Hong Kong Blood Opera Updated 16th January

“She betrayed and murdered… I failed her. I’m so sorry daughter. I’m so sorry.”

I was playing as a Male, so little typo there! Pretty sure it was around the funeral scene when I thought about mother because I wanted to learn more about her…

“Take them out with Kung Fu.”

It said Error when i chose that option. had to restart from beginning of book.

Other than those two things… pretty good!! Kinda reminded me of this 1 Manga I read once… but I liked it so far!!

Is Donnie an RO? xD

I have to confess I don’t understand what RO stands for. There is a romance and or buddy cop option with Donnie if that’s what it means.

RO stands for romance option, could be use alongside LI (Love interest). =)

1 Like

I loved the different romantic, comedic, and action aspects you included. I really look forward to more updates- keep up the good work!

Quick question: Is there going to be any more ROs besides Baiyu and Seiko?

Yes, there’s 4 more ROs.

Thanks. I was half guessing that it meant “Romantic Other”

2 Likes

Hey @Jose_Garcia I was wondering for the ghost/demon story line if you have any plans for the MC to learn magic. I am unfamiliar with Chinese based magic and am unsure what it would entail but I was simply curious. I was also wondering if we would be able to join any of the various factions around Hong Kong or maybe create our own

It’s very different from western magic. And most of the western fantasy tropes about magic don’t really apply. There is Chinese Black Magic, Chi and Daitan in the game but you don’t learn spells.

Chinese magic is way too complex to be properly addressed in the game but there is some.

Yes there are factions but they are in the background, the NPCs represent factions and your relationship with them is more important. There are faction relation stats in the game which become very important during the ending.

I’ve cracked the ending which is to say I finally figured out how to code it. I still have about 15,000 words to go before I’m done so the I’m 90% of the way to a beta.

3 Likes

Hey @Jose_Garcia I was just replaying the demo again and was wondering if besides Donnie (AKA Don Johnson) and Tequila were there any inspirations to your characters in the game. I believe I see a few but remain unsure.

Donnie is inspired by the female cop in a contemporary Hong Kong Action movie Operation Mekong (2016). Baiyu (The Vengeful Bride) is archetypal and inspired by several characters. Little Rat, Punky and Tommy are inspired by Rage of the Phoenix (a Thai martial arts movie). Fong is inspired by the Uncle from The Killer and Simon Yam’s character from Election. The Toad aka Big D is also a character from Election (the one with the massive double chin).

1 Like

Hey thanks for responding @Jose_Garcia and for renewing my love of eastern cinema. I haven’t seen Operation Mekong but I will definitely be re watching Rage of the Phoenix and The Killer this weekend now and I’m gonna track down The Vengeful Bride. It’s always nice to find something new so thanks :slight_smile:

If you like the Killer check out Hardboiled also by John Woo and meet the original two-legged Tequila.

The Vengeful Bride isn’t the name of a movie but just a general archetype (Kill Bill being an example of the archetype). But there was also a vengeful bride in a Hong Kong action movie card game I published back in the 90s. The logo character was a vengeful bride. I think of Baiyu as her but about 15 years older. I also think what an action heroine is or can be has evolved and grown over the past 15 years so I wanted Baiyu to reflect that instead of being stuck in the past.

Also check out Saviour of the Soul if you can find it.

2 Likes

Oh I totally misread the previous post shame because The Vengeful Bride sounds like an awesome movie title and that makes sense for Baiyu to be an modern incarnation of older female action heroine as opposed to a character that remains stuck in an out of date mindset. This makes me wonder would she be more like the bride in terms of favoring melee weapons or more like the MC’s father with a mix of firearms and hand to hand based on their working relationship?

Also thanks for the suggestion on Savior Of The Soul I’ll try to track down a copy somewhere

Baiyu is a Kung Fu master and prefers melee weapons. If she wields a weapon it’s going to be a sword or a spear.

1 Like

Hey @Jose_Garcia I was wondering if you have any plans to allow Spin and Donnie to repair their friendship at all or if there will be a choice between one friend or another

That’s an excellent question. I haven’t written a reconciliation scene between the two. If it’s becomes possible it won’t be easy.

2 Likes

Error?

Thanks for that. I’m currently debugging so this comes in handy.

3 Likes

Hong Kong blood opera was great read love how this story play out from past to now

1 Like

Thank you. The game is pretty much done except for a lot of debugging. Check back in a few weeks and you will be able to play much deeper into it.

6 Likes