Guns of Infinity

low-fantasy
gender-locked-male

So what do you guys think? Will we end up commanding an infantry brigade or return to the post as a Lt.-colonel, or other post?

At the current stage we really have no way of knowing.

Can’t disagree with you on this anymore.

We don’t even have a regimental command yet. It’s hard to tell when we will actually ‘unlock’ that, or what will come afterward.

The only regimental command we had on the field was at 2K commanding the Royal Dragoons only. But that was way too short for a normal command, even for a brevet rank…
Somehow I might imagine that we might end up commanding a depleted 5th with Hartigan and holding the flank of the entire army.

A rebellion could work

By a lot more risk do you mean guaranteed failure? Because among the people who would absolutely never support you are Cunaris and Katarina at the very least. Plus the people who actually have a legitimate claim to the throne…

Who you know, supporting is a lot less risky and has a lot greater rewards than helping the MC. Plus they would be supporting legitimate authority which actually means a lot more than you think.

As Lotus said… what they’d gain is a country in the middle of a civil war with all the Dukes being way more than happy to try and take power for themselves. Why do you think people would support a poor Baron with barely any troops over a Duke? Or a group of Dukes who are trying to put legitimate authority back on the throne?

So even if you do win, you’d end up losing everything very quickly.

Supporting the MC in a revolt is not risk for great reward. It’s literal suicide.

EDIT: Actually I got a question… why would people follow the MC? He has no legitimate claim to the throne. He is a hero, sure. But uhh… he is one among many and there are many who are more famous and powerful than he is.

So.,… what exactly makes him special in your eyes? I don’t understand.

For once again, @Daniel_Koselka, a rebellion will very unlikely to happen unless you come from a prestigious and powerful background as a Duke or one of the members of the privy council. A Baron with a house that is gravely in debt who starts a rebellion will 90% certainly backfire.

Honestly I’m not sure even a Duke trying out a rebellion would be all that successful… A baron even less so.

It seems like the best way (of the options so far, so not counting people we haven’t actually met) to get power and money involves hoping that being Katarina’s Bond Boy is the same thing as someone she might actually help.

No one said all intimate relationship = influence situations were ones you could be open about.

You could also kidnap the king and some other nobles demand a ransom which you would then use to hire mercenaries or buy troop. You would have to flee the country but it only requires 100 or so men

How… exactly do you expect to kidnap the king? Because the MC has nowhere near enough forces to fight the guards. I mean cmon our house guard is probably like 2 old guys with muskets that don’t work.

Yeah, But wish you good luck getting through the Grenadiers.

Also for the first rebellion none of the loyal dukes would risk fighting you when you have the king and any other nobles you captured prisoners it would allow some dukes to try and attack you but dukes like cunaris knowing you would kill the king then flee would try and stop them

You have an awful lot of confidence in the King’s security being extremely lax.

And no, if you capture the king, people will try to fight you to get him back. A dead king just makes you a regicide as well as a rebel, which is is not really good for you.

You would not need to fight your way through a handful of your vestments and you grab the king and the grenadiers would not counterattack giving you time to escape. Do it at a banquet and then you could kidnap others to

Well yeah that comes after the quite frankly impossible task of winning a battle against the Grenadiers with forces that amount to a bunk of poor peasants and a houseguard that is probably about as well trained as said peasants.

You do know the King is you know… guarded so well that I’d imagine a Duke would have a difficult time achieving this? Yet you think 1 baron can? If it was this easy literally everyone would do this.

I’m also quite sure the king will kick our arse if you try to capture him at a banquet. You’d also be surrounded and killed the first chance someone gets. Do you honestly think the king would even let you get that close?

Why would they suspect someone who is on the rise and has the king’s favour they certainly would not suspect something so bold in the middle of a banquet during which there would only be a couple of men in the room. Most would be outside watching for external threats

He invited you to speak with him in private once before didn’t he and once you got a pistol to his head there is nothing he couldndo

Not vestment best men