Hero Project: Redemption Season News and Discussion

I haven’t had an issue. In my most recent game, my imported hero became a ‘corporate hero’, and in the sequel, he was listed as a ‘consultant’ for the Millennial Group. It also mentioned Jury’s trial for Jenny’s death.

For me, I can suspend my disbelief for alot of things: powers and how they work(as long as the universe follows the rules it sets up for itself then no problem, even in a few cases when it doesn’t add long as it’s done well enough sure), the state of a world and it’s people for the most part, motivations and schemes(“Because my sister died and no one cared I’m gonna end the Universe!!”), but actual human drama? That is one of my lines that should rarely be crossed. Mostly because there are so many variables in real life that can actually happen to people that there is no need in my eyes. Best friends sleeping with their husbands/wives? Can and has happened. A person staying in an abusive relationship for all their life despite knowing better? Can and has happened. Betrayal over insignificant things that turn into a full-scale personal war? Can and has happened. Doing something illegal or immoral for reasons that not everyone can understand? It can and has happened. And the beauty of it all is that just in the few examples I gave there are dozens of reasons for those things to happen and just as many ways for them to end.

Best friend was always attracted to the SO and the other person knew but pursued a relationship anyway while the SO feels like they are being underappreciated or overworked and the Best Friend is the only person able to fully relax them or appreciate them. The abusee is actually manipulating the abuser to do terrible things because they secretly get off on it while the abuser is feels like they are slowly killing themselves just being around the abusee but due to the damage they’ve done they feel they owe it to them to stay not to mention the fact that they’ve alienated all their old friends and family with their new behavior. So on and so forth. There’s no real reason, other than reassurance for the audience, to break character and motives established. I don’t need realism but consistency matters.

Hope this doesn’t come across as accusatory.

Given that motivations and schemes are part of human drama I don’t see how you can give the first a pass but not the latter. Aside from that distinction which strikes me as a bit artificial, I don’t disagree with you.

The fact that something is possible does not mean it’s necessarily wise to write in however. I’m simply of the mind that it’s disrespectful to f with an MC’s personal life after the character has been “retired” and players who grew attached to and identified with the old MC no longer have the ability to respond. Not only that, it makes it more difficult for some players to invest in and care about the new characters, because they’re too ticked off over what happened with their old MC to which after three previous games they’ve formed a much stronger attachment, especially when the author seems to be going out of his way to shock them in a rather unhappy way.

9 Likes

I’m not surprised at that, Heroes Rise was a decent story but not a very good choice game imho.

1 Like

There is something I don’t understand well, and is how many time has passed since the end of Heroes trilogy. Because in the epilogue of Herofall Two years has passed. However, in this game looks like all was only few months ago. If that were true then is still possible for Jury lovers to think Jury and their Mc still together after he broke her affair with her boss.

Two years? I can’t remember exactly now but I thought the epilogue was just a few months after - just about enough time for everything to die down

It’s two years from the start of the Heroes Rise till the end of the HeroFall.
The ending of the HeroFall is a six (IIRC) months after the Devoid War.

The begnning of the Hero Project Redemption Season is a few months after the HeroFall ending.

Ah, Thanks That has more sense. So no hope for Jury then. :frowning: Still I can’t understand how mi character here doesn’t know what happen with Victon and Prodigal. It was on public tv!. Also If the damn president of Usa is killed or is captured in a f*#$ battle royale live on Tv Everyone has to know. Even so Prodigal launched a nuclear fallout in our neighborhood!! With the possibility of thousands of people deaths. Nah, I don’t remember who killed half of ani powereds less than two years ago.

4 Likes

This. This sums up my greatest angst about Redemption Season.

6 Likes

I still don’t understand why we are so clueless. Or why we know about the Jury/MC breakup but not the LITERAL PRISON CAMPS RUN BY THE PRESIDENT.

Like it really wouldn’t have been very difficult for the MC to actually have some knowledge of the past, since the ending to HeroFall is mostly the same in that Victon is stopped and Prodigal dies right?

5 Likes

Could the extreme ignorance of the MC re: current events be to show just how badly not having a mechip cuts one off from the rest of the world? Y’know, reliance on technology and all that. Not that it’s an idea necessarily executed properly, judging from people’s reactions, and… don’t TVs and computers still exist?

But… The MC is poor (very poor, apparently) and seems to have split all of their time between working and taking care of JK. Add in the Russian roulette they play with their body simply by waking up every morning and… Well, I imagine it’s distracting. Rather, heavy responsibility mixed with disability likely breeds a certain sort of tunnel vision. To the point of not knowing that a nuke was set off in my backyard? I don’t know, I don’t fall into that intersection of identities that the MC does, so I can’t say if it’s ridiculous one way or another.

