Guns of Infinity

gender-locked-male
multi-part
low-fantasy

I can only imagine how bad GS was in the start. If things were this bad in the battalion level, I can only imagine that it was a disaster for Grenadier Square who didn’t have to provision, equip, and pay forces at this level since probably Alaric’s War right? Or was it the Unification Wars?

Also, was the recruitment of men the normal wandering Sergeant in the countryside offering men steady pay and a bed?

Not necessarily. Grenadier Square does have to manage the Grenadiers, Highlanders, Dragoons, Cuirassiers, Lancers, and three full regiments of Marines in peacetime. That’s the professional core of 5000 men Eckharts mentions in her report. They do have experience in administering those sorts of numbers, but the problem is they don’t have experience doing that in the middle of a war, while also raising, administering and provisioning 30 000 other fighting men, all at the end of a 1000 km supply line.

Of course, there were people who did know how to provision tens of thousands of fighting men hundreds of kilometres from their home bases: the Royal Tierran Navy, and you can bet that Wulfram borrowed heavily from Admiralty House’s staff to keep his army from imploding in the early war.

More like a sergeant and a dozen or so men in a recruiting party, yeah. Most regiments had one battalion in Antar and another recruiting men at home.

I noticed quite a few barons where Brigadier General’s how did they land the appointmen t:confused: I understand Dukes the Earls and even the Vicounts…but Baron?

@Cataphrak Given how Antari armies appear to be raised and organized, did their leaders have any real professional staff for maintaining thousands of men in the field?

I mean, maintaining a vast estate has to count as some kind of administration experience, even if only “finding people to do the boring bits so I don’t have to” practice, but it seems like the peasant levies would be basically expected to fend for themselves on just about everything.

I just want to make sure I’m understanding this, the majority of the problem is that while the desk officers in Grenadier Square knew what they were doing in raising and managing large bodies (not to the extent of the Expeditionary Force, but enough to handle a few thousand) men and were supported by the clerks in the Admiralty House, the officers commanding these battalions and brigades on the field had no idea how to handle their inflated commands? Namely how to coordinate 500-600 men in battle then a few thousand men respectively? This is a hell of a learning curve and I’m glad that when we finally got a chance at regimental command that the senior commanders actually learned from earlier lessons and applied what they learned.

Also for the sake of clarification I was wondering, was Wulfram put in charge of the Expeditionary Force after Noringia, or did he direct the storming then got confirmed into that roll formally as the head of the Expeditionary Force.

Were they just looking for volunteers or did they forcibly conscripted too or was the conscription done in more a shady way?

A lot of those barons have connections at court, or are acting as agents for others. There are also some rather wealthy barons who are able to maintain a few dozen armed men.

Not usually. Levies are maintained the same way large estates are, with serfs directly overseen by freeholder factotums, who may, in turn, be overseen by untitled or minor banebloods working for a major lord.

Pretty much. This was also heavily exacerbated by the fact that most of these regiments weren’t homogenous forces, but a patchwork of private armies with their own traditions, procedures, and idiosyncrasies.

Wulfram was there at Noringia. He was, in fact, one of the first senior officers through the breach. Myopic and pig-headed he might have been, but nobody could doubt Wulfram’s bravery.

It really depended on the sergeant. Early in the war, there were more than enough willing volunteers. As the war progressed, recruiting parties started indulging in some shady practises. By the time conscription was authorised, they’d often just march into town and kidnap anyone who didn’t look like they’d be missed.

Any examples? Like, getting people drunk and convincing them to sign on? Or something worse than that?

Getting prospective recruits drunk (and/or drugging their drinks) is pretty basic. Simply dragging someone off and forcing them to swear they “volunteered”, or getting someone in debt with a set of rigged dice before offering the choice of debtor’s prison or the army happen as well.

this sounds like this could be a darkly comedic game as a recruiting sergeant. Their background could be what dumb reason that got him into the army and the horror let say famous Death Charge.
It’s a great example of becoming the monster in my opinion of a game.

Any three of them could be us in the next War, or a combination of all three. So acting in Place of are Colonel and gain the appointment if we have political capital or get close to the powers in court we could gain it or how have a large house guard if all three pretty much hold speaking of what is considered wealthy to very wealthy Baron and what’s the midtling income for the rest of them.

The serving men serving 20 years and completely different military cultures outside of killing. That lack of uniformity must put a hot mess.

Okay, so since we’ve discussed the lengths that the recruiters will go to find more men, what length will the actual recruits go to in order to avoid being conscripted?

How are the relations between Grenadier Square and the Admiralty now?
I can imagine a lot of manpower, money, glory and influence, normally reserved for the Navy, have now gone to the Army.

I’m pretty sure they are ticked off at that the King decided to force Marines and Sailors into serving as infantry.

Anyways, slightly unrelated, but I wonder if Commodre Walken and former Lieutenant Lewes are going to become the faces of the Baneless revolution?

#VoteLewes614

Seriously though, one is a baneless naval officer who managed to obtain an unusually high rank for his background, while the other is among the first baneless to serve as an officer in the army (even if it is only a brevet.) I recall Cataphrak mentioning that the main reason the baneless middle class has been holding back is because the Banebloods have biological evidence that they are superior… but men like Walken and Lewes have proven that some Baneless can do the job just as well.

(I know Cazarosta also counts as a baneless, but he’s deathborn so I doubt the movement is going to want to be associated with him.)

It depends on the recruiting party. Generally, the best bet is to just hide.

The Admiralty has the distinct impression the King’s Army is getting too big for its boots. Just because it wins one war (with the Navy’s copious support, of course) doesn’t mean they can pretend like they’re going to be the senior service going on forward.

@Cataphrak

Wouldn’t it be interesting if the ship the MC is coming home on is commanded by Walken?

Are they going to mothball ships now on top of army cuts? Or is that just not a thing for Tierra?

Some ships will get mothballed (usually the heavier ones) but the lighter ships will generally go back to commerce protection duties or be on active reserve with a reduced peacetime complement.

@Cataphrak, the Regiments of Foot had Shakos with the regimental number stamped on the badge right? Were there any battle honours or distinct uniform pieces for units that were founded and participated during one of the Wars of Unification?

Seems unlikely. While it would be nice way to leave Antar, I imagine a commodre has more important duties than troop transport. Or at the very least, more important people to transport. Do note that you are the last ship. Plus, it would also be a massive coincidence.

About the ship, though: Wil there be an option to work on our memoirs while on board?

Also, I imagine that prior to conscription being authorized, outright thuggery was usually frowned on if done where anyone could see it.

(I know that in OTL 1700s, there were a lot of local militias raised to resist press-gangs by force of arms, both in England and the Colonies.)