Hero of Daria: The RPG (WIP) - CLOSED

Thats what I meant, when you choose to ask her about alchemy you can learn the recipe for a health and strength potion and I think she tells you that different ingredients have different uses.

1 Like

I present to you my best character so far! (it took grinding, obviously).

I’d have to spend some serious time to grind to be able to collect so much to purchase the full-plate armor, so I only have half-plate now. Also, I have tons of alchemy stuff despite having 0 alchemy skill. Neat.

1 Like

I’m curious as to how things will work when new variables are added. From my understanding, they would just get the starting values. So, a new potion added might work fine and not cause an error? We’ll see.

Save often for now, but when things grow, you might have to restart. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With the experimenting I have done, I don’t think new varables should be a problem.

1 Like

Thats me

And thats my inventory

1 Like

Two words: sewers and searching.

1 Like

Do we have to all the way to the store changing rooms to equip and unequip anything?

1 Like

I now fully understand this meme
https://goo.gl/images/ZtrFkh

4 Likes

No, if you go to the forest and set up a camp you can equip and unequip items.

1 Like

You need a Rat Tail to upgrade your party to Prestige Classes with Bahamut. Keep it to become Knight, Ninja, Red Wizard… Never mind, wrong game. :smile:

And in case a lot of people in here don’t know what I’m talking about (I’m old), this is a reference to the original NES Final Fantasy.

4 Likes

Hmmm… I find the game to be a tad overwhelming. There’s too much back and forth which makes it tedious and it doesn’t help some locations require you to cross other sections first (move to X, in order to reach Y, to finally arrive at Z), which on a text game, with no visual orientation, can very easily lead to confusion.

I also don’t like having to manage my energy and food levels, I find it unecessary, an extra layer of complexity that adds very little to the game other than just being another obstacle in my adventure. I like semi-realistic (like survival) aspects in videogames but on a text adventure it’s an entirely different thing.

The biggest gripe however, and this is just personal opinion, is that there’s too much “gameplay” and not enough “story” so far. I believe your biggest challenge here, aside from dlivering your promises, will be to balance both aspects of the game. I disliked XoR for this very reason, I stopped playing after reaching Winter because I just couldn’t stand the managing aspect of it.

I commend you for your tenacity and ambition, however, I think I’m going to wait until the game’s a bit further into development before jumping back in because so far… it didn’t click.

4 Likes

Yes, the story is barely there. I wrote lots of extra side stuff to give a good start from multiple vantages, but when the game is finished, I suspect that most people will pick only 1 start, and then proceed to Tornassa to save the day. So, hopefully when it’s done (or futher along), the story will feel more complete.

Thanks for giving it a go.

This game won’t be for everyone. It’s much different than anything else out there. I’m hoping that there are others who enjoy dungeon crawls and traditional RPGs like me.

I might be wrong about making a game like this using text, like Choicescript. That’s another hurdle, since you have to be a text gamer AND an RPGer. Again, I hope that there are others like me out there.

19 Likes

How are Poisons going to work?
Am I able to coat my arrows in poison before going to battle, as well as with strength and healing potions, or am I going to throw a vial at the enemy and hope for the best?

1 Like

I just played the game some. It was fun even if I did get killed by Wolves a lot. Two issues-

• Seemed I could only work for the Town Guard once and I never got paid after doing so.

• Is finding the Inn Robbers in the Sewers just random chance or do you need to search a specific amount of times? I looked a lot and never found the Robbers, only plenty of weak and very weak Bandits, Moss, and the occasional Giant Rat.

Not sure if these are bugs or not, so I came to this thread about them rather than the bug thread.

2 Likes

I think there are a lot like you but word and trust will need to be built up - Like, Havenstone’s audience I think by the time you’re ready to push this live, you will have a dedicated audience.

7 Likes

To be honest when you opened the thread I thought it will be some 2D game like old final fantasy ones or something (cause you said sandbox role playing) , with your own story/dialogues. Was kinda surprised it’s text based

1 Like

But it still stands for sandbox. You can pretty much travel around anywhere you go, and it’s unique from other CoG games: you can spend in-game months just sleeping and you won’t advance the story unless you want to. I’m assuming you don’t even have to follow it.

4 Likes

Just realized that you can basically stay in chapter 1, and grind to a really high level until you’re strong enough to steamroll through the other chapters.

I’m kinda tempted to do it when the full game is out.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes, to find the thieves guild you have to randomly find a thief and then you’ll find your way.

I might give you a soldier’s wage, that’s a good idea.

This is Choicescript Land. We do text round here. :smiley:

This will be more apparent when I get more areas. When you can just walk away from the main quest and explore the world. Right now, you’re stuck in Elmvale, but that’s not by design, that’s just because I haven’t wrote the other places yet.

Eventually there will be more than one kind, but likely the first one will work like the Thief power Poison.

Very true! This is a perk of sandbox games. If you get stuck on a quest, leave it, and come back later. The difficulty of certain places will self-correct, since you can always leave it until you’re stronger.

9 Likes

I’ve been trying to put this into better words but I suppose being straightforward is the best approach

The combat is amazing and definitely lives up to the “The RPG” in the title but there is something to be said about the comprehensibility of the combat and stats system in general. I understand it’s tempting to just shove in as much micro-management as possible( don’t get me wrong, I’m a dedicated min-max-er) but the truth is that the far majority of people, including within the whole CoG/Hg community will not enjoy a complete mindf*ck.
I suggest simplifying the system or at least better managing how you display the stats since I was bombarded with numbers the first time I opened up my attributes and skills tabs( eg. if something is a +0, should it really be there?)

As for the story, I think I’ll be frank and say that it’s abysmal. The plot itself I won’t judge since this is a very short demo but the way the story is presented and how you interact with plot devices are confusing and borderline unintelligible.
The Kendrickstone series, although definitely flawed in terms of story development, benefits greatly from a more organic approach to story-telling.
A more similar recommendation for you to take pointers from is another WIP called Grand Aera Online. Its combat system is definitely inferior compared to yours but like the Kendrickstone games, it manages to handle the narrative beautifully without sacrificing much gameplay

4 Likes