Hero of Daria: The RPG (WIP) - CLOSED

That kind of failed after a while once you had maxed the stat, so it was easy to pass checks.

2 Likes

WE WILL BE ABLE TO TELEPORT?!

4 Likes

It does. Many successes (depends on the scenario) gives you XP. With that, you gain skills and can increase your stats to make things pass more often.

The thing is, I enjoy making both kinds. This game satisfied the itch of a sandbox, epic scope, randomized dungeon crawling type of game. Although the story hasn’t been shown yet, I think the general plot is pretty cool and will be enjoyed.

But, I also like writing other stories. So I’m very curious to see if this style of game (moving around, fighting things, helping people, growing in stats, randomization) is good as a Choicescript game, or if I should stick to a more novel-based approached.

5 Likes

@Lucid

This is more of a balance thing, but I feel the number of uses control on spells for wizards really weakens the class. I would recommend either restrict casting based on tiredness or a separate mana stat bar (like health) that can be improved by upgrading willpower perhaps.

If you want to allow spell focus perhaps add a perk that you can cast a type of spell, like fire based spells, when you are exhausted. You can also make improved steps of a spell so flamebolt upgrades to fireball and then to firestorm for example.

5 Likes

Well, that’s good to hear. You know my opinion on which I prefer.
:smile:

1 Like

Excellent idea for casting improvement Cascat. Limiting our spells to one use per point spent per Level was not something I enjoyed. Mana sounds like a better idea- with the perks suggested too.

1 Like

SO… what’s your planned level cap?

(I already cheated leveled up enough to get all the perks. :blush:)

I was a little surprised to see the spell leveling difference between cleric and wizard

On another note anyone else remember blood moon prophecy?

2 Likes

I think to restrict the spells to uses per day is a really good idea and it immediately reminded me of DnD. If you can use spells only a few times, it forces you to rethink and figure out which weapon/second class you need to choose to survive in the long run.

2 Likes

How the heck did you get so many levels…

1 Like

Modding files, I’m also guilty of it.

1 Like

I agree that limited spells is fine, but I don’t like having to choose limits on casting each. D&D’s spell level system or mana would be preferable imho.

2 Likes

You mean that, instead of only getting to choose which spell gets an extra use, you‘d like for all of them to get an extra one when leveling up? (Or getting to choose if all the attacks, or all the shields, get an extra use)

1 Like

Uses of spells and spells learned set by level, but we can use any spell we know as much as we want when using Magic up to our spells per day or mana, whichever is preferred. I don’t like having to put all my spells on fire to hit one enemy weakness, then limit myself in other areas. Or is this too OP?

2 Likes

This sounds awesome, looking forward to seeing where all this goes and what all I will be able to do in it once completed, great concert from possibly my favorite hosted games author

3 Likes

But the good thing is that Arcana Blast always hits and is a „normal“ type of spell.

1 Like

I think ‘which RPGers’ might be a relevant question here, too, though, aye? There are all sorts of RPGs and they attract all sorts of different people.

Hero of Daria reminds me a tiny bit of some of the stuff being done with the Icicle Engine, for instance.

Anyway, whatever you decide, I’m sticking around as a fan. :D The experiments and the novel-flavoured games both interest me, and it’s always fascinating to see where you take your games.

7 Likes

I like Arcane Blast too, but I dislike only being able to pick one spell I can spam.

1 Like

But isnt that the challenge :slight_smile:? To speculate which spells you want to use more/need more right now?
What do you mean with only one spell? You can distribute three points each level. Or do you mean with „one spell“ that only one of them has a chance to always hit the enemy?

1 Like

That’s how tabletops do. I’ve always though HoD would be based off of a DnD style game, only being able to use a few of the spells you know at once is part of the challenge.

2 Likes

What I mean is Firebolt, Arcane Bolt, ice bolt are all first level, you get three first level spells a day not have to pick which three spells at level up or before resting. You never know what you’ll be facing each day.

1 Like