Holy Ordos WIP [a Warhammer 40k inspired game] [updated v0.4.1, 2020/08/05]

Ah, true enough. To be perfectly honest, I think I misunderstood your message originally. In that case… HERESY! BLAM

I think I remember the girl was possessed. I’m not totally sure but with her power it’s probably it.

Human can be as deadly as the eldar with psyker power… But yes, they are also more instable.

You might be thinking of “the burning princess” in the Disciples of the Dark Gods sourcebook, alpha-plus rogue psyker?

1 Like

I think she is the one yes.
I didn’t read my Dark heresy Books for a while and left them in my appartement.
And since I’m stuck in my parents house with the rules about the covid19, I can’t verify it myself.

I’m not comolaining thought. A house vs a one Riom appartement… And good is better.
But I don’t have my rpg Books or my PS4 (but I’ve tôt my vita, yeah)…

1 Like

I wrote 12,000 words but the game has got big enough that i seem to spend a lot of time just playing through it and making little tweaks; write the game you want to play :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I’m not quite sure if this was addressed in game and I just didn’t pick up on it, but why are we not supposed to use our powers? I understand the part of it where it’s dangerous and leaves you open to possession, so is it just that or is there some other reason that I missed?
Also, if anyone could recommend some 40k books/lore/just where to start with 40k in general that’d be much appreciated.

hmmm, if its not well explained in game i will go back over and re-look.

Basically lore wise the conflict comes from the disconnect between the frailty of the human psyker and the immense power of what they are accessing - untrained there is a high risk of yoru head exploding or something horrible taking you over.

• this leads to suspicion about you - there is a great deal of dislike, fear and even hatred of “witches”. No one likes psykers but simultaneously the Imperium cannot function without them and makes extensive use of them for communications, combat and lots of other things

Game mechanics wise - well, you can go ahead and use your powers as much as you would like - they tend to make things easier and sometimes cooler. There are a few instances where they have unintended consequences but as it stands there is no chance you will just die from using cool stuff, that seems unfair. I am always adding new things so I will see how it goes.

As far as books go, Dan Abnett’s Sabbat Worlds books and the Eisenhorn books are the best of a… variable playing field.

If you are totally new to the universe you could give a try to the Horus Heresy saga, I warn you though there are a lot of books; but if you don’t want to read books just want pure lore better to browse the wikia, that’s where I’ve gotten most of my knowledge for example

If you have a evil gamemaster, you could say that psyker toy with power and créature in the warp who look like démons or Elder One (like the good cthulhu)…

strong anti-horus heresy books sentiment from me, as my unpopular opinion

There’s only one set of 40k books worth reading: the adventures of Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!

… of course, since a good deal of the appeal is to contrast the usual 40k grittiness, maybe it’s not the best place to start with.

2 Likes

There’s also a YouTube series which I think should give you a decent idea of the 40k universe. The following is part 1:

I have noticed quite a few bugs in Chapter 2 - i knew they were there but I am starting to get round to addressing them. Also there is some text which is not written for some choices. Most of the problems are to do with the final encounter.

At some point I am hoping to push a patched Chapter 2 and interlude 2, but I have taken a break from writing these to mess around writing “Damned Cities” which I am enjoying a lot since it is investigation focused.

1 Like

Ok at this point i am just boasting but coronavirus quarantine meant I have written 25,000 words in just 8 days.

Here’s what I have been working on mostly:

1. managed to iron out some bugs in Chapter 2.
  2. Interactions in interlude 2 are coming along nicely - get to know your associates better, meet up with people from previous chapters, callbacks to previous actions and all.
  3. Chapter 4 (which I am working on) is cool, i love it ^ _ ^

Here’s my current progress update:

Character creation is done
Introduction is done
Chapter 1 is done
Interlude 1 is done
Chapter 2 is done in rough form (currently ironing out bugs)
Interlude 2 is 90% done (45,000 words)
Chapter 3 is 60% done (62,000 words)
Chapter 4 is 20% done (14,000 Words

Some people have been really helpful in pointing out things that didn’t work but if you play the demo above and spot something wrong please please please tell me, its so helpful.

5 Likes

That is some serious amount of writing. Please don’t burn yourself out! :neutral_face:

1 Like

Have to say… this WIP has the most “game” of all of the COGs I’ve seen so far. And I love it! I love games that make you think about stats and this hits all of those buttons in the best way so far. I have no idea what Warhammer is but I was able to jump into this and enjoy this despite that, and even successfully live through the entire story. There’s some lore that went over my head, but I understood more than enough to get what is going on. Can’t wait to read more!

1 Like

I was curious if there’s anyway to defuse either of the bombs in the second chapter using a tech skill. I went through the second chapter with both the forge world and hive world background, which seemed to have tech-based skills, but I didn’t have any luck. Is your character just not ever supposed to be able to do that, or is that going to be a feature in the future?

Also, I haven’t posted in here before and wanna say your WIP rocks. I’ve been a huge fan of 40k and choiceof games for a long time, and I think you’ve shown the best of both.

1 Like

Hi CorporalHam, thanks for the nice words, really helps me know i’m on the right track :slight_smile:

In the game books, “demolitions” is a separate skill to “tech-use”, and, according to the rules, psykers can’t learn learn demolitions (unless they take a certain pathway and even then only at level 5). Tech use is can you use a computer, can you start up an engine, can you operate complex machinery. Demolitions is bomb making, setting and diffusal.

• You have highlighted a problem with the game however and one I have agonized about quite a bit - how much of the mechanics to reveal in game - i umed and ahh’d about labeling choices with the skills they used and showing dice rolls. Going to leave it as it is for now but might be something to add in as an option (like in lucid’s games).

The Bombs:

Both bombs can be dealt with - the methods are provisional as things stand and I think the second one is buggy.

First bomb

1. You can just be very very lucky and do enough damage to cause T to drop it before he arms it
  2. If you are willing to burn fate you can just start pulling out wires

Second Bomb

1. You can just pull wires (1 in 4 chance, the wire is randomised) failure will burn fate (or kill you if you’ve got none left)
  2. The luck power gives you a 50-50 chance of “pulling the right wire” instead of 25-75, but you’ve still got to take a random chance, failure will burn fate (or kill you if none left)
  3. There are some hidden Intelligence tests to realize you can just cut the whole thing off the beam and shove it in a side room before it explodes - it still detonates but doesn’t destroy the lab. - this is set to be easier if the whole squad is looking at the bomb rather than just you
1 Like

Here is my current update: 300,000 words! Wow. Pushing ever onward.

I am now working towards a pushable v.0.3 which would include at least Interlude 2 and the first half of chapter 3. Exciting.

9 Likes

Okey first I am french so sorry for my english.

Just want to say that I really enjoy the game! I really like warhammer and particulary the inquisition (read the Eiserhorn trilogy) so it’s a pleasure to play a part of the inquisition!
Wait to see more!

Just one thing about the game. I feel like some power are useless compare to other. (Or maybe it’s just me who use them wrong)

3 Likes