Hero or Villain: Genesis (feedback thread)

As people have started to ask, the testing for part 2 will follow what I did for part 1. Basically, the first half of the game will be public, and only those that catch bugs and provide feedback will be given links to part 2 of the game. So, for anybody wanting to test the game, please just wait until I post the thread (hopefully in the next week or so).

3 Likes

Yeah canā€™t wait for the next part loved the first game and now my crime boss speedster can return. Will there be a save system so that you can load your character from the first game

2 Likes

I think there will eventually be one, but not 100% sure how this works in choicescript. For the time being (unfortunately) you will probably have to create a new character to playtest. Once the game is almost finished I guess Iā€™ll be asking CoG how that part works (though, does anybody have any idea of this part works?)

Ohh wow, I cannot wait @adrao, my character became an evil villainess and built up her own organization, course she misses Maya not that she was kidnapped by those pesky aliens lol. Will Maya be one of the romance options? it is a very fine game, one of my favorites :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maya? You mean Agamya? (the pilot of the SA?) She was a RO in the first game ( did you never go down the Mongolia route? ). So, if you have RO the SA in the first game, then you can continue this romance in the second one (some of that is already coded into the game!). I havenā€™t coded any option to RO her if she wasnā€™t already your partner from the first game. It could be a bitā€¦ abrupt? But, if many request it, Iā€™ll consider doing it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was talking I think about the cute girl in the shop who sells weapons lol. I went the vampire route, and before and after that the super villainess route, launching a takeover of the cityā€™s underworld :smiley: thatā€™s one Iā€™m hoping for more of, ditto the fellow office workers lol, and the people you met on the plane.

1 Like

good to see how the games are turning out to be.

but say,I had been thinking in the current game might not be possible but maybe in the sequal(if we can get new powers that is) in the option of miscellaneous powers add the option of shrinking yourself, which could give some benefits but also downsides to it as well? for exemple making hard to get hit but also take more damage if get hit and do less damage with physical attacks,but being able to get opponents by surprise.

1 Like

@Nika, currently Iā€™m not expecting many of those left back on Earth to make an appearance, though I am planning a side mission to allow communication with them . There will be new RO, but itā€™ll be obviously up to the reader to decide what to doā€¦

@yazata sorry, but I have too many powers already (itā€™s so much coding and thinking already about the power thereā€¦ ). I might eventually re-work this code to make another game, and I might introduce more powers then (so, I am turning such ideas in my headā€¦ just for this second part there is already too many things turning in my head just with the story).

6 Likes

itĀ“s ok. I am still looking foward to what is coming next regarless

1 Like

Hello author, i think there are somethings you can do to improve your story. When we are in the vampireā€™s house, we have the option to light the way with our phone or flashlight. I think we should accidentally drop the phone and break it when we are surprised by the vampire. And, for people who choose to date Steel Astronaut, we should have the option to give him/her the gift we got while at Nepal/Mongol(plate, bracelet, etc)

2 Likes

It would be nice if you consider some of my suggestions.
1/ After defeated the mutated guard at EHGI, have another option to keep the enhancing serum instead of using or throwing it away. Players with high engineering skill can ivestigate the serum and invent new type of weapon based on it. I think this weapon should somehow affect the heroesā€™ given ability.
2/ Players can buy gifts for Steel Astronaut on our way to his/her place. Or maybe, we can make the gift ourselves, even rob a stone/research about the stone for him/her.
3/ A side story. After decided they theyā€™d stay in New York instead of chase after Steel Astronaut, players should fight with a mutated tree/animal. The trees/animals are kept inside a lab and was experimented by the EHGI scientists. Somehow, they manageed to make the stone affect trees/animals. After killed all of them, one of the options is to eat the fruit and gain a bit of power/to keep the animal as a farmiliar. I think itā€™d be more interesting to fight something like that, especially if you have a familiar by your side when fighting Moon Crusader (however it equals a crazy amount of work). Compared to the path that makes us travel from America to Phillipines to Nepal to Mongolia, the decision to stay in America makes the story kinda shorter.

2 Likes

What are the changes in 1.2.2?

