Halloween Game Jam

The amount of work I’m getting done has increased considerably. Probably because my brain has convinced me to scratch my first idea and start anew.

Just need to keep a reminder not to bully myself into changing ideas again.

7 Likes

Wrote about 450 words on costume descriptions today while listening to “This is Halloween” on loop. Not bad for a workday.

12 Likes

Pitty we can’t add songs to the wips XD

2 Likes

We can I dis that year ago.

3 Likes

Gaved up, Scrapped, deleted everything, wanted to throw my computer to the wall, step on it. It’s sad but … my heart is broken, I’m probably not cut out for writing, gosh I don’t mean to be depressing but i believe this may not be a phase, as much as I enjoy reading and playing Choicescript games, writing and coding is not for me. Everything is so hard. I wish everyone luck on their stories and look forward to what they come up with. :butterfly::peace:

8 Likes

This is emotional writing… keep it up… Just one sentence a day and you accomplished writing

:two_hearts:

9 Likes

Thank you really… we’ll see :fire:. I feel indecisive, …

7 Likes

Look I have been where you are I have erased hundreds of thousands of words. In the end, It is not worth doing that, you will feel worse and inside your head, you will always think what if I had ended that story.

YOU CAN DO IT. YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE, and you will feel proud when you end up a story. I know that for my own experience. My main goal is to help people starting to write and see that they can do it. It is not needed to start with hundreds of thousands of words wips. Many of us are not prepared for that. But with practice one day we will.

If you need talking about it or you feel pressured you and everyone can pm me.

8 Likes

I keep telling myself I will post my progress update when I have a more impressive word count but I have been saying that for two days. We are chugging along slower than I would like but words are getting written every day.

The actual coded game is a little over 1500 words so far excluding commands. The character creation segment is almost complete minus one short sub scene I’m hoping to finish off tomorrow.

11 Likes

It sure is hard! Writing does not come easily to anyone. I’m definitely far, far ahead of the bell curve when it comes to the sheer volume of material that I write (can’t speak to the quality, but certainly the volume), but let me tell you: every single god damn word HURTS. The process of writing is AGONISING. And it’s agonising for everyone! It is really difficult — you are not wrong, and you are not alone. What makes a prolific writer is the ability to push past that pain and do it anyway!

8 Likes

I think I’m in, :slight_smile: will start working on a short story.

8 Likes

Welcome to our spooky family :hugs:

7 Likes

Beginings are hard and frustrating. We have great ideas, but we want to run before we learn how to walk. Go easy, step by step. Just look at the improvements that you have already done. Just sitting in front of a white sheet is a challenge. You should be proud of what you have already achieve.

6 Likes

I sent you a PM asking about a thread :no_mouth:

2 Likes

So on the start of September, I began blindly writing for this Jam, and I managed to think of a story that I actually see finishing really soon. It can be tedious, but god it’s worth it. I think now I’m halfway done—with the first draft at least, and I’m genuinely happy. Now I’m on the oh-god-it’s-horrible-and-i-dont-know-what-to-write-next phase so I’m trying to power through.

And I also really want to write the climax now. Right now, I’m just basically setting more scenes for buildup and “hidden” clues, but I want to write it now. But I think it’ll all get messed up if I do that so I have to be patient. Damn, I want to see weird people doing stuff, I want panic, I want to see the blood now!!!
AAAA

9 Likes

You are on a good track :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Finished the flavor text for the hats. It’s too splintered to really get a wordcount for, but it’s progress. Now there’s only the buckets/pillow cases/candy collection things left and then comes the hard part of writing actual story content :no_mouth: Today’s loop was “Spooky Scary Skeletons” dance remix, just because.

(Does anyone know other Halloween themed songs? I only know these two :joy:)

5 Likes

Try the Monster Mash

2 Likes

Thriller video clip is pure Halloween for me… That and The Lullaby song and video by The Cure

7 Likes

Okay, I’ve been making notes and my computer has finally decided to play nice again, so I’ve got back to work writing. Got a solid idea in my head and I’m sticking to that now! (it only took a few weeks…)

5 Likes