Guns of Infinity

gender-locked-male
multi-part
low-fantasy

Pretty much this. In all the larger scale battles, we’re just a footnote. Havenport, Cunaris, and The King receive the most credit because they’re the ones who were smart enough to put us in those positions in the first place.

A newspaper isn’t going to say “Lieutenant-Colonel (player name here) personally led the Dragoon Regiment during the Battle of Second Kharangia, where they served on reserve duty and provided much-needed reinforcement for Duke Cunaris’s brigade on the army’s right flank and rescued numerous regiments from near-destruction.” Unless it is an article that specifically focuses on the Dragoons.

As a general overview of the battle, it’s more likely to say: “Duke Havenport placed the Dragoons on reserve duty to reinforce Duke Cunaris’s bridgade on the Army’s right flank.” Then go on to describe where Duke Havenport stationed the next regiment, and what their role was during the battle, because there were so many participants that you can’t adequately cover everyone.

So, I’ve done some pondering on why Havenport had the Dragoons follow the Highlanders in the Battle of 1K.

My conclusion:

He didn’t put us there because we were expendable. Because we’re not. We’re cavalry and light infantry. The men need to be trained and provided horses, and taught to fire in volley. Not only that, we are provided different guns and ammunition from the rest of the army. We’re too expensive to waste. The Line Infantry are the expendable ones.

But I also don’t think he put us there because he believed the regiment was special. He strikes me as too pragmatic for that.

I think he put us there because our tactics were a sharp contrast to the Highlanders. They charge in, we provide cover fire. After all, the best way to use the Dragoons during the battle is to assign them side jobs like guarding flanks, clearing walls, and guiding reinforcements, while the Highlanders serve as meatshields. One of the worst things you can do in that battle is order your men to participate in the main attack.

I tend to disagree I think Havenport slots Dragoons second because they were the most expendable to him personally. First, there was a good chance get transferred out of the Kharinga after the battle. Second, if Mickey K lays seize to Kharinga and the Dragoons are pretty useless in defense manning the city walls. Third, wouldn’t make better sense to have an infantry regiment with bayonets to go in second?

Pauly

There are kings and then there are Emperors … @Cataphrak loves my infatuation with being the founder of an Imperial dynasty. Just saying :slight_smile:

Exactly - our reputation is entwined to the whole, deserved or not. Caz’s isn’t - the dangerous thing is both he and his sister knows this and depending on your relationships to them you better be aware of this.

I’d argue they are still in pre-Tripoli Marine ethos and stature whereas the Dragoons have swiped the Tripoli mythological characteristics and ethos.

Its not like the Army flyboys of WW2 … or even WW1 US … the difference being the technology and new warfare are not yet here. ymmv.

Actually, you would get a mention because you are the commanding officer of the Royal Dragoons while Cunaris is commanding the Brigade. As demonstrated clearly by the fact that Havenport relinquished command of his Highlanders to Lord Marcus and probably took up a position to oversee the whole battle. Also if you look at the Order of Battle, https://pastebin.com/utZau0MM. You’ll note that Havenport doesn’t command his own brigade as well, which means that his sole attention is on the battlefield, not commanding his regiment, brigade, and army at the same time.

So it would probably be, “Under the command of Sir Bryce d’al Kaldwin, (Acting) Lieutenant-Colonel of Royal Dragoons, acting in reserve to His Grace the Duke of Cunaris, General-of-Brigade of the Right Brigade and Regimental Colonel of the Royal Dragoons, personally led his command into the teeth of an Antari brigade or led his men to reinforce the Experimental Corps and fought off Antari Church Hussars.”

The Dragoons are your command, they divided it after Blogia to prevent the disaster that unfolded when Wulfram died.

They learned that having a Regimental Commander, Brigade Commander, and Lieutenant-General being the same person and dying tends to be catastrophic to an Army’s High Command.

Your first point: That shouldn’t matter. Havenport should be capable of seeing the big picture. He should also know that getting a unique and valuable regiment killed off isn’t good for his reputation or Tierra’s military situation as a whole.

Your second point: They aren’t useless. They use carbines, which are more accurate than muskets, so if you put them on the wall they can get lots of kills. Outside of direct battle, they can be used to go on patrols or hunt partisans. Also, do keep in mind that the more prestigious cavalry units are with the King, so chances are the Dragoons are the best cavalry force he has on hand.

Your third point: No, you send those guys in first. That’s what Havenport did with the Highlanders. Then you send the quick and accurate sharpshooters to reinforce them, guard their flanks, provide cover fire, and perform non-combat tasks (guiding reinforcements) so Marcus doesn’t have to worry about them and can commit his command entirely to direct fighting, which is what the Highlanders excel at.

