Hero Project: Redemption Season News and Discussion

So then I need to ask being as it was played from the perspective of a new generation, if you had to judge it solely as not part of the series would you still think as poorly of it as now?

Is it not living up to its previous reputation or is it that it’s a low quality game to you?

Unless a game is so resoundingly bad that it gets a below 30% rating I usually couldn’t care any less about what the critics say about games on steam. Many games that are fun barely have a 50% rating.
The important thing to think about is why it’s liked and disliked, not the ratings.

Honestly in terms of it being a stand alone it’s not horrible. Its a bit boring and the ham-fisted way it handles its message is off-putting but I do think, as a starting point for a new series it could be way worse. It introduces the characters, the world, the MC and the plot okay… it’s just, for me, the characters are less interesting, I already knew the world, the MC is boring and never really felt like MY character, and the plot is what I liked the most but what we got the least of when it was squeezed in with its political message and all the characters (half of which won’t be sticking around for a long time given the nature of the game).

Though this game doesn’t exist in a vaccum, it’s going to be compared to the other games and to Zachary’s other works and, in my opinion, this is his weakest. The first Herofall does a better job in introducing the world, the characters, and is, in my opinion, more fun. The first Versus is also better and it’s similarly a starting off point for something new. I think Zachary can do better and that’s a big reason why it’s dissappointing for me.

But that’s just, like, my opinion, man.

10 Likes

I feel like we’re occupying a template character instead of our own with Redemption season. I just can’t bring myself to become invested in the characters or plot of Redemption Season as I was with the original trilogy.

I think it’s interesting you point out that his writing doesn’t exist in a vacuum, because I was more attracted to the first instalment of versus which does a much better job of drawing you into its setting. By the end of the second one I’m eagerly awaiting a continuation.

Also thanks, for pointing out Jury’s advances regardless of gender, I’d forgotten about that. I guess that eases the pain…if only slightly.

I agree with pretty much everything you’ve said, maybe it’ll get better with the next instalment.

Out of curiosity what did Zachary say when you asked about the return of your/our Bae?

@Phoenix_Wolf It’s great to see that people have had similar reactions.

2 Likes

I believe my exact question was “which demon do I need to sell my soul to to get Jury back?”

And his was response was “there’s no need for that.” Which I am hoping means we’re gonna get him back. But my paranoid mind also pointed out that it could mean it’s never going to happen so selling my soul would do nothing… I hope it’s the first thing.

3 Likes

You need to talk to Guy the Crossroads demon

1 Like

Thanks, but no thanks. Zachary said he wouldn’t be toning down the propaganda nature of the series on fb, so I’m done with it. I’ll check out the demo for sure, see what changes if any are being made. I’m not going to spend money on it though.

@Drakeye If it was a standalone, I wouldn’t have made it past the demo. Literally would’ve been like ‘GTFO with this’. The characters were weak and the plot was flimsy at best. I bought it in spite of its content, because of my love for the original series.

10 Likes

It is because a lot of people didn’t like this game, if you don’t go against the message of the game and care about it then you might enjoy it. But if you try to not follow the author’s agenda, then the game heavily punish you and force you to follow the author’s agenda.

This game was so bad that I almost didn’t buy Versus 2, I only bought it because poison_mara beta tested it and said it wasn’t an message game like HP. I’m very skeptical about any games Zachary might write now, and with poison_mara banned it will be difficult for me to buy this one.

2 Likes

Damn, I wish I got whatever Jury got with Lyra, femdom ftw! Papa bless

I haven’t played the game yet, and I’m looking through this thread after a long time, and I was struggling to think of a codename since I’d actually be playing myself this time and not “Goku”. You’re a genius. I’m using that name.

1 Like

This is brilliant! I wholeheartedly agree

Versus 2 is a good game despite its short length. I only hope it improves from then on. THP Redemptino is a very low point for Zachary’s games.

1 Like

In terms of length, on a sidenote. Can anyone provide the total word count for all HR games (individually?)

Most (if not all) games from CoG and HG put their word counts in the descriptions. You might want to start there.

I did. (On GPS) its not on there. That’s why i’m asking.