…or it’s simply questionable writing.

edit: would changing forms every day like the MC does be enough to screw with the brain and memory and all that?

Oh gosh, I feel this. I’m kind of on the fence about this though- while I love pain I am also feeling salty about it. I’m disappointed at the fact that we had no control over the HR MC’s actions and the Jurymance was just… Rest in pieces, omg. First two games with just rival tension, third being able to romance him, and then. Why this.

I want so badly to work on a fix comic but time and also feeling extremely bitter about RS. o(–< Thank you for liking what I’ve done though! Maybe sometime during the summer!

7 Likes

But even through their variety of jobs, the MC would almost certainly hear about half the events that went down. Gossip through coworkers, customers, or just listening to a radio during their shift.

It’s entirely possible the MC could be that ignorant of what’s going on around them, but the amount of sheer luck it would take to somehow miss every conversation involving those major events would be massive.

4 Likes

Oh, I don’t disagree there. You’d have to be actively avoiding people to miss that sort of stuff.

I’m just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing if anything sticks.

1 Like

No offence, but that sounds too smart to be the case. I have hope, but it’s not that confident.

4 Likes

Look to my example of motivations. It’s happens dozens of times in other RPGs after the first couple of times I just started to suspend it. I understand how it may start said motivation as a kid but as a full on adult? As a grown person you really blame the entire world? A world filled with an equally endless amount of injustices and justice. People worthy of life and unworthy of it. Happy people and miserable. Good and bad. And you decide to end ALL of that because of 1 bad experience but not the tens of good that got you in your position that could change things? Sure.

See what I mean?

Not really. Some people are that self-centered. So your examples are not that farfetched. After all extended suicide is a thing that’s exists.

Anyway the whole dilemma with Jury is not if it’s plausible that he and MC break up, but that players had to wait two and three-quarter games until they could even romance Jury, while being told when pursuing that romances how guilty they should feel for that, just to be told in the most unsensible way that their character and Jury broke up, while having no control over the situation. It honestly feels like players are repeatedly punished for liking Jury more as they should.

And now, no matter what happens, even when MC and Jury patch up their relationship in the end, if we don’t get some extended POV chapters for old MC, players will feel cheated of a romance some us anticipated since the first heroes rise game.

So it anyway isn’t about how plausible it is, but how thoughtless it is against the players, who had to contend oneself with a half-baked, very rushed romance.

5 Likes

If I recall, the MC has a job as a night security guard and is kept well away from everyone else because of the unpredictable morphing qualities, yes? I also remember something about the MC being passed by with promotions and less isolating positions due to said qualities.

The victon battle royal parents execution was broadcasted in public channels to make everyone watching it. Prodigal Nuclear fallout happen in our neighborhood, You could feel it lol. It’s like say a guy born and living in Brooklyn didn’t know that 11 S had happened two years after the fact. So you are a pro Ani idol but don’t know about a fact that affected so much your own community? That’s just If I were my character I would die before having Prodigal in my head. She is a terrorist she created a nuclear blast that could caused thousands of deaths . In my main I saved the lives of people but even if i save lives thousands of people, poor people most ani powereds lost their homes and businesses. Having in my head someone who caused so many pain is not funny, not funny at all.

6 Likes

I couldn’t remember the specifics of who was where at the time of the explosion… but that definitely kind of points more towards ‘questionable writing.’ I’m still hoping that ‘constant animal shifting screws with memory’ is also a thing, but… Eh.

However… Just because it was a public broadcast doesn’t mean the MC saw it; they didn’t have a mechip before going out for The Hero Project (iirc) and…I don’t know if they’d have been able to catch it by any other means.

Also…I don’t think the MC was necessarily a pro-Ani anything prior to appearing on The Hero Project. I haven’t played the game in a while, but the only thing the MC really seemed to care about pre-THC was JK. Being on the show kind of forced them into the limelight, and their politics depend on the player.

I probably sound like I’m wholeheartedly defending the game. I’m not; if the writing and execution is… simply not good in spots, then it deserves discussion. It just seems like people are forgetting that their character doesn’t necessarily know what they know. Why the character doesn’t know these things in this particular case is, so far, sort of nonsensical, but that doesn’t change much of anything.

…And, also, I just like to throw random ideas out for kicks

edit: Perhaps the MC doesn’t remember the explosion because they’re repressing that memory?

4 Likes