Hong Kong Blood Opera Updated 16th January

Okay, Just starting this game so far. I choose being a girl… But I am being accused to bang a girl and let her pregnant. I am called {name} before have choose my name. All options on clothing are male and ugly as hell. Except A summer dress who give me a error.

Your writing skills are good great mystery. Sadly I am forced to be a criminal even if all my choices has been being a writer with a legal life who don’t care dad. I want opcion of absolutely don’t care coma girl.
I feel like trying to be forced to be a criminal and care for a vengeance. I wasn’t show any signs of why I should care for a dad that seems violent.

still I want keep reading it. But please more charisma clothing for girls

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback it means a lot to me. I am going to have another pass through the beginning.

The nonviolent writer’s path needs a lot of work. It’s been neglected up to now but it’s an important part of the game and I want it to be there.

And the game as it stands is inconsiderate of women and gay men. I am not happy about that and want that to change.

I find it difficult to write all the paths at once.

4 Likes

I believe the wardrobe choices are going to get a significant update and upgrade in the near future, though I only really made suggestions for better male options. Maybe you could suggest some female ones as unlike male fashion female fashion really isn’t an area I’m knowledgeable or particularly interested in.

On the wrong side of the law certainly, “criminal” is a bit subjective. In any case I believe you can ally yourself with the cops through Donnie if you so choose. Which isn’t really a path for me as my character probably spends more on clothes alone in a year then the salary of the average cop or even detective.:grin:

Again, like the buddy cop one it is not really a path for my mc but I certainly commend you for making many varied branches and catering to some very divergent playstyles. Just take care not to get overwhelmed.

1 Like

Too late I am already overwhelmed. However I have the ability to focus on one thing at a time and I have a really good state tracking variable system. So I add one layer at a time.

Creating the writer path was a case of “eyes bigger than my stomach” and it is most definitely not in genre but I am determined on it.

Going to write some of it now.

2 Likes

It was just giving my opinion I understand is not even Beta.

What I was is more a half criminal half writer. Like I will be the laundry girl or doing shady stuff but from deals and intellectual business not combat. As it is know is like game wants me Be kunfu killer . Not the corrupt business man.
As girl I think options should be a jeans with a top and jewelry. A black dress with stilleto heels. And the summer clothes Maybe a prada business dress or something like that.

Still a very interesting story. Still hoe me a girl could get another girl pregnant? I was broken in laughing. lol I was do you know how babies are made?
Or if she can proof baby is mine she deserves a good money.

2 Likes

I can’t èen remember the pregnant bit. I am going to need to find it. I’ve written so many versions of so many paths that I am always a bit lost.

Thank you so much for your opinion it’s been very inspirational.

Shady business deals are governed by the cool stat mainly relation stats.

The playthrough you describe is possible it’s just not very well developed. You either have to manipulate others into fighting for you or you have to comedy your way through the action sequences.

Thanks again for your feedback. This is exactly what I need to be hearing at this stage of my project. And I really appreciate your help.

I can get a bit single minded when I am coding and it’s easy for me to lose perspective about the bigger picture.

4 Likes

No problem I am a role-player so I like offering alternatives to options that could fit several types of characters. Still, You don’t have to follow suggestions. Don’t overload yourself. And take your time. We understand is a very working process so errors or failure paths are to expect.

And don’t worry If I don’t like something I would tell you loud and clear.
I would seduce people to fight for me.

Hey @Jose_Garcia you got me in a bind with this vote mate. I could see either of these being a blast and it British Blood Opera would give the British gangster flicks some much needed love. In fact it would be awesome if you did both and had the MC of British Blood Opera show up in the sequel to help out the Hong Kong MC. Just a thought but damn if your world building is not on point with this one mate. Keep up the great work.

2 Likes

That’s a very good idea. I hadn’t thought of that.

@MindightWatcher I could combine Blood Opera and British Blood opera into one project with two MCs/timeperiods. So choices you make in British Blood Opera having consequences in the modern world as you go along.

4 Likes

Game freezes on this choice and I can’t proceed.

Thus far I am very much intrigued by plot.

1 Like

Yeah, i ended up there block too. The plot is interesting.

Thank you kindly for your kind words re the plot. There really isn’t much of a main plot to this game but there’s a lot of subplots. Hopefully it all ties together.

