Hiding stats in stat sheet

How would I hide a stat in the stat sheet so that the reader doesn’t see it at the beginning of the game, but introduce it later on?

EX: a friendship stat for alex, but it wont be visible until you meet him

Does anybody know how to hide stats screen options until needed please?

You would do it with an if statement. You’d have to create a variable for meeting Alex in the startup file first, such as *create metalex false

Then in the stats screen, it would be something like:

*if metalex
      *stat_chart
           percent alex Alex

(With the “alex” following the “percent” being whatever variable you’ve made for Alex’s friendship stat. So if “metalex” isn’t true, this stat bar will not appear.)

Or you can simplify it like this

*if alex != 0
   *stat_chart
      percent alex Alex

Of course this wouldn’t work if your starting relationship isn’t 0.

Don’t do this! Well, not unless you plan to never have him going back to 0. (I’d also suggest starting relationships at a neutral 50, rather than 0, but anyway…)

Oh, yeah. Right.
It will be super awkward if you screwed up with alex badly, and then his name suddenly gone from the stats screen.

he ded

Okay so I have this problem! I can do THIS just fine in my stats screen menu I made:

*fake_choice
  *if erindna
    #Sister. Erin.
      *goto statspage
  *if not(erindna)
    #Form1
      *goto statspage
  *if silverdna
    #Silver. Border collie.
      *goto statspage
  *if not(silverdna)
    #Form2
      *goto statspage
  *if oliverdna
    #Dad. Oliver.
      *goto statspage
  *if not(oliverdna)
    #Form3
      *goto statspage

So you get a list of each shapeshifter form you have so far, and if you don’t have them it does the “Form(number)” option. BUT!!!

But does anybody know a way to do it to where it won’t show up AT ALL until you set the variable for each one? Or do I just have to be content with it showing a whole list of “Form 1-3” when it’s false?

Quick question: So, you want 3 conditions for each of the… npc dna? Not met (hidden), formX, and NPCdna?

Okay I found out a way to do it myself! It’s super simple actually! I don’t even need the menu or anything really! It’s a lot neater. :slight_smile:

It’s just like this:

*if (erindna)
  Erin

*if (oliverdna)
  Oliver

*if (silverdna)
  Silver

Yeah, I was gonna say - doing a bunch of *fake_choices wasn’t really necessary. I would definitely recommend making it

*if (erindna = true), however. The code can get confused and start to act up, so it’s a good practice to always have the(___ = true), instead of just “if ____”

Ah. So you throw away the choices and use a simple list, instead?

Yes! :slight_smile: It’s waaay simpler and faster!

Ok thanks. :slight_smile:

Yeah, even though it’s unnecessary I always use the full *if (variable = true) notation rather than the simplified *if variable form. It makes me feel confident that I know exactly the intention of what I’m doing.