How do you develop book writing skills?

In a novel, character development is one of the important elements needed to write a book. Today, most modern novels are driven by characters. In other words, the story follows the growth and choices of the protagonist. Today you can get professional book writing services. If your character tells their story from an unreliable perspective, why? What do you like about the character? Like villains in a “love-hate” way, especially if you can understand how their motives are distorted over time and possess excellent qualities like wit. Think about your favourite character and how it grows as the story progresses. What challenges do they face inside and outside the company? Think about the “role” in your own life, the people you know. How do people grow and change? How did you grow and stagnate in your life?

1 Like

How do you get people to give you money while sounding dodgy af?

Edit: the post originally advertised a site that offered paid writing advice. Malin’s response is more helpful than my snark.

12 Likes

The simple truth is that the only way to develop book writing skills is to read many, and varied books, analyze what you liked with them, why you liked it, and how the author went about making you like them. Then write, and write a lot, make sure you finish your stories, and remember that you need to write a lot of crap before you get to the good stuff so don’t worry about polish at the start. Just write and have fun with it, fanfiction is a great start if you’re into that.

Also, ignore sites and books that want to sell you advice, courses, and guidelines.

15 Likes

i didn’t quite understand bits of these replies, but… lol ok i understand now.

beginners out there: there is no writing advice, technique, or tip that a fellow writer or writing blog won’t tell you or share with you for free. that and a healthy diet of reading, analysis, and writing, as @malinryden described.

9 Likes

I agree with @malinryden that reading books and deciding what you like will help, as will writing fanfiction. In addition, try role-playing (text based, where you take turns). If you find imaginative people with at least decent writing skills, it can really help you get more creative and be a better writer. It forces you to think on your feet since, may times, other characters may not react how you expect so you have to let your own characters respond accordingly. That helps you get better with developing and deepening characters.

4 Likes

There are some things some writers can’t teach themselves. For these things, workshops, professional and degree programs, and feedback are (imo) critical. I needed formal lessons to learn plot.

HOWEVER, in the age of degree mills, vanity presses, ghost writing, for-profit education, etcetera… not all things are equal. Not even craft books. So, buyer beware. Be very… ware. No impulse decisions. No predatory loans. Due diligence.

3 Likes

The OP didn’t mention IF writing, but since this is an IF forum, I think that may have been the implication. Could be wrong, though. But I do think it’s important to point out that no matter how good you are at writing books, writing a good IF also requires an understanding of game design, not just writing.

2 Likes

If I wanted to be served a nothing burger I’d go to McDonald’s.

Of course most modern novels are driven by characters. All stories are about characters. That’s like saying most modern novels have commas.

1 Like

I’m 4,500 words into my first novel. Which I know isn’t a lot but it’s a lot further than I usually get. The best bit of advice I think I’ve gotten is that I should try not to worry about my writing being bad at first, worry more about getting into a routine and practicing. Then when you have something you can start improving your stories quality.

3 Likes

Congratulations! That’s 4,500 words ahead of most people who say they want to write.

I teach creative writing on a part-time basis. The main thing we teach is technique. Writing is a craft like any other and while you can figure it out from first principles, it’s a lot harder that way.

I’d recommend trying to find a course that is ‘skills’ based. You can do the creative stuff yourself.

Good luck with it.

2 Likes