1 Like

Huh, it doesn’t seem to be on the website pages for the games either, or at least not anywhere that I can find. I checked the ‘About’ pages too, just in case…

Oooh, but according to the Steam page, Prodigy is 100,000 words, Hero Project is 175,000+ words, and HeroFall is 118,000+. Score. :D

4 Likes

Thanks.
And… wow… that’s, less than I expected…

1 Like

yeah… I always thought they were longer. They seem so short when you compare them to today’s COGs :smiley:

Wow, I kind of thought Prodigy and Herofall was a bit longer than that as well. I guess they are relatively linear though which makes a big difference to overall word count. Haven’t looked a the code but I suspect the coding is probably pretty efficient as well.

I liked the Jury romance because you don’t really have to change your playstyle to romance him. Lucky and Black Magic moved too fast for my liking and I found it annoying how they and Jenny were like “vote this way or i hate you” in heroes project even though only one person could win [i voted both lucky and black magic off]. Even though Jenny had the most logical reason for you to vote a certain way she still was imo unnecessarily angry if you voted Lucky off when her main priority was the investigation not the show [although i have to give Jenny a pass on this because it makes sense for her to micromanage others because of her profession and you do get to call her out on it a bit in heroesfall]. But heroes redemption is so much worse that I don’t know how start and I hope the entire thing is written off.

I’m going to start with the Jury romance. Sure maybe it was likely to fail, I played it in heroesfall as my MC being tired of fighting Jury from day one and thinking along the lines of ‘fuck what everyone else expects of me’ and ‘let’s see how this goes’, but his character was butchered in redemption. I disagree that a breakup was needed for Jury to grow as a person I think that’s just an excuse for poor writing, but having him be the boytoy of his boss, an older woman, wasn’t female empowerment it was just wrong. Her entire dialogue was cringey and since Jury is 23 and Diva is around 43 and Lyra [i think that was her name?] was around the age of Diva which places her at least 20 years older it was gross. I felt like Jury was shamed more for being a boytoy than Lyra was for being, frankly, pedophilic and after reading the whole book I get the feeling that if the genders and race were reversed it would have been written way different.

Speaking of genders and race. What the ever loving fuck. I liked the scene in heroes project where the characters discussed sexuality BECAUSE I got to know the characters beforehand, and seeing that wow they have their own problems outside of interacting with the MC made them more interesting/relatable. But in redemption there aren’t even characters anymore only soapbox stereotypes. Every single character introduces themselves as if they’re reading off a script [ha!] about what they represent and I didn’t get why I was so annoyed by that until I got to the part of Mach girl and the hijab. Like it’s such a small line, but at that point it felt like the straw breaking the camels back because hey I am a muslim woman with brown skin [newsflash Islam is a religion so anyone can be muslim including the 40yr old rich white guy] but that’s not all that I am; and reading that line made me feel the most insulted I ever had while reading a choicescript. You have all these unique superheroes and they were reduced to a stereotype, to a hijab. I am a person first not a representation of all the inequality and discrimination muslims face. Each character right off the bat would read about their struggles, I believe Miss Boss is the worst offender of this, and for some reason THAT was supposed to make me relate to them? Their struggles were supposed to define everything they were??? You can be trans/disabled/minority and still be a terrible person. People don’t have to like me just because I’m a token minority. There were so so so many more things wrong about the game that I haven’t even touched upon, like making voting off a character that was barely introduced somehow equivalent to letting your sister die, choices being so streamlined that your only options were really to support this idea aggressively or support it somewhat less aggressively, havng to play as the most boring MC ever, etc. But the worst would have to be having every. single. character. reduced to an identity. Like even if I was a character in this game and had superpowers, the only thing people would see me as would be a muslim. Not the powers, not the personality, just the stereotype.

This series had so much potential but in the end if I had to describe Hero Project: Redemption in one word, it would be disappointment.

8 Likes

Lbr: in the best case sergi is well meaning but “well meant isnt well done” as he does not seem to understand that while, yes, some anvils need to be dropped, they are not for everyone to drop, especially not if the person cares little for who they are dropped on. And in the worst case he’s working off some sort of checklist to earn ‘woke’/‘ally’ points just to stroke his ego.
I don’t know which it is, but i hope it’s the former and he genuinely learns someday (better sooner than later though)

then again… giving that we ended here AFTER he received criticism and THIS is his response… i dont have much hope…

2 Likes