Guns of Infinity

gender-locked-male
multi-part
low-fantasy

Personally of all the military memoirs I have read (from crazy British officer to crazy German officer to crazy Marine officer) the most effective are those that speak about incredible events as if they were discussing the weather. Sometimes like in “Happy Odyssey” even the events that were revealed were less crazy that real life! He didn’t even talk about how he won his VC or the fact that his wife existed, that she was a Countess, and that she was wounded in a German strafing run in Poland!

I’m noticing a trend here. Two, actually.

In the case of memoir names:
From Impoverished to Important: A Dragoon’s Tale
Who the Bloody Martyr are You?: The Exploits of {firstname} d’al {lastname}
In Glass Castles: Blogia to Kharangia and Beyond

There was a book I read about a Lieutenant’s experiences in pre-Tet Vietnam that had incredible weather imagery - I don’t remember the name of it but it was a late 70’s early 80’s novel.

How about this: My Life In The Dozen Years War As A Green Dragoon

The best way to write them would be as a manual of sorts about what worked and what didn’t in a mostly neutral tone, depicting war as it really is, not glorifying it but also not making it sound more horrible then it actually was (from an officer’s pov and a cavalry one at that, so we hardly had it the worst during the war anyway.)
It would mainly focus on my mc best understanding of tactics, strategy and logistics and how they all combined in practice.
So I guess it is mostly about the practical applications of bluff, deception and misdirection during warfare as a mixed cavalry/infantry officer and commander.

My mc would probably pay only cursory attention, if he pays any at all to the balls and his own awards, the only ones he probably cannot avoid mentioning is his command of that forlorn hope and the one he is most fond of, even if it is the least of them all, being the one he got for the implementation of his own cunning plan fairly early on in the war.

He may later write about more over the top officers too, but those are more likely to be made up characters for works of bodice ripping fiction.

My canon MC’s favourite scene was probably when his troops, Cassius and Katarina happened upon the field of Blogia and he swore his men to vengeance. Thus, the title of his memoirs would be something like…

Unmarked Graves in Enemy Lands - How the Royal Dragoons fought, bled and died for your freedom

Soil, Anointed with the Blood of our Heroes - The lays of Antar

These Dozen Years Will Never End - Why the fight against the Antari is not yet over.

Could always just call it Mein Kampf I guess.

I think it’s better to write them first and foremost as an accurate historical document. “This is what happened, as I saw it. Make of it what you will.”

Uh… no. Just no.

Accurate. Incredibly so.

I agree, though definitely a historical document with the MC’s personal opinion and perspective, and how it evolves over time.
Say it also shows how slowly more cynical the MC gets after witnessing Blogia and Kharangia, or how ruthless or sympathetic they got with the enlisted and Antari serfs.

The memoirs for a 14 year old MC would probably be “Lost Innocence: An Insight to the Dozen Years War”.

Well if he lost nearly everyone he knew at Blogia maybe it can called: Bury my heart at the fields of Blogia.

I’m not sure all the burial and grave imagery works for Tierra since they cremate their dead. Burial is basically a form of mutilation.

maybe this title would be the best:
The Dozen Years War: My Life As The King’s Green Dragoon.

I don’t think we’re going to be the only impoverished Baneblooded officer trying to make some quick cash by selling his memoirs. We need to stand out somehow.

Oh yeah, something like: The Green Dragoon With The Golden Spur.

Well if we give any accounts about RTI actions, expect half the book to be solid black bars, and the title to be:

The [REDACTED], an [EXPUNGED]

The chapter for 10A would either be gone entirely, or black boxes besides a single phrase:

At least the weather was nice that day.

Not quite. I’m sure we could still describe the details of the assault. Just leave out why we were actually there (or make up a reason, and say we didn’t want Khorobirit to have a place to retreat to after Kharangia), and don’t mention the presence of either his wife or his daughter.

I dunno. I feel like the fact that we even had a mission to Januszkovil at a time when the greatest mass of the enemy is in Kharangia would be seen as odd without a reason, and the fact that we took the daughter of Leoniscourt’s Earl and the Duke of Warburton with us might be seen as “potentially sensitive information” by the paranoid eye of RTI.

Otherwise, we are a small force of mixed troops engaging an equally small force of Church Hussars, in an engagement a long way east of the front, raiding a castle because… I dunno, and having several of the most influential people in the realm witness it, because… I dunno.

Well why don’t we have a discuss on this: What kind of industries that you would start in your family’s estate if you’re: Cunarian? Aetorian? Wulframite? Son of the Salt Coast?

The perfect time to seize an impenetrable fortress is when the majority of the enemy is away. As I said in the previous comment, you could just say the intent was to deny Khorobirit a place to retreat after Kharangia, preventing it from becoming a problem later.

Emile wasn’t there. As for Katarina, leave her presence out.

Didn’t we just discuss this not too long ago?

In Blaylock’s second duel, she is there for him though.

If that is a direct quote, I will consider that another hint in favour of Garret being the crossdressing dragoon. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, names for our memoirs:
Achtung - Church Hussars!
There and Back Again: A Dragoon’s Tale
[RANK] [LASTNAME] or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The War/Carbine/Sabre/RTI/Artillery