Guns of Infinity

low-fantasy
gender-locked-male

Ha, that’s great.

What are the currency specifics again?

Towers to Gryphons?

12 Towers to a Crown, 20 Pence to a Tower.

Pre-decimalised British currency, more or less.

Can you go into any detail about Weathern’s economic philosophy? I know you probably want to keep certain things close to your chest but I am curious to see what he thinks in broad strokes about fiscal policy and the like.

He’s what most people these days would call a “deficit hawk”.
In his understanding, Tierra’s wealth is based on Tierra’s stability, and stability is based on having enough money to throw around in emergencies while being beholden to as few lenders as possible. If the crown spends itself into a hole, the simple fact that other people control the debt renders the realm less stable and the crown beholden to other interests, foreign and domestic. That could lead onto a whole bunch of knock-on effects like the debasement of currency (to stave off bankruptcy) or the enactment of unwise foreign policy (to secure more short-term wealth).

So long story short, Weathern is very scared of debt. Needless to say, he hasn’t gotten much sleep in the past ten years.

cool average line soldier about 1 crown and 3 towers for simplicity in my calculations
while the specialty units payed around 2 crown and 6 towers (base some more others less)
i ask for the reasons of the dragonpearl.

Sound philosophy so long as “crisis” spending extends to a bad economy…

Which also explains why he also doesn’t want to issue any form of bonds right?

“The Economy” as an abstract concept doesn’t exist yet. If anything, he’ll tighten spending to match dropping revenues.

Exactly, especially since it means dropping net revenues in the long term.

Which fits his mentality of not wanting to have short term cash when it can deprive him of long term incomes and also allow foreigners to own the Tierran public debt. So he’s an austerity guy in a sense?

In that sense? Yeah. If nothing else, he sees the actual underlying forces behind tax revenue increases and decreases as mostly unalterable by government intervention, and sees the Exchequer’s job as cutting and saving in line with the rising and ebbing of the economic tide.

I have to wonder at how much the lever of exchequer expenditure actually matters in a country like Tierra. The government is very small in modern terms and very decentralized.

So he’s basically what would have been a laissez-faire economic proponent in our world in the sense that he doesn’t feel that it is the government’s job to step in and interfere with the economy combined with someone who believes in austerity spending.

I think he doesn’t know what an “economy” is. He sees the Exchequer like he does his own house finances. It has no special status and follows no special rules other than those of the Saints and his granny…

It’s not that he doesn’t feel that it’s the government’s job, but that the Tierran state is very limited by modern standards (as @cascat07 points out) and there’s very little it can do to intervene aside from levying taxes to wring out some short-term revenue. Weathern’s response to this is simply to ride out the wave because in his conception of government, a state capable of “reversing the tide” is so pervasive and centralised as to be fantastical.

In modern terms, he’d see modern levels of government intervention in the economy as the equivalent of the “fully automated luxury gay space communism” meme.

So now I’m curious, how does Takara deal with their public debt? Do they pretend it doesn’t exist and keep spending a la the US? Or did they start the last war on a gold currency, blew it up and then switched to a silver?

Considering Tierra’s gotten to the point that debt is unavoidable, it would probably be a good idea to shift the debt as much as possible to domestic creditors through things like the issuing of bonds and securities. Better that Tierran citizens have a death-grip on the fiscal future of the nation as opposed to, say, Takara.

Actually selling those bonds is a challenge, but hey: modern propoganda techniques spawned in countries mired in debt and instability, they can pop up in Tierra.

Domestic loans, usually. Takara has a central banking system (the Richstaler is a fiat currency), and the idea is to build credit with domestic lenders by paying back interest on the national debt. Takara also uses its puppets as piggybanks in that sense, all-but forcing their “valued allies” to buy their debt with the full knowledge that Takara could unilaterally cancel it whenever they damn well please.

Does Kian have a debt? Or did they just write it off when they killed the dynasties before them?

“You owed the money to the previous dynasties which no longer exist… thus their debts died with them. Now I need to take out a loan to pay for this awesome coronation and instalment of my family on the Imperial throne. Merci.”

i assume the cost of one dragon pearl is 12.5 crowns (500 crown cost for 40 dragon-locks)minus cost of the gun it is placed in (master crafted with Callindrian steel so i would assume minimum of 2.5 crowns). as a result a replacement for flint is available which negates the need for dry gunpowder, and primer. at the cost of 10 crowns initial investment for a dragonpearl it does not seem exorbitant for the special units (dragoons, grenadiers, highlanders,and experimentals). especially as it allows for double rate of fire and amphibious ops. is there a reason dragon locks are not as widely used?

It’s the secret to the Civilization “economic victory”…Takara’s tax on the world…