Speaking of Lord Marcus, also remember that Havenport is sending you in to reinforce his brother and his own regiment (which consists entirely of pre-trained soldiers who are loyal to his clan, so if it gets slaughtered that means he has less manpower to keep the rival clans in line back home.) If he thought the Dragoons weren’t up to the task, then why would he risk his brother, his regiment, and his duchy’s security just to give them a position they weren’t even well-suited for to begin with?

Reads ‘Lieutenant-Colonel Neille’

Now I’m hoping there’s going to be a duel with Carrecourt, and after we beat him and accept his surrender, we turn and walk away. Carrecourt then tries to stab us from behind, but Neille appears out of nowhere and beats the shit out of him. Then makes a comment based on how many times he has saved us before, and walks away. Then the next time we see him, he’s Colonel of the Highlanders and is bailing us out of another situation.

Nope, that’s the House Guard of the Havenports, the highest he could get is Lieutenant-Colonel. Unless Havenport doesn’t give the Regimental Colonel rank to Lord Marcus, which I’m sure would create problems in itself. Like the highest we can get in the Dragoons unless we convince the King to give us the Colonelcy is Lieutenant-Colonel.

Hey @Cataphrak, His Tierran Majesty is Colonel-in-Chief right? So he can technically appoint someone else as Regimental Colonel correct?

I know that, but a man can dream.

Anyways, as for us becoming Colonel of the Dragoons… I feel it’s more likely that the King will just create another Dragoon Regiment, and we’ll be selected to lead it due to our rank and experience. Maybe we’ll even get to transfer one of our old buddies (Caz, Renard, Sandoral, Blaylock, Garret) to be our Lieutenant-Colonel in the new regiment?

Perhaps Garret will use his blackmail thing on us to get the promotion if we captured Khoro’s daughter as a disgraced MC. And maybe Caz will feel slighted if he isn’t chosen (alternatively, taking him in will likely cause a massive rep loss, which will be our incentive to choose one of the others instead.) Perhaps Renard won’t be an option at all, and that is how mentoring him will backfire?

But this is all speculation.

If he had someone with a couple thousand crown (at least) in annual income, and wanted to piss off the House of Findlay forever, yes.

Cataphrak, when a new regiment is formed, how do they deal with the lack of senior officers? Do they transfer them from other regiments? Are commissions open for anyone to buy regardless of seniority if they have the money?

Kind of. With the Houseguard system, a new regiment is stood up using existing houseguards as the core. That means the ones who provide the most troops or have the most senior titles take the top slots. The rest are filled in via open purchase. So long as you’re a baneblood with the money, and the legal authority (either your own, or your head of house) to sign a binding contract, you’re in.

Like Welles for instance and the 5th of Foot?

Isn’t Welles set to inherit the entire regiment if female officers become a thing?

Speaking of how much would it add to are social Prestige and possible political Capital if we are up founder and a Grandmaster knighyly Order?

@Cataphrak,

In the regiments of foot before the start of the war, how many men in them would actually have some semblance of knowledge in what they are doing? I’d imagine the only people who would be fully trained and ready would be the Colonel of the Regiment’s House Guard and a few other conscientious officers. But, I’d imagine that the majority of the regiment’s strength was filled with volunteers who were given a musket and marched on a parade ground a few times right?

Houseguards eligible for service are generally drilled to a standard. It isn’t necessarily a high standard from where we’re sitting, but they could march and fight, and most importantly, they were familiar with marching and (mock) fighting among the men next to them.

Remember that Houseguards (especially the ones belonging to richer houses) are effectively full-time private security, which means many are trained by employers who literally believe that their life might one day depend on their quality.

I expect the more challenging aspect is glomming that organization into an army, particularly an expeditionary one, rather than burnishing the skills of the individual fighting men.

That’s what I was wondering, because Infantry Brigades are 720 men on paper so I was curious on the strength of the brigades that stormed Noringia. Because I’d be surprised if all the senior officers in charge of the companies had their companies at full strength when they were ordered to seize Noringia.

A battalion at its paper strength is about as rare as Unicron (as in, they only exist in toy form). Even without organisational issues, a battalion loses men from disease, desertion, guys just getting lost, and accidents. The battalions that stormed Noringia were probably about 75% of the strength they could muster back home.

Of course, I think the greater organisational issue was the fact that each Houseguard regiment was made up of a conglomeration of individual platoon and company-sized units, which means that even the most senior officers and their aides would only have experience administering, leading, and supplying a force of maybe 60-70 men (remember that Tierran infantry companies are smaller than modern ones). Add to the fact that some of these part-time officers could be expected to command brigades (in the early war, this meant oversized monstrosities of 7 or 8 battalions) and you’re going to have some real issues.