Hong Kong Blood Opera Updated 16th January

Great! Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Hey Jose was just replaying the update after watching some old school Hong Kong horror martial arts films and I’ve got to ask any plans for adding the Jiangshi to this game?

No but there will be lots of other supernatural stuff. Chinese ghosts and demons but alas no plans for the hopping vampires.

1 Like

Ah well I already have some knowledge on the Jiangshi (great to know that there’s someone else out there that knows what they are) so it would be awesome to learn more about the Chinese occult lore and myths as that is an area that I have very little knowledge in. Add this to an already great Action-Gangster game and I can safety say that you have created an amazing tribute to some great pieces of cinema my friend and have a guaranteed reader on this project and any other you decide upon in yours truly

Thank you so much for the kind words. I did a lot of work on the supernatural arc today. Hoping to have it live soon.

3 Likes

Sorry for the lack of updates people. I have done a lot of work. I’m just coding the end now. And the project currently stands at 135,000 words sans code.

I don’t understand the word counts. I have 900,000 characters worth of narrative which comes out to 135,000 words according to C Side which doesn’t seem right to me.

My focus has been on getting a working beta version in roughly complete form ASAP. I’m hoping to have that in about three weeks.

I want to thank everyone who has commented so far. Even if it doesn’t seem like it I’ve taken all feedback into consideration and made rafts of changes based on the feedback I’ve been given so far. Thanks again for all your encouragement and support.

14 Likes

When I tried to open the demo, this happened:

1 Like

Oops. Thanks for pointing that out. I’ve fixed that.

Not the only time I encountered it. Also when trying to introduce yourself to the person in the hospital you don’t have a name yet and it shows as {name}.

Thank you very much for pointing these out. I fixed the time bug. I still have a lot of debugging to do.

Saw this on a play through.

This happened as well.

Despite the current small amount of bugs, your WIP is pretty cool.

Thank you kindly for spotting those. I’ve fallen behind on debugging as I’ve been focused on getting a full beta completed. I’m almost done to, just coding the ending now. I am hoping to be done in two weeks. Then two months of revision and debugging.

And thanks for spotting that. The choice you selected goes to a scene which I had forgotten to write.

3 Likes

Thanks for spotting that. I’ll get that fixed.

1 Like

“We’re leaving.” She says.
*if baiyuop = fale

Should be false. I believe it was in scene 06.

1 Like

Surprised the quicktest didn’t pick that up. Thanks for spotting that.

1 Like

Ok I’ve fixed that particular bug. So I take it you got captured in the nightclub, and at that point in the story you hadn’t paid for Baiyu’s operation?

I’m currently coding chapter 13 so there’s a lot more story to come. Unfortunately most playthroughs are hitting game ending bugs long before then.

Just did a fresh upload. It’s only 151,000 words but contains a lot of bug fixes. I’m currently writing and coding lots of closing act vignettes. I’ve divided the ending into five parts :scene/major vignette/scene/ major vignette/final scene. There’s multiple branches at each stage and most scenes are very multi valent so there’s a lot of paths through the ending.

This is the most challenging part of the project for me. But it’s also the most exciting. I’m also writing lots of death and betrayal scenes which are a lot of fun.

Oh the melodrama!

Currently working to get this to to just over 160-170,000 largely bug free words soon. That will be my working beta. I’ll probably spend two months smoothing out the kinks, rewriting and debugging after that.

3 Likes

Hey @Jose_Garcia great news on the update and I want to say that I’d be more than happy to beta test this game once it’s ready. O also wanted to ask if you have any plans for the various quest lines and the characters within to intersect at any point. I was just replaying the demo again and I was mentally playing with the idea of the Trio and I having a showdown against the ghosts in The Blanch Room with Bardo blasting away with a shotgun. While I am more than aware that this will likely not happen I was wondering if we could have any back up that we gained from other quest lines join us for extra story events or to make the quest easier.

Yes, I am working on that for the ending. Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like