1 Like

It would be nice if you consider some of my suggestions.
1/ After defeated the mutated guard at EHGI, have another option to keep the enhancing serum instead of using or throwing it away. Players with high engineering skill can ivestigate the serum and invent new type of weapon based on it. I think this weapon should somehow affect the heroesā€™ given ability.
2/ Players can buy gifts for Steel Aeronaut on our way to his/her place. Or maybe, we can make the gift ourselves, even rob a stone/research about the stone for him/her.
3/ A side story. After decided they theyā€™d stay in New York instead of chase after Steel Aeronaut, players should fight with a mutated tree/animal. The trees/animals are kept inside a lab and was experimented by the EHGI scientists. Somehow, they manageed to make the stone affect trees/animals. After killed all of them, one of the options is to eat the fruit and gain a bit of power/to keep the animal as a farmiliar. I think itā€™d be more interesting to fight something like that, especially if you have a familiar by your side when fighting Moon Crusader (however it equals a crazy amount of work). Compared to the path that makes us travel from America to Phillipines to Nepal to Mongolia, the decision to stay in America makes the story kinda shorter.

1 Like

I found a small loop in Mr. Watsonā€™s fight (I played as a supervillain with light powers who was seeking to build a crime empire). The same taunt menu (you tell him that his powers are good at a barbecue, stuff like that) plays twice. If you attack him (either with light or with a weapon), it is escaped. If you do a non-violent action (such as blinding him with light), it continues. A similar thing happens with the ninjas that he has as guards.

Also, if the character is immune to fire (or whatever the enemyā€™s power is), there should be an option to taunt the enemy with that. My light villain was immune to fire, and I hoped that I would get to do that in the fight with Watson.

Also is it possible to romance Tidal Bore as a crime-empire-building supervillain? Or do you have to be good aligned to get good aligned ROs to like you (Iā€™m guessing the opposite also applies for Steel Aeronaut and others)?

2 Likes

How do you get the Steel Astronaut to be your partner

2 Likes

Hi, just a quick reply to everybody. Basically, these days Iā€™m spending a lot less time in the forum, and more trying to finalize the second part of the story, re-read, de-bug, etc.

I really like and appreciate all the comments and feedback! :slight_smile: There are some great suggestions and bugreports, and I will work on these next week. I think in between these and other changes I have made (due to bug reports and feedback in private threads, etc) another update should be warranted at the beginning of April.

A detailed answer to each of you will thus follow once I start doing this, individually replying to each of the points you made! (sorry about delaying this answer, just my mind is fully focused at the moment on the second part, as I want to get that out for the playtesting of the full game). So, please bear with me for a bitā€¦

7 Likes

Itā€™s an not a

1 Like

Sorry for the late replies to everybody. Iā€™ve been completely immersed in the second book. However, this weekend an update should go up. The list of changes is massive, big and small.

@BobaTea304 I added the options to gift the SA with a bracelet, candle or plate! Thanks for the suggestion! :slight_smile:
The side stories are interesting, and in line with what I had in mind. However, any new side missions will have to wait for a bit, until part 2 is fully submitted and under review (I completed it, but still undergoing final playtestingā€¦)

@Patrick_Cody02 I will make a list about the latest changes soon! :slight_smile:

@Snowflower bugs you reported should now be corrected, and taunt is included! (thanks for the suggestion, but let me know if any of the bugs persist). And sorry, but no, you cant RO Tidal Bore as a criminalā€¦ SA is difficult if you are a hero, but you can ā€œchangeā€.

@Mr_Slurmp you should pursue her to Mongolia, and do everything you can not to antagonize her before thatā€¦

@0roxson0, ah yesā€¦ not sure how to really sort that oneā€¦ its somehow difficult from a coding point of viewā€¦ mmmmmm

2 Likes

A new version of the game was uploaded. The most notable future is the implementation of the save system. So, you should now be able to save your characters, which can then be imported into book 2 (which is now in the final stages of testing).

v1.3. Changes (352,000 words)

-5,000 extra words

-Implemented new end of game save system, to import characters into book 2.

-Possibility of giving the Steel Aeronaut gifts.

-Water powers now have a new crystalline power option.

-Various bugfixes and new uses for powers in many fights.

-Typos etc fixed.

10 Likes

Hey love the game and canā€™t wait for the sequal! Just curious would it at all be possible to add Escrima Sticks and Shurikans to the potential weapons. Iā€™m really trying to make a Nightwing Build! Thank you!

1 Like