Halloween Game Jam

Haha, just put a sticky note over that. Out of sight, out of mind.

3 Likes

Daily update; wrote 884 words today, most of it being variations of a particular scene. Not exactly a productive day by any means.

7 Likes

More than I’ve ever written on any day since this thing started, so I’d say it’s productive.

Then again, I’ve hardly written anything at all, so I can’t tell anyone what productive actually is.

And just like that, I’ve upset myself.

8 Likes

The main goal here is to have fun, no matter if you only write a few words or half a novel :hugs:

5 Likes

My writing so far only consisted of thought dumps, whether I liked the idea or its absolute crap as far as I’m concerned, I’ve written it down. This was about a month ago and at first I thought it didn’t seem like much. It was wacky ideas that either made me seem crazy or made me question my creativity.

But now I’m actually thankful I wrote all of that down, I went through it to pick out the pieces I liked. Whether it’s one line or a paragraph, I tried to expand upon it and make something out of it, even if I ended up hating it.

I’m honestly not sure If I’ll be able to share anything on Halloween. But I try not to worry and simply get as much done as I can, while still trying to have fun while doing it. And by having fun I mean going over what I’ve written with a friend of mine and laughing at my own stupidity.

Long story short, forget about the jam as a whole and write whatever comes to mind. Anything can cause you stress if you overthink it enough. So try to stop thinking for a while and write whatever makes you happy, even if it’s not related to the jam itself.

7 Likes

I recommend You share your material anyway, If you don’t feel like participating officially, I can put you in participants that didn’t finish. You or anyone else who thinks that they can not finishing.

But seriously, A small game with 3 or 4 endings it is possible to finish for everyone.

Something I have learned this whole year that I started to participate in contests it is FINISHING IS ALWAYS POSSIBLE it is a question of planning and learning about how many stuff can you add in time. It is a question of practice. If I am learning it all of you can learn from it too.

9 Likes

While I do like the positivity and attitude, I would like to add that there can be things outside of people’s control, that can prevent them from finishing.

Physical and mental health, neurology, lack of free time, lack of motivation, sudden events, or not yet having the experience for how to plan their time. No two people are the same, and we all have different strengths and challenges, when it comes to writing. Our process won’t be the same.

Not finishing is completely FINE, and doesn’t make you a failure, or whatever else your brain might try to convince you of. Don’t burn yourself out, or put too much pressure on yourself. The only thing that will accomplish is to make the creativity part of your brain shut down, making the work even harder.

8 Likes

Exactly, But people sometimes forget that failure is part of the process. I personally have a lot of problems accepting that, yes I am learning so I won’t be successful in a long time. If you do your best and didn’t achieve it but you did your best and working hard on it, you are a winner.

This jam is not aimed at the people who have been published and have success (even if they are welcome, lol :wink: ) It is aimed at people like me. Who are shy to try, or arent fluent in English, or they just never know how to start to write.

7 Likes

I’d have to admit, my problems with mental health has peaked and it became beyond challenging for me to write. I’m sure everyone around me are tired of my constant complaints. I’m just happy that I can have the opportunity to work on something despite me telling myself that I’m never going to accomplish anything. This is something that’s way outside my comfort zone and as much as I hate exiting my personal bubble, I’m still having fun. Haha my therapist would be proud.

If anything happens that doesn’t allow someone to submit their story/game, that’s completely fine. As long as they can say that they tried their best will be more than enough in my book.

6 Likes

I am in a similar situation as @Eiwynn can tell you. I have struggled and still struggling with fear of failure and anxiety. For me, present something public is very difficult and painful. But each time I achieve my goal I am a step further I am open to Pm with you or anyone else who wants to talk. This is a jam and we are all here to help each other out and have fun.

8 Likes

I might have just created an unintentional web that branches out further than I planned.

A friend of mine told me that they are giving me 3 days to explore the idea and see if I can make something out of it, or if I should drop it. So doing the most illogical thing I possibly can. I’m going to attempt to do it in one night. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Put my skeleton fully together! Planned out the main points of every scene! Now all I have to do is (dramatic sigh) write.

8 Likes

I wish I could do that; I am not capable of doing that, I only can write not doing skeletons or schemes. I have the story in my mind if I need to adapt it I know what I want to move or add. But I can’t express that in sketches or all that, I just can write all.

4 Likes

Studying story structure helped me a lot. A lot of people overcomplicate it but it’s basically: set up the world, tear the main character away, let them have some fun, send the villain after them, let the villain win, then have the main character make a change to try again and win.

I don’t use that structure for most of the stuff I write but it’s a good starting point.

7 Likes

Kind of recoved from my funk yesterday, I still won’t be submitting anything, but I’m not really upset about it anymore. Writing probably just isn’t my thing. Which is fine haha.

7 Likes

I really recommend you show the material as a no official part to receive feedback. After all, this is not a contest, this is a Jam. And I know that you worked hard on it.

9 Likes

Wrote 961 words today. And spent two hours obsessing over gosubs. Fascinating thing, completely irrelevant to my current project, but still.

8 Likes

I’m making slow progress. Maybe if I write something everyday, I would be able to show something. But I don’t know if I can finish in time.

7 Likes

Started looking over some original ideas I had after my story went bottoms up but I’ll admit I’m having more fun designing my characters than actually writing my story, I need to refocus my priorities. But writing their profiles I can easily get super carried away with those, Haha.

8 Likes

I would like to purchase this skill please.

4 Likes