Hinterland [WIP] (Updated 11/8)

I feel that military in a survival setting is too OP. They get trained in the precise scenarios of being stuck in the wilderness alone and in with a buddy. But I do have a plan for you to add in a custom profession that alters your stats depending on which stats you want changed that correspond to the custom profession you selected. After that, I don’t have anything to add for that particular choice. Problem is, disable_reuse is always a pain for me and I can’t use it.

I like your action ideas. Honestly, the way I write the story is that I have a general half-idea of how I want the story to go and then make everything up as I go along and alter when needed. I can definitely input some action stuff since the plot at the moment is more like anything goes
Edit: I actually do have a mental wishlist for the story (for example, random events) but it’s short.

3 Likes

I just uploaded a new version of Wilderness Survival. Has a lot of new stuff.

3 Likes

Love it!!!

1 Like

Like the update will there be more survivors cause that would be cool and end up in a relationship

1 Like

Adding in other parties makes coding more complicated. Since you have to code if someone has two other people or just one other person or they’re alone etc etc. I was thinking of doing it with the two NPC’s you meet but I scrapped the idea.

As for meeting other survivors… Probably not. And relationships isn’t really important to the story. The only relationship option you’ll have is with your best friend, probably.

Loving the new updates btw. I’m just letting you know about a typo. I chose my best friend to be a girl but I’ve found an inconsistency with the pronouns used.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out those errors!

Keep up the good work! I’m really excited to see how it progresses!

1 Like

Was the best friend originally named Jay? It seems like the game assumes they’re male and named Jay right before you actually choose those options.

1 Like

Yes. I will correct those. Thanks for pointing them out!

If military background wouldn’t fit the setting, then perhaps S.W.A.T. or FBI HRT or something like that would be more plausible? Not that far from the military but without all that survival experiance which would alter player’s capabilities in the game.

Not a bad idea. What stats would that job alter?

Not sure how many stats the job alters now, but if I were to list the ones S.W.A.T. or similar would provide by singificance order (descending), it would be imo:

1. Alertness
  2. Perception
  3. Adaptability
  4. Athletism
1 Like

I agree. I did add an option to create your own profession where you’re working under the company MindGeek, and you can choose what two stats are priority for that job, which is how many I alter for other jobs. However, if it’s a really popular one I’ll add it to the list of set professions who work for mashed up Twenty one Pilots songs…

Your average everyday infantryman doesn’t know much about wilderness survival to be honest. They can survive, if they can remember enough of their training. A special forces soldier or someone like that though? No problem. You could solve the perceived OP problem by making them a sailor or airman, which would keep them fit, and give them some technical experience, if people really wanted a military option. Even just some infantry/marine enlisted man would only have enough skill to not die immediately, with a small amount of first aid and technical training, though nowhere near a doctor or engineer.

I was thinking more like officer training rather than not enlisted soldiers. My sister, who’s training to become an officer, told me that she learned how to make a flotation device out of her uniform.

I guess what I’ll do is make an infantry soldier and give them some good athletics and perception stats, but at the cost of more stress. That’s a nice way to meet in the middle.

1 Like

Your average grunt isn’t expected to me anywhere forward of friendly lines honestly, non-coms are trained a little better in case that does happen, but the only people that get true survival training are mostly aircrews and special forces. Pretty much anyone regularly expected to be operating forward of friendly lines, behind enemy lines, or anyone with a high risk of capture. Regular forces are trained with the expectation of having attached support groups and supply lines. You could always make spec ops the easy mode though haha.

I’ll consider that. So far what I’ve done is made an Infantryman of the military who’s fit and alert but also has a lot on their shoulders.

Sorry to say I haven’t been working on the game as much as I should, but I haven’t had much time and I’m not in the mood. Expect an update in the fall.

It’s quite an interesting idea; it’s rather simplistic but has a lot of potential at the same time. It’s a nice mix.

Some of the paths are a bit lacking compared to the others, but I’m sure that’s only for now; still in the early stages. It certainly seems someone is a fan of OITNB.

Either way, fun as a WIP can be at this length. Kudos.

1 Like

Ha. Glad you caught the references.

Could you elaborate on the paths you find lacking? I want to know so I can focus on them.

Glad you enjoyed it, and looking forward to you reading the next piece.