Holy Ordos WIP [a Warhammer 40k inspired game] [updated v0.4.1, 2020/08/05]

I’ve played pen and paper Dark Heresy once and some memes about the God-Emperor were basically all that I knew about both.

Edit: I’ve spotted another bug, the game now moves from Interlude 1 to the aftermath of the Ball + Alabaster Court visit in the next chapter.

2 Likes

I did a quick hotfix last night, annoyed I let this through, sorry all. - heres the long and boring explanation: what happens is that I have a debug mode which allows me to skip to certain chapters but because of the *temp variables for each chapter I put a *goto to skip to the bit of the chapter i’m testing, when I was testing for v 0.3.3 it seems I left that *goto in. Really what I need is a debug menu at the beginning of each chapter to skip to certain scenes.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone who voted in the poll you can see the results now above. I will be working to put more personality type choices in as that seems to be the number one thing that is missing from the game. I was aware of this, kind of.

As far as what stat is being tested I will have a think - this might require an optional, additional mode which tells you what will be tested for each choice. I might be able to do this with multireplace like this:

#@{(stat_view = 1) Dive out of the way [dodge]|Dive out of the way}
3 Likes

Just find a bug. At the end of the first interlude i don’t go to the begining of the second chapter but directly to this part:

"You all head back to the Strophes manse - on the return Drusilla outlines the plan: passage to Ambulon, the city that walks, tomorrow. Find the Farkosia manurfactory and hopefully evidence of the operators of this little conspiracy. Meanwhile the Joyous Choir will be raided and dismantled - Shoal and the augmented man with the metal legs, Theodosia, will be taken for interrogation. You have enough information to have the whole thing shut down for heretical activities. She congratulates you all on a job almost complete.

You head to bed, its been a long day."

2 Likes

Have you had the game open for a while or have you started a new one recently - I ask because I thought I had fixed that bug.

edit: i just ran through quickly and this bug is still there. put up a temp fix but it will have to wait for morning for me to be sue its gone. sorry!

Don’t worry I can wait until the morning to purge the galaxy!

2 Likes

New update pushed

V 0.3.4
Bugfixes:
—Minor corrections to chapter 2 text
—Minor corrections to Interlude 1 text
—Minor changes to “books”
—Minor changes to armor and weapons naming.
—Fixed a skip forward bug in chapter 2

4 Likes

Work very well thanks!

1 Like

I was thinking about the poll and that people wanted more choices which defined personality.

2 things:-

1. as the game goes on you will have more important choices, where you are in charge so I think these will address this in part.
    But, I had another idea:
  2. i don’t really like "what are you feeling"choices because I feel they are often not integrated into the story properly. They’re the writer asking the player a question. So my idea was: what about a diary - You write a diary entry after each mission - this would cunningly disguise the “what are you feeling” choices as diary entries. These would then be accessible from the stats menu. It is quite modular so I could start out small and it could be expanded. any thoughts?
3 Likes

Major credit for the “New Hive-based cult promising truth and happiness while draped in Ecclesiarchy iconography” not being genestealers . And even with it only a being a few chapters the breadth of skills and backgrounds makes me want to just keep replaying it.

I think a diary system would work, the MC does feel a little like they lack personality but they’re also a traumatized witch with the threat of immediate execution hanging over them at all times so id be pretty buttoned up too.

2 Likes

Thanks. I am aiming for faithfulness, believably combustibility and depth with the game - like: if your character starts with the paranoia talent then you you have special paranoia interactions and paranoid thoughts, if your insanity grows you have strange dreams, if you have the light sleeper talent you sleep uneasy. it might not seem like it when you play but there are well over 500 hours of work that have gone into this as it stands, its become a bit of an obsession

edit: that should say customisability not combustibility!

5 Likes

Really like the idea of a diary and see what a full corrupted and insaned MC will write in it! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Im on the home stretch for the next release, which is currently the first half (parts 1 and 2) of chapter 4. It comes in at 64,000 words so far with another thousand or so which I will probable add in testing.

There are also a few additional things through the earlier part of the game - I have written in game diary interactions for the interludes, but the do not fill out a player written diary in the stats page. The reason for this, and I am still working on how best to approach this, is that I have 100% avoided putting words in the players voice all the way through the game, everything you say is referred to passively. I deliberately did this because I think it is more immersive and more game like, I am still thinking how best to integrate more player choice about attitudes and feelings

I am quite keen to push this update and hope to do so within a week, but I have reached a length where testing as quite a laborious process and a stage in the chapter when I am very fed up of reading my own prose.

4 Likes

Hey, I took another look at the wip and am continuing to really enjoy it. I did hit one weird game-breaking bug though. In the manse during the interlude after Chapter 2, I put my copy of the “Primer of the Imperium of Man” on my bookshelf, then tried to read it, and I got locked into infinite loading.

2 Likes

I’m having trouble recreating this bug. Could you tell a little bit more about about it please.

There’s not really much else to say. I put it on the shelf, clicked on the option to read it, and I got the “loading” symbol but it didn’t advance for like ten minutes, so I just closed the window. It may be some kind of issue with Dashingdon rather than the game, since it didn’t give me an error message. Maybe just ask your other players to keep an eye open to see if it happens to them.

EDIT: It had let me read other books on the bookshelf before that, so if it is an issue in the code I think it only affects that book.

2 Likes

Thanks, I checked the code and ran through that section and it appears to run, so it might be some dashingdon loading quirk - the book is called from a separate scene file so it might just have struggled to load that idk - if anyone else has encountered this or does encounter this please let me know

Edit: I think I know what it is - it might have been an issue with loading the images in that scene. I will look into it and hopefully push a fix.

1 Like

It’s amazing what a short break can do for your perception of your own work - i was feeling a bit despondent about the game but I took a break and now I am feeling really enthusiastic about it. Part of me regrets gender-locking the game now, due to the growth the game has seen and the positive responses I have received from everyone in the community I feel that the game would be much more popular if there was gender choice so I would like to pose a question to the community.

Would you like me to make a male path available, at the expense of the time I would otherwise be spending on advancing the plot? There is a caveat here - that players of the game will realize - holy ordos is very much written from a female perspective, so in order to provide a male route would be a big undertaking, involving doubling and re-writing some significant chunks of the game, but it is something I think I could do with enough time. I am not saying I will do this depending on the outcome of the poll, I would just like to gauge the community opinion.

With that in mind here is the poll, with the negatives of both laid out.

• Produce a fully fledged male path to run alongside the female one (even though it will take time out of progressing the story)
  • Carry on the story (even though it will remain female-locked)

0 voters

5 Likes

Honestly I wouldn’t mind either, but I’d suggest maybe fully finishing a rough version of the female path before moving on to the male path. It would probably be easier to focus on one that way instead of switching between the two.

3 Likes

I honestly think that if a story is a good, the gender of the MC does not really matter and female-locked MC has worked very well so far. I’d personally like to see the story as it is carry on.

4 Likes