Holy Ordos WIP [a Warhammer 40k inspired game] [updated v0.4.1, 2020/08/05]

I was playing the game once more because why not and realized something about the Blighted Schola, if it exists and therefore we are in the Calixys sector, are we there before or after the Inquisition decided to purge it?
Because I don’t remember any date of when all this happens besides the 41 millennium and knowing if it was before or after would narrow the date, because it’s not the same to be at the moment of the fall of Cadia (exactly the last year of the 41m, but still the same millennium) than to be in a less “end of the galaxy time”

CulexusAssassin Cullexus_Temple_Icon
Hoping for an appearance

1 Like

The black and white makes me think of Malal/Malice.

1 Like

Culexus Assassin of the Officio Assassinorum, the anti pysker

1 Like

Oh, I know that. I just said it reminded me of him. Malal/Malice’s symbol looks way different. The only real similarity is the color scheme.

2 Likes

hi,

Adding the ‘home-world’ options were basically the first thing I did. I didn’t really think through the mechanics of: calixis blighted schola -> terra -> calixis sector, or about how it would really fit into the timeframe because I just wanted to give people the background packages from the radical’s handbook 'cos I think they’re cool. I’m basically leaving it up to the PC to square everything prior to leaving Terra for the Calixis Sector for now. In the future…maybe somethign else.

My current working thing is blighted schola -> discovered to be psyker while quite young -> sent to terra for years, during which schola are discovered and destroyed -> recruited by current inquisitor -> return to calixis. Currently there is nothing specific to the blighted schola in game beyond the homeworld choice I just havent got round to it yet.

I have however added quite a bit of background specific things for Malfian origin related to returning to the Calixis sector, because I thought that would be v. strange otherwise, and it’s the one I like most for now. I’ll see what I can do for the other backgrounds, but work increeses exponentially lol

2 Likes

That’s what happens when you do something with wh, even that rock you might think that doesn’t have a background could just be a necron waiting to be awoken

1 Like

kicks rock accidentally wakens Nercron tomb world

2 Likes

Chapter Master flashbacks intensify
Let’s pray we don’t have to deal with them here…

3 Likes

But look at the bright side, if we would have to deal with a Tomb World we would probably have to use a precious exterminatus on them, there’s nothing like that level of fireworks

3 Likes

HI all.

Work has restarted for me so I have less time to work on this than I would like - and that will be the case til Easter, I’ll still mess around with this but there’s not going to be any 50,000 words per month stuff.

The current game is 211,000 Words. There is some duplication, but I have tried as hard as possible to keep it to a minimum except where its just too difficult not to have multiple copies of a paragraph with little stylistic changes. All this means I I am pretty confident with the “level of content” that 211,000 includes.

The current average play-through of the actual playable content (around 150,000 words) is about 34,000 words, so you see about 22% of the content per play-through. That feels about right to me.

The main barriers to me pushing something out are:

1. the finale of chapter 2, Im bored of writing this part so keep putting it off. (C2 is 62,000 words currently, possibly as high as 85,000 words to fin; i think somewhere I said it would be done at 40,000 words lol)

2. The second interlude. The first one I wrote was pretty small (2500 words), the second one is 27,000 Words of chilling out and smoking obscura hanging out with your pals in the inquisition, and I still have a bunch to write (conservative estimate is 50,000 total.)

The good news is I now have all my own background-plot which I am slotting into the pre-made adventures I am cribbing so heavily from - feels good.

I’m going to play through the demo I uploaded so I can see how much its changed in a few months lol, ive made lots and lots of small edits to C1 and squashed so many bugs.

Instead of working I made a pintrest moodboard of all my favorite Warhammer 40,000 Pictures (almost entirely space marine free) as inspiration/procrastination

its here: https://pin.it/kjweb5atpxp2kk

maybe one day I will commission my own character art, at the current rate that will be around M41 (warhammer joke)

4 Likes

Still alive update. Still working, but slowly: 233,500 words. been cracking the back of the Chapter 2 fight scene… its 2250 line of brain breaking branching code…

7 Likes

FOR THE EMPRAH!

I hope He somehow stumbles into a device that enables Him to do some sort of… text-to-speech so we may hear from His magnificence once more!

On a different note, I am now even more excited about this WIP since I’ve recently acquired an even bigger interest in the world and lore of Warhammer 40K. What’s on display is already awesome, keep it up. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

UPDATE v0.2 PUSHED

You can now play the updated version of this game. Of my 238 426 written words, 115 148 can now be played, doubling the playable game.

There are so many changed as I have not kept track of them. - basically chapter 2 is done in rough form from start to finish. hooray.

Looking for any and all bug reports and flow issues, this thing is so complex I struggle to keep track of what is going on.

8 Likes

This day shall be a glorious one for the Imperium.

1 Like

I have no idea why I tried this, since I know basically nothing about 40k, so I wasn’t sure what I was expecting … but I frickin’ loved it! The codex was helpful for lore-newbies like me, and the main storyline was always very clear. I love the RPG elements, they’re really well-integrated (they must be a nightmare to code), and there’s some really nice writing in there too.

I couldn’t finish it, because I got an “invalid indent” error. I’m really sorry, I closed the window before I remembered to get a screenshot, but if it’s any help it came in Chapter 2, just after the meeting with the bounty-hunter finished.

Will prob play again. Also makes me want to learn more about the 40k universe. Great stuff!

2 Likes

thank you for your kind words. I am trying to find that bug but I cannot at the moment.

The final fight is buggy as hell too at the moment - wow, i will try and fix some things

1 Like

Ok, I have fixed that bug - turns out I made some changes after doing all my randomtest checking, whoops.

2 Likes

Great! I’ll play with a different build over the next couple of days: looking forward to seeing what happens next!

1 Like

I reworked the OP since I thought it was bad and I would like more people to try my game.

I am aware that the plot of Chapter 2 doesn’t quite feel right (in my opinion) There’s some sparsity - I’m trying to set up lots of things. I would really appreciate any feedback on a) what doesn’t feel right and b) inability to do things you would have thought you should have been able to do.

Anyways, I am working hard on the next part - I feel like this is where it all starts coming together (she says, ironically)

1 Like