Thanks for spotting that bug. That part of the game should point to the main wardrobe code but there’s a legacy menu that uses out of date variables. I’m working on it now.

This is what I get for having six or seven variables associated

@poison_mara
Thank you for the kind words. I’m working on women’s clothing now. I’m adding separate wardrobes for men and women. Eventually I want to add the functionality for cross dressing and disguises.

3 Likes

Okay, I am not nb, so you should ask them if they prefer have a list will all choices than have it separate from gender. Just to being inclusive . But better you should ask about it to the lgbt community.

Edit The clothing by default i think should be more neutral. Like tshirt and jeans because as it is I thought that i was gender block male based only in the clothing in stats

1 Like

I am separating out the clothing into three menus. Male, Female and Other. If your gender is male you default to the men’s clothing menu but you have the choice to jump to women’s clothing (and vice versa).

@poison_mara

I updated the wardrobe menus and it’s passing randomtest. I separated out men and women’s clothing. I had a quick Google Search for Hong Kong’s women’s fashion and put some outfits from there in but I haven’t incorporated your suggestions yet. I need a lot more women’s clothing choices in.

4 Likes

You don’t need to add millions of choices Just a few like 3 or 4 this is not a fashion parade lol. First plot then small minor stuff

2 Likes

The main plot is pretty much all done. Most of the ending is written and partially coded, the game just crashes before you get to it.

Mostly what I’m doing now is filling in lots of subplots, romances and polish to the first two acts. Fixing the wardrobe was procrastination :wink: from that.

4 Likes

That’s brilliant mate that would make for a fascinating game and give it an almost godfather 2 like flashback aspect while providing us with a separate location for your world building skills to shine

1 Like

Better to finish Blood Opera first and then make the British one. You could always go back after that and make a director’s cut (DLC) for Blood Opera that connects them. Otherwise you risk getting even more overwhelmed.

Yay! Can’t wait to see the new male one. Hopefully some of mr. Lau’s “Fulltime Killer” outfits made it in there.

Hmmmm in Freak Amidst the Neon lights non-binary would simply choose if they gravitated more towards male or female clothing options, I would follow that style. Particularly since from what I read here the author is going to allow the mc to change their clothes at more than one point in the game, so if a non-binary mc wants to switch wardrobe styles they can do so then. Same as any other player-character, except for them it wouldn’t exactly be cross-dressing. No need to make the code needlessly complicated I say.

As a cautionary tale @Moreau basically tried to tackle three games in one with the Myrmidon and I think that really wore him down and I don’t want to see this project get so overwhelming for you that it all comes crashing down too. Like I said you can always come back with a “director’s cut” DLC for this one after you finish the British one that expands this one with some cameos and new missions and connects the two.
I mean the Waywalkers Series did some expanded content DLC years after the initial release and @JimD is basically making a Zombie Exodus 2.5 DLC after initial release too.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think is good idea.

I’m not doing any writing or coding for the next project until this project has been in Closed Beta for a while. You’re right to bring that up though. Sometimes I procrastinate by Writing Something Else.

So my focus is entirely on my current project. But I find it useful to think about how my state tracking variables are going to “cross over” into the next project. I also want to add some foreshadowing/setting up of the next project in the, nothing major just a few light touches here and there. Nothing that will box me in but I don’t want the transition to the sequel to feel jarring, random or shoe horned.

I am leaning towards two MCs for the sequel. Your MC from Hong Kong Blood Opera won’t have much of a main plot but instead navigates a web of subplots based on how you finished the first game. So no main plot, extreme branchiness. Simple to code but it’s going to require lots of Different version writing. But hopefully a very unique to your playthrough of the first game experience.

The second POVs is a gender locked woman, living in London in the early 1990s. This POV is narrated in the third person (she’s a “she” not a “you”). The “She” POV has a main plotline that isn’t very branchy but the choices She makes effect the “You” POV.

I may get a collaborator to write the gender locked female POV. I’m going to talk to someone tonight about it. If they’re keen maybe they can start working/researching/outlining while I finish up HKBO.

But other than writing this post (which is a way for me to think aloud) and talking to a collaborator I’m not going to think about the next project too much or do any writing for it. I might watch a few British gangster flicks as research though.

6 Likes