HCF:Redux(Soon to be renamed) W.I.P. (October 25, 2019, 100k words)

We’re back with a new update and right before Halloween. This finally kicks off things starting to get into what I call high gear. Branches starting to diverge, stats being used and with it, the actual possibility of the MC no longer having their handheld and the risk of actually failing something(I’d recommend building magic or command skills, currently.)

So what actually happens in this update exactly? The potential for the mc to become a hero, characters getting expanded on and the feeling of getting somewhere. Finally reaching the new area where things are about to get more interesting and less linear. Including more expanded on the route to recruit the demon of passive aggressive rage, though not possible quite yet.(As well as making it an option to fight him regardless of motive, because I felt it may make things too obnoxious if it’s left to some highly specific things the player wouldn’t think of.)

I have made the deliberate inclusion of a skip button so players familiar with things, can just jump ahead after the first chapter and which is also for my connivence to make play testing a lot more bearable. I’m pleased to report that this should function just fine, lest the script goblins want to mess with me again.

So what’s next on the agenda? First, I feel a name change will come soon, since I don’t think this project can really be compared to the original anymore and should be given a certain identity of it’s own. Aside from that, the current plan is: Killing an unkillable monster. The Kumiho and demon finally getting more of a chance to do stuff. The MC’s in universe counterpart making an appearance. Cat girl ninjas. The chance to have your followers bond with each other and move away from generally being apathetic about the other’s existence. It will be a lot, so it most likely will focus on one thing.

On a small note, there is now a discord link where things relating to the game or whatever else, can be had. No obligation to anybody to join it, though it’s became a recent trend by authors to have them and that seems like a thing to do.

Link is here:
https://dashingdon.com/play/hex/hcf-redux/mygame/

Summary

Current Trigger Warnings

Explicit violence, blood, sexually suggestive themes, bugs

My personal current criticisms with the current version

I also decided on making a small segment here so people better understand where exactly my head is at and what I feel are the biggest problems currently:

1. It seems to run on a little too long between choices in some areas. Entertaining for a first read, maybe. Will get annoying on multiple playthroughs, especially where it feels more or less the same from other routes. Doing my best to make them feel unique, though it’s not always doable.

2. How exactly should things progress with so much starting to divide?

3. I should look at earlier scenes and think of how to improve the writing in some areas.

Explaining some of my decisions

Just as a small segment to explain things that I don’t agree with, this mostly relates to a discussion I had with someone I know. The idea was that the MC should be left in a single form to cement the narrative better…which I had to tell them that I just didn’t agree with at all. If I had to pick something to be the main draw of the game, it’s purely the fact that the mc is actually able to change form in game. If you take away that bit, it doesn’t actually add that much more depth. It removes the elements it has that actually somewhat distinguish it due to the ability to do that. Which makes a rare case where I will actually reject the advice someone gave me.

Following that, morality systems. I just don’t see how it would really work in a good or evil sense. As pretentious as I might come across, it detracts from the narrative. It just doesn’t make sense, since so much of the point is a blue and orange morality. It has little to do with good or evil actions. Virtually the whole point is the subjection of how an otherwordly being might view creatures that exist with that kind of system, but doesn’t have any concept or understanding itself. To turn it into an entirely black and white situation…it just wouldn’t work. Even the arguably Big Good character of the game doesn’t operate on the kind of logic that a human would have with actions. To label the actions as such, in my mind, just defeats the entire purpose.

Discord Link

https://discord.gg/uDpDw9

199 Likes

Don t know how it used to be, but I’m finding this interesting. Also can we get some info on our “trueselves”.

Can we get some more info about the story’s plot, setting, etc.? The summary was pretty short.

1 Like

I was too emerged in the story and the sound scared the shit outta me. it was 3am here jajsjakak. Keep up good work!!!

4 Likes

I got say this is fun read and nose birds scared that crap me it is 8;00 pm

2 Likes

Oh, a new take on Hag Called Fate? Well now, this I have to see.

I think the new intro might have a bit less ‘oomph’ than the old one. That being said, the new concept certainly is intriguing, and making the story less dependant of a backstory the MC does know about, but the player doesn’t, might be a good move.

The Mc feels more alien this time around, which is an interesting design choice. Curious to see where this will all lead. Nonetheless, glad to have you back, and keep up the good work!

2 Likes

it well made story on villain or person how seen as bad guy to peaple

1 Like

Enjoyed the demo.

A couple of comments though.

