Shepherds of Haven (WIP) (DEMO UPDATE: 3 Aug 2021)

With all this heavy breathing, I think @rose-court will eventually go into cardiac arrest.

6 Likes

NOT BEFORE I MEET MA BOI CHASE. I REFUSE TO DIE BEFORE THEN.

totally legit pic of me rn

11 Likes

ok, last joke: my Shepherd’s gonna shepherd them Shepherds into a harem into a legitimate fighting force that will protect the weak.

Back to the game itself.
Feel free to ignore this @rinari if you want to avoid spoiling what may very well be a significant moment in the game, but would we get the option to explain our Words of Power to the other Shepherds?
I recognize that the MC has been a very reserved individual thus far, and for good reason, but once a bond of trust has been established, would we be able to tell them about this so that we aren’t, say, forced into revealing this when using our WoP in a particularly difficult battle?

And would this reveal affect anyone’s relationship toward us? I can’t imagine many would take it in stride, the possibility that someone they know can just…change reality at some point, or perhaps the more terrifying prospect is that they can’t 100% control it.

Would a relationship hit be diminished if the MC reveals it in conversation vs. doing so under duress of battle/circumstance? Or would it actually increase the relationship because, “Wow, MC trusted me with…this…”

Actually, upon further reflection the one who might take it in stride is sweet Shery who might be more focused on the ‘how’ and ‘why’ than the danger, or at least her curiosity would overtake any fear of it. Or I could be getting her character wrong, who knows? lol

6 Likes

How effective are guns against demons? I think they should be less effective against them (since they are not magical) but very effective against human-like foes (since the norms won the war with them easily). Though you could kill the demon easily in the church with a gun so I’m not sure (you didn’t even get hurt if you used a gun)

It is possible that you kill the demon easily with a gun, not so much because of the gun but because of your magic capabilities potentially enhancing said gun. At least that is my opinion anyway. Otherwise, I have a feeling the Norms wouldn’t be that worried about the Endarkened. It would be no different then killing a wolf, dangerous but not something they would need the Shepards for.

isn’t this the biggest plot twist of the year or what :joy:

4 Likes

You can hurt demons with guns, but it requires being at point blank range.

Same with bow and arrow.

Which of course really takes the advantage of this weapons off the table when dealing with demons.

Anyway, I was bothered by my MC being completely ignorant of his cultural heritage when talking to Blade.

Now obviously Blade should know more.

3 Likes

I’m not ready for this! Cries

Actually I’m very curious about which character will be the one to train us in magic. There was an odvious choice for dagger but magic? I have no idea.

Because there are so many options for magic, does that mean we can only recruit one person out of so many?

1 Like

yeah, I found that odd as well, especially given that if you were raised by elves you get a few special snippets with Tallys.

I cannot honestly say that I care for any of the NPCs yet. Well, maybe Caine, he is aborable, but none of the other Shepards. Not yet, at least. I feel it is too soon to grow any kind of attachments yet. But I am rather curious about Blade, though. I quite like the dark, stoic swordsman types. :wink:

@rinari Yeah, like there is nothing suggestive in what you said at all. :wink: I look forward to your updates, then.

Moreso with the bow and arrow though, as you need more room just to use the thing then the revolver type of (hand)gun the mc seems to use in the prologue.
Plus with our less supernatural enemies well we can deal with them Dirty Harry style. :stuck_out_tongue:
It also goes to show revolvers can be plenty effective at close range too. They’re more of a mid-range weapons, as I understand it, anyway. For range we’d need to acquire a (scoped) rifle like Trouble has.

1 Like

Now I need to make a new character that uses guns and acts like Harry lol

Let’s just say that in the pairing with the generally friendly, outgoing , affable and sexy Trouble my mc is most likely not going to be the “nice” cop. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just popping in to share some AMAZING fan art by @terrafallen. It’s given me tons of motivation after my energy on H+H flagged a bit–I’m skipping ahead to write some future chapters and also diving back to the Equalists to change things up! Thank you again, @terrafallen, this was a really lovely surprise! :star_struck:

fanart_terrafallen

41 Likes

[gasp] Happy cake day @rinari!

It’s so good to see that you’re getting so much awesome feedback, and now fanart??? You and your writing deserve every bit of it!. :blush:

May your cake days be long and plentiful!

To the queen of Haven!

8 Likes

Down with the Autarch, however I could easily support @rinari for QUEEN!!!

3 Likes

More fanart by a reader who wishes to remain anonymous! :slight_smile: Thank you again!! It’s Blade and their MC!

And thank you so much, @rose-court and @2xs!!! You’re too kind! :grin: I don’t think I can answer most of your questions at this point, @rose-court, but I will say there will be different points where you have a choice to be open about your past with the Shepherds as a group (not in individual scenes like their day off interactions) or not. Being truthful will not have a negative impact on any Shepherds’ relationship with you unless they hate you already, which is also sadly possible in this game. Waiting until the last moment (because the words of power will become more important to the plot eventually and thus will have to be talked about) will also not turn out terribly negative (I think anyone can understand why you would hide something like that) unless, again, you already have relationships that are at “hated.” Hope that makes sense!

Finally, I’ve changed things around just a bit, but there are reasons why a Ket heritage is not as relevant in Blade’s conversations as an Elven heritage is with Tallys’: the MC’s Ket father does not talk about his past or culture at all, due to having been defeated in a Ket rebellion and having to flee to Drummond’s Point, whereas an Elven-raised MC grew up completely immersed in that culture and more isolated from the outside world. Being raised by the Ket does give you bonuses to physical strength, though, so there are pros and cons!

Edit: Ah, and someone asked this earlier, but there will be a recruitable character who can train with you in magic that shows up later on. It won’t matter what type of Mage you are: spending time with them will increase your general magic skill. No strength trainer though, maybe I’ll have to add in an option to get swoll at the gym on days off and force you to choose. :slight_smile:

23 Likes

:confounded: please don’t tempt me to make a fan art :rofl: my workload of art is still too many atm :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Will saving both Caine and Prihine have impact later on or it’s better to save your words? Also will having Norm or Hunter heritage help you in any way?

1 Like

oh…maybe put a dialoge that vaguely means this in game? to avoid confusion

3 Likes