Heart's Choice General Discussion

Probably going to get Jazz Age, Dawnfall and A Pirate’s Pleasure at launch! (The last one might be F/M but I love the setting and hey I have played many a female character in games before!)

2 Likes

This is so exciting! I’m so happy to be part of HC’s launch and can’t wait to see all the amazing stories!

5 Likes

Thanks @HarrisPS, and thanks everyone for the excitement about Heart’s Choice. I’m thrilled to be part of this excellent, growing lineup, and I can’t wait to get my new title into everyone’s hands!

26 Likes

If you want to put an idea for a potential hearts choice game to gauge interest is it best here or the interest thread?

I guess ideally one of the two Interest threads, though I should mention they’re only letting official writers do games for HC ala Choice of Games rather than anyone as with Hosted Games. So I guess you have to be shifted over? Since you’re already an established writer though I guess you could manage it more easily! :slight_smile:

1 Like

They consider releasing a Hosted game as being published so it shouldn’t be a problem. It’s nothing but an idea for later down the line. So just finding out where best :slight_smile:

6 Likes

About interest-checks: It’s definitely OK to have a general conversation here about the kinds of games that you’d like to see in Heart’s Choice!

About @Nocturnal_Stillness’s question in particular: if you’re tossing around specific ideas for what you’d like to write, that would be better suited to another thread; we’d like to keep this thread for more general discussion.

And, more broadly: you’re right that Heart’s Choice authors follow the same application process as Choice of Games authors. So, please think of Heart’s Choice interest-checks in the same way that you would for Choice of Games: an interest-check discussion can’t guarantee that an author or concept will be picked up for publication by Heart’s Choice. (Which is not to imply that that’s what you were asking, @Nocturnal_Stillness! Just pre-emptively clarifying for other people who might have questions along those lines.)

12 Likes

Thanks for answering. That’s what I thought. I just like to plan out ideas to see if they’ll be worth the effort. Even if not considered for HC or CoG I can submit them via HG. It’s all good :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey perhaps a stupid question (I hope not)…it was mentioned that HC would have its own website, which sounds different to me than the mere tab that Hosted Games has on the CoG website.

Does that mean a separate forum will exist for discussing HC releases, or will those discussions be folded into the forums here, much like with HG?

One forum.

3 Likes

…to rule them all.

30 Likes

Well in terms of stuff I’d like to see the logical one is something like Spider-Man where you have to juggle your romantic life with you super hero antics, veering between normal citizens to fellow superheroes to forbidden flings with villains! :wink:

Dawnfall will probably scratch my sci-fi Mass Effect/Star Trek romance itch, so more historical, high fantasy, time travel and location based romances either for M/F, GV/F or GV will work for me! :grin:

5 Likes

Neat. Been hankering for a romance-focused CYOA for a while and this is a perfect idea for those who shoot only for such.

2 Likes

Looking back at the earlier m/f discussion, I just finished watching Adventure Time, and I think it could be a great non-toxic template for m/f romance:

-The male protagonist is powerful in some ways (fighting), but weak in others (social grace, age)
-All of the love interests are in a socially higher position (princesses) and can’t really be dominated by the protagonist
-The LI’s all have their own lives and interests, and the PC can’t automatically make everyone love them (like PB being more interested in Marceline/older people)
-The LI’s don’t put up with mistreatment (Flame Princess)

I know the Heart’s Choice format doesn’t always have a large group of love interests, but I think these same elements could work well in a game with only 1 or 2 LIs.

These were just some thoughts I had, more hypothetical than anything else.

18 Likes

I think these are some great ideas! I think generally what a M/F focused game would need is interesting and engaging female characters who are their own characters, much really like any sort of romance game. I think setting is also important, to the extent that with a romance game I think it is actually easier to define a setting or place which specifically suits a female character than specifically a male one (or at least one where they are romancing female characters specifically). So per one of my past examples I might say a space smuggler setting where the MC is a Han Solo type would be an ideal M/F option, but a female player might be sad they can’t play a Jyn Erso type. Where as it would be hard to imagine upcoming games like Demons and Decorum or Never Date Werewolves working with a male character. :laughing:

Weyhaven I think is an interesting game when played as a male MC with female ROs because it successfully fulfills the idea you mention above - the MC is a detective with some levels of skills in deduction, science, charisma and combat, but they aren’t the powerhouses that Ava and her team are. There’s a definite sense of equality once the player has gotten to know them.

I think a good idea with approaching any romance game is looking at the ROs and thinking ‘if this game was from their perspective instead and they could romance your MC or others, what would that be like? Would they feel like that was possible as a character?’ If a romance simply appears to exist as a option for the MC and little else, they’re not that engaging. So stuff like that.

3 Likes

Exactly. I love Jyn Erso (while I freaking hate Rey, but I won’t get into that). I probably wouldn’t buy a game where you could only play as a male smuggler if it was a romance-focused game, but if you could have a choice of Han/Jyn (with some male LIs for Jyn), I’d be all over it.

You feel like there’s equality between UB and the MC?? I totally disagree with that, but am hoping the second game will even things out a bit more. Playing the helpless, hapless idiot who gets treated like they’re made of glass never sits well with me, though, so your mileage may vary.

I agree with this. But something people also need to take into consideration is that some females (some strong females, in fact) like pushy male LIs to bicker with and have a nice antagonistic romance with (guys that act like doormats are a huge turnoff for me, and the overly sappy romantic stuff makes me want to barf–better two powerhouses than a powerhouse with a whipping boy).

Case in point, go play the Ebon Light VN (it’s free) and romance Lacey–that was not only the best romance in the game, it’s one of the best romances I’ve seen to date in any game/VN/IF. And he was a gigantic douche, in the beginning (one my MC promised to kill, to his face). To each their own, but not every woman in the world is offended, disgusted, or afraid of being pushed around by a strong, alpha male type.

5 Likes

Reminder: this is a thread for discussing Heart’s Choice games and specifically what kinds of games you might like to see added to the Heart’s Choice line. Please keep your responses relevant to that topic. Discussion about films, unrelated media, or other romance games and tropes–Hosted or otherwise–needs to take place elsewhere.

Good: “I’d love to see a Heart’s Choice game set in the Victorian era.”

Not relevant: “I love/hate/ship/pursue X type of romance option in this movie/book/unrelated game.”

13 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Star Wars

A HC game in the Victorian era sounds pretty great :smirk:

9 Likes

Honestly, I’ve been saving my Google Opinion Rewards money for months just to be able to splurge on Heart’s Choice games as soon as the first badge of games is released. I’m particularly pumped for Dawnfall, All World Pro Wrestling, and If It Pleases the Court, but I’m sure I’ll buy more than that. :smile:

6 Likes