Guns of Infinity

low-fantasy
gender-locked-male

A lot like the US, basically, where most of our debt is owed to private citizens but there’s a smaller but still substantial amount of foreign debt we’ll probably never pay off.

And after playing Endless Space for hours, I feel like “Takaran Banking” should be a faction trait…

Kian does not have a debt.

10 crowns is still pretty exorbitant (about $4250 US) for a weapon which is ultimately disposable, and most militaries cannot afford that sort of cost for a standard-issue weapon, and if a military could, then the increased demand would probably cause the price to increase tenfold.

Ultimately, as baneruned artifacts, dragonpearls still have to be made in a chantry by a Knightly Order (at least in the Northern Kingdoms), and that’s a process which could half a dozen banecasters hours, if not days.

The Takarans, on the other hand, do use dragonlocks as standard-issue, but they not only have a massive military budget, but universal banecasting.

Huh, they must be financial wizards if their kings are Bourbons and they don’t have debt. Lemme clarify, does the house of Zi’enne have debt?

Nope.
While they have the 18th century House of Bourbon’s spending habits, they also have the 18th century House of Aisin Gioro’s trade balance.

Who are Tierra’s most valued trading partners? I’m certain we can scratch Antar off that list, and Kian is obviously the main breadbasket after the war.

Okay, so how is their tax base structured? Now I’m very curious because if they have a large trade income base it can probably support Imperial China’s taxation policies.

Kian and Takara, with Mersdon and Butea being distant third and fourth now that Antar’s no longer selling.

Each of the Magistrate Houses tax their own territory and sends a cut to the House of Zi’enne, which in turn maintains the Imperial Banner Army and enforces/collects trade tariffs with the fleet similarly funded by these tithes. Most of that money is ploughed back into the fleet and army, but a substantial surplus goes into the Zi’enne war chest, used to pay for military operations, and aid to ailing Magistrate Houses (assuming they’ve been deemed sufficiently loyal).

The House of Zi’enne levies no taxes on its own territory, which naturally attracts the shipping houses which do bring in tariffs.

Knowing that Takara actually struggles with some level of debt and Kian doesn’t makes me a bit uneasy about the possible unipolarity the Northern Kingdoms are trending towards.

How large is the Imperial Banner Army? And do the Magistrate Houses have the right to muster troops, or is that right reserved by the Emperor?

The Imperial Banner Army is the hard core of the Kian forces, but the bulk is made up of the armies of the Magistrate Houses, since their individual fiefdoms are technically mobilisation districts, to be activated in time of war.

When was the last time they mobilised? There had to have been a few near-wars between Takara and Kian in the last few centuries.

The main weakness of the Kian system is that it takes months, if not years to fully mobilise, and basically no circumstance short of full-scale war can justify that level of effort and expenditure.

Pull a Russia, I want you to be on 2/3 combat readiness.

Imperial Generals scratch their heads trying to figure out what that means.

i mostly did that factoring do determine any possible benefits to choosing dragon locks in sabers. the only other one i thought of was the dragon pearl used as a striker for more efficient gun design for specialty units Able to afford it. but that one had a lot of conjecture as the new gun design might not work, and even if it did you wouldn’t need to have bought 40 of them so you would have the familiarity necessary (officers don’t need to use the same equipment as the enlisted). as it stands now there is literally no benefit to buying it after sabers has concluded.

And the Imperial Banner army itself? Are they kept fully mobilized during peacetime?

If not, how does Kian typically deal with the various brush wars, both foreign and domestic, that surely pop up from time to time?

That’s not strictly true…

The Imperial Banner Army is always at full readiness, but the Kian prefer to use soft power to keep their allies in line. Likewise, they prefer to let those allies deal with their own problems, supplying financial aid and advisors if necessary, but very rarely committing their own ships and troops.

Sure if you go east in guns there is a check but if you go north there isn’t one in the game especially when compared to the rune-gun. with i think 4 checks or so. and again for gun development in lords possibly but unsubstantiated.i think i would be cool if it became used in lords as it could really mess with the established builds.(everyone goes for the rune gun for +15 soldiering myself included).

Also thank you for your answers to my questions it is much appreciated

I’m not saying this is common, but as one of the regulars, I prefer giving Campos the runegun to the soldiering bonus.

YMMV and all, of course, I’m just saying that I think the “established builds” might be less than 100% “everyone picks the runegun for themselves”.

i was more saying i haven’t seen people go for the dragon locks in general due to it’s low return for 500 gold and no rune gun.

Well, the dragonlocks are a tracked stat so it’s possible that decision could come into play in Lords.

My MC bought the dragonlocks for his men because he genuinely wanted them to have the best weapons available as he thought it would increase their (and his) chance of survival.

Outside of headcanon, the decision does give you +15 to morale, +15 to loyalty, +10 to discipline, and +8 to rep, which are pretty nice stat boosts for those who look to avoid The Wrath of Carrecort. Those increases have the potential to lift your troop stats and rep to a higher threshold going into Guns (which could help you succeed in some of the early decisions, such as sending your men after the partisans), so I wouldn’t classify buying the dragonlocks as a total waste.

Of course, I usually go for the rune gun in my other playthroughs. :slight_smile: