HMS Foraker (WIP)

How many endings are there and what factors will determine them?

First choice into chap 2

line 34: Can’t fairAdd to non-percentile value: -15

1 Like

Fantastic work as always, @Cataphrak! I thoroughly enjoyed Choice of Broadsides, but this beats it hands down.

A couple of spots:

1 Like

I think the second one is just period-appropriate spelling

I don’t think this was already mentioned:

"Yet the cold hard facts are simple enough: Albion is at war with Columbia, and to deprive Columbia of one of him heaviest warships would be a palpable blow to the United Republics’ ability to make war, not to mention a substantial boon for Albion. "

If one chooses (as a female) “The honour of the service would demand I give battle with utmost aggression.”

Should this be his heaviest?

1 Like

Morale recovers a little once all is explained, but the $[gender} spend a lot of extra time sniffing at their biscuit at each meal.

Stats are definitely not increasing as you travel in chapter one. At least not for me.

Edit: seems like it doesn’t increase the crew skills if you decide to switch the focus before the next movement. This also seems to affect the random event roll.

1 Like

The main question that still really confuses me is that why Good old girl Ironside of the yankees, suppose to by fitted with 44 guns was given an extra 8 guns…

@Cataphrak, if I might ask, I know taking enemy ships as prizes are par for fhe course, but I do not suppose we can get an opportunity to sink an enemy ship, as opposed to capturing it?

The plan is a Fallout-style mix-and-match ending, determined by your patronage, your final prize money, and how your final showdown actually turns out.

There should be about 60 or so combinations all told.

I just did a playtest, it should be working.

Sinking a wooden warship with solid shot is really, really hard. You’re effectively punching small holes into a hull which is already made of naturally buoyant material. In truth, most ships “lost” in battle at the time were either wrecked, destroyed by a catastrophic explosion (like L’Orient at the Battle of the Nile), or were captured, and then determined too unseaworthy to be repaired and burned. It should be noted that out of all the ships at Trafalgar, none were actually sunk by enemy fire (though one French 74 exploded from a magazine fire).

11 Likes

60 combo hot damn and only four chapters?

Can we try using chain shot against their masts? With the nigh invincible frigate this may be one of our few options to disable them, if our normal shots have trouble even puncturing their hull.
Or conversely grapeshot to try and clear the enemy deck?

6 Likes

Those will be options, yes.

6 Likes

On the other hand, your crew are very pleased by the sight of fresh fruit piled up on the deck, especially once they learn that its acquisition was by their captain’s largesse. Though you doubt such $[gender} would have been willing to spend their pay on such luxuries, the fact that you have paid on their behalf makes them more than happy to indulge in the mounds of juicy apples and pears now spread out before them.

4 Likes

“If we mean to drag the enemy out, we ought to make it intolerable for $[pronoun_3} to remain in port,” Fisher suggests. “We could fire off a few broadsides at the city at extreme range. We wouldn’t be able to hit anything, but it would certainly fright the townsfolk. I would wager that the good citizens of Trimountaine would all but demand the captain of the Delmarva set to see to put a stop to it.”

2 Likes

Bugs are fixed.
Starting on Chapter 3.

Get Hype.
chap_3

21 Likes

Paul when you write aggressively fast brother you write aggressively fast. Or this is just quicker to write because it’s testing system?

To be honest? It’s because what I’m writing for Burden of Command right now is oppressively depressing, and I need to space myself out with something else.

7 Likes

So you when you’re writing for burden of command and it putting you in a dark place so you need to write something a little more uplifting?

@Cataphrak i hope you dont mind if i voice my concern about this :thinking: —>

im a bit “old minded” when it comes to reading and playing cyoas… and as one i have never liked games where the success of win or lose was in the hands of “fate” & “luck” rather than in the skills or choices that the mc we are playing have or do. I dont know if you will make this a optional feature (i hope if that is possible and is not too much work for you, you make it optional , i love the way sabres and guns have been done and id hate to have less fun because of that new feature…)

4 Likes

The random element of Luck makes it more realistic my opinion. And nothing in life is preordained so it adds put of proper reality and depending on your skills is how you handle the situation not Everything is in your favor. I personally hope he keeps it. And I understand why you want to put it in Lords specially when her mention the estate. I personally want the element of Randomness there makes feel so less gamey. Especially considering how the vocal minority ever Community which is us are such mid max it silly. So I feel this is quite appropriate.