get your strength together and start coding when you want to but aren’t motivated in doing so? I’m really curious on this subject as I do need some methods.

Honestly, I only code for the love of writing. Of course, there are days when I don’t want to write. So essentially I sit down and treat it like a job. I force myself to do it and eventually inspiration comes. But I don’t sit and wait for inspiration, as I’ve learned that’s a bad way to get things done.

I actually enjoy, study and work with coding, so it’s not as hard for me to find motivation.

When I do need to, there are two methods I use quite often:

1. I compare it to worse things I could be doing. I.e. “I’d rather code than watch TV because coding will produce some sort of return”.

2. I motivate myself, I stop looking at the code as a necessary part of the game or system, I look at it as an opportunity. Innovate with the code, optimize with the code, do something new with the code. Go back and make things more efficient or code some cool (but useful) system.

Writing *if *if *if *choice *choice *choice *set *set *set - DOES - and ALWAYS WILL BE: Boring.

But if you get a REALLY good idea in your head, that will be your motivation and your drive.

Challenge yourself. A Challenge is unmatchable motivator.
The only thing more effective is satisfaction, which you’ll hopefully get from coding (in the long run).

Not that I’ve yet had a chance to code much but this is what I would do @AlexCosaraca
Step 1: drink a cup of coffe and have some chocolate this would help one get up and running.
Step 2: prepare a playlist of your absolute fav list of music or well just some reeelly epic music (for example “Blow me away” by breaking Benjamin (and I don’t say that bc I’m a BB fan I say it mainly bc it was on the Halo 2 sound track))
Step 3: listen to it while trying to code and hopefully the code will flow out of you and into CS
Hope this helps.

@Headhunter180 Breaking Benjamin is Best Band :smiley: (or they were …)

Aye! @CJW

Lol, @Headhunter180, coffee excluded, I’m 14. Chocolate is more than fine though.
@Everyone, I’ll be trying these out… thanks for the suggestions! :slight_smile:

Probably the thing that gets me most motivated sometimes is people telling me that I CAN’T and WON’T EVER do something (I love proving people wrong when it comes to that). It’s ashame nobody told me that I can’t and won’t ever finish a single game, let alone publish. [-X

For me, it comes down to a simple saying – “Do nothing, nothing happens.”

I see the end product in my mind; the game I want to play; the story I want to read. That’s my motivation. It doesn’t matter if I dislike doing certain elements; I WANT to see the end product and I want it to be good so that people can enjoy it too.

The only way to achieve that? Work. Write. Keep doing it. Set aside a certain amount of time per day or week and get your butt on the chair and make it happen.

@AlexCosarca “Coffee excluded, I’m 14.” Eh?

I’ve had a look at choicescript and I can imagine coding is a bit of work. I’ve had an easier experience with the easier CYOS template builder on their site. But, that’s only with dabbling in them. An online non-coding choicescript work might be an interesting addition I think?

@RVallant as far as coding goes, choicescript is actually very simple (which is a good thing, of course). Coding is really only as complicated as you want to make it anyway.
Template builders are great and all, but you’ll always have more control through code.

@Drazen, I don’t drink anything other than water (well, except tea). I assume drinking coffee isn’t great for someone which frequents school though (as myself).
@RVallant, usually, most engines that just let you “drag&drop” stuff so that you make a game also have a script editor/creator, which you can’t just NOT use when you want your game to be at least a normal one (because stealing other people’s work isn’t great). What I think is that programming can’t be reduced to the “drag&drop” style with having a full control (what I mean with drag&drop is that you don’t code but still can make a game, although without having full-control over it). Unity is a great example, and so is the RPG Maker engine (but in this case, since we’re talking about ChoiceScript, I assume there can never be such an advanced “drag&drop” style of ChoiceScript in which you can have even half the control you’ll have by coding a game yourself). Sure, these types of engines and languages that offer you this kind of capacity are nice as you can visually see what you’re making…and even though raw-coding a game doesn’t allow that in most cases, it offers you much more control over your game.

@AlexCosarca Ah, so you do drink tea. One cannot complain, in that case. I was simply shocked by your professed absence of the most virtuous consumption of hot beverages, on some bizarre age-related grounds.

@AlexCosarca I was actually considering (at one point) making a choicescript game that generates choicescript (which you’d then copy and paste into game files), for those who dislike the coding aspect.

As weird as it sounds I’m pretty sure it’s doable, but I eventually decided it’d be counter-productive of the community to make use of such a tool.

@AlexCosarca - Yes I’m aware there’s usually a coding option for most ‘drag and drop’ editors, though I don’t see how it ties into ‘stealing other people’s work’. Anyway, the difficulty of coding is presumably down to how much time people are willing to invest into it and the quickest option is usually something that doesn’t need coding at all but still retains game functionality or whatever the author intends to utilize.

YMMV though.

i code because i just find it fun to tell the truth i am accually a boring person, i don’t got anything fun to do lol

Well, by ‘stealing other people’s work’, I’m talking about people which use an “drag&drop” editor, want to add their own scripts so that their game actually works (for example, a “player” script or a “camera” script), and instead of doing it themselves, they just take the script from somewhere else (because they most likely don’t know to script themselves as they didn’t learn). I know that by experience; I used tens of engines until I got to ChoiceScript, and in each I was needed to learn to script to make a proper game (so far, ChoiceScript is the easiest programming language I found); therefore, I had to “inspire” myself from other people’s works (until I decided it wasn’t worth it doing so and I gave up on that engine).

Still, what’s YMMV?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=YMMV

I have to disagree with you @CJW on how easy it is to learn CS. I learned HTML in a day but still struggle with CS. Of course I have you and the rest of the community to back me up so, while time consuming and painful at times it has been well worth the effort. I will never be an expert at it but I have enough work arounds now that I can manage, until I try stretching the limits again lol.

@lordirishdas - HTML is a markup language, not a scripting language, so that’s a bad comparison. HTML is used to define a page’s layout, there’s no logic or ‘instructive programming’ involved.

Learning the commands doesn’t quantify to learning the language either, it’s learning how to apply it to different situations.

In effect, you never truly finish learning a language, there’s always something else you don’t know :wink:
Even with HTML… Are you familiar with the various doctypes and standards for example?

I’ve been using it for years and I can’t say I know even a quarter of HTML’s applications.