While it makes sense that a lovecraftian band of tentacles and what I can only assume looks like a floating ball of light would not have an obvious gender, I would think that the Seraph and the Kishin would be humanoid enough that they would have a gender assumed by people, even if they are wrong assumptions.

And since the characters know the MC, I would have to think they’d know the pronouns their boss, The Almighty One, wishes.

I’m picturing a lovecraftian Almighty One that is a they, and a wisp that is an it, for example.

And while it’s not a big deal for me, I imagine some people would very much like a choice in what kind of beastkin the character’s shell presents as.

5 Likes

Ah! This is great! Finally, the power of a Pigeon God is within my grasp!

1 Like

This hits a few nails on the head of my thought process and you make a lot of great points. For the first thing, I agree completely, and my thoughts on that are just a little different.

The whole reason Kaja isn’t even sure in the first place is because as far as the mc’s race goes, the equivalents of male or female don’t quite fall in the same definitions if they exist at all. Hence, she’s forced to come up with “close enough” rather than exactly. It can apply to heavenly figures as well.

Example, in Indian culture, Vishnu. Vishnu is a deity and a male, but not a human male. Because of that, Vishnu, as a god, doesn’t hold the same standards of what makes something “male” or “female”.

This all bears into the fact the MC is something as other people noted a much more alien figure than the previous incarnation. It’s an nigh-unstoppable all powerful being. It’s own sense of logic, morals, and even belief about gender roles, are most likely entirely foreign concepts, compared to lesser things.

As for more detailed beastkin, I agree with that. There’s a labeling issue with that, I need to think of a solution for, coding wise, but it would be nice to have more clear types… I already think I need to add some more race options for potential shell bodies, though it’s a bit complicated to think of what would work for that.

5 Likes

Can’t wait to see where this goes.

Kinda hoping we would be able to have a partial transformation. Like, not quite returning back to our true self yet not entirely human either.

On to other topic, I don’t know which I prefer, the old A Hag Called Fate or this redux. The first one has it’s own charm on being the dragon to a incompetent big bad, while this one puts the mantle of big bad to you yourself. I also kinda miss the interaction we had with our fellow generals in the prior version, there’s just something grounding in knowing that you have an equal, at least position wise.

Edit :

Apparently, I’m a tentacle monster. I’ve seen enough…art to know where this is going ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

13 Likes

I thought about the MC having a snarky comment about that-

“You made me male because of the tentacles, right? You know they aren’t the same thing, yes?”

3 Likes

In my case it would be more like, “Nice. Very nice. Already one step closer to regaining my countless tentacles. Truly a caring subordinate you are. /s”

2 Likes

I really like this new version. Just wondering if it wouldn’t cause to much of a hassle with the story, would you bring any of the old races back?

cough the dragon cough

4 Likes

A Hag Called Fate is Good though but I also liked this one I’ve always dreamed of being an Overlord and I love those Slimy Tentacles I just need to find those Highschoo–

10 Likes

Love where I’m the villain knocking puny humans out so count me as a fan keep up the good work can’t wait to see what you got in store for us

1 Like

I love this, i hope you keep it up man good work.

1 Like

I enjoyed the demo! A few Qs/notes:

What does HCF stand for? I’m not aware of the original.

I’m glad there’s a non-binary option! However, I don’t really understand why “It’s more complicated than body parts alone” is the text for it when the others are simply this is a boy/girl, cause gender in general is about more than body parts, not just for non-b ppl. I get it in the sense of our MC not wanting to delve into it atm (since explaining can be complicated), but there’s def the implication that being outside the binary is “complicated” when it’s really just different. at least that’s how I feel about my gender, I def resent it being called that by others irl.

can I assume that later the other trueself options will get the same amount of detail in their introductory descriptions as the Kishin currently does? I could imagine that form very well but couldn’t picture the other two I checked out from what’s there so far.

is Villas pronounced with a ‘y’ for the double l?

I’m surprised both the MC and Kaja don’t have more of a reaction to Villas dumping cold water on us, I would personally probably beat someone to a pulp and I’m just a puny mortal. and i don’t mean we should react that way! just that omg cold water on a sleepy being is so jarring and awful, I expected more.

Looking forward to future updates, I always love an opportunity to curbstomp my enemies. oh i hope i can amass a violent cult following :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

HCF is short for Hag Called Fate.
Went and found the original in Dashingdon and I can see the similarities, though I’m finding the Redux more interesting.

3 Likes