Guns of Infinity

gender-locked-male
multi-part
low-fantasy

Not necessarily. You can buy offices, but the normal advancement track remains open to the customary varieties of patronage, not just nepotism.

I think it’s better to just forgive Cunaris’s debt. He is a valuable political ally, and he and his descendants will remember your generosity. What happens if the crown decides to call in Leoniscourt’s debt? We’ll need as much support as we can muster to prevent that from happening.

Also he’s your regimental commander. You don’t want him skimping on costs because he can’t pay or is unwilling to acquire more debt. He doesn’t seem like the type to do that, but every person has their breaking point.

Caius and Kat might disapprove, though.

Political dead?

My demands seems reasonable, his eldest son marry my sister and I forgive part of his debt. He lets me rent lands to grow cash crops and again forgive some debt plus share some of the profit. Let me use a few dragoons for personal use and lets start a shipping company together.

Here’s the thing.

If he likes you, and you’re the Earl of Leoniscourt, I don’t see why you would have to make demands in the first place. He would have no reason to object to a marriage alliance - you’re powerful, you’re capable, he was your mentor of sorts, and his son may already view you as an older brother.

If you make demands, he will resent you and can discard you as an ally once the debt is clear.

My only concrete condition for clearing the debt would be keeping Caz in the regiment.

Edit: Also, why would you need to borrow Dragoons when you’re wealthy enough to maintain a massive houseguard or hire armies of mercs and thugs? You could easily afford your own regiment.

Because even if we have a good relationship he likely won’t agree to marry his heir to the sister of a upstart and formerly poor baron. He might have plans for his heir and Cunaris be easier to work with after we twist his arm.

Might have to be rough with him but after that we can try to get along. We could established a great alliance he be the political guy and I the muscle. For instance we can form a shipping company to sell cash crops I grow on his lands and at same time we can tap into the grain market by becoming a middleman and importing the grain. And have the dragoons deliver/ guard the foodstuffs to their destinations.

Also have Kat teach the sister so she be able to control Renard.

[quote=“Lancer, post:44028, topic:2656, full:true”]
Because even if we have a good relationship he likely won’t agree to marry his heir to the sister of a upstart and formerly poor baron. He might have plans for his heir and Cunaris be easier to work with after we twist his arm.[/quote]

But we’re no longer a poor baron, we’re the richest Earl in the Kingdom, richer than even Cunaris himself. We’re clearly a much better match than whatever plans he might already have. Are we an upstart? Maybe, but we’re rich upstart who he is on good personal terms with.

He’ll be easier to work with if he likes us. If we twist his arm, he’s going to look for a way out.

[quote=“Lancer, post:44028, topic:2656, full:true”]
Might have to be rough with him but after that we can try to get along. We could established a great alliance he be the political guy and I the muscle. For instance we can form a shipping company to sell cash crops I grow on his lands and at same time we can tap into the grain market by becoming a middleman and importing the grain. And have the dragoons deliver/ guard the foodstuffs to their destinations.[/quote]

It might be hard to get along with him after you lorded his debts over him and pretty much blackmailed and threatened him.

We don’t know enough about the sister’s personality to know if she’s ambitious enough or willing to manipulate her husband. Or even capable of learning that in the first place. You have to change strategy based on who you’re trying to control, and it’s unlikely Katarina has even met Renard.

If there’s one thing I’ve learnt, its never make demands. Outright. Nothing wrong with a few well-placed veiled demands.
Cunaris has nothing against my MC, personally, so I’d prefer to play to that strength rather than risk his approval going south.

Apart from sentimentality? They’re likely a lot more loyal to you, depending on your rep as a Dragoon, you know how they operate, what they can (and are willing) to do.
And if you’re using them for something less than legal, using Dragoons ends up leading back to Cunaris, I suppose.

[quote=“Ringleader, post:44030, topic:2656, full:true”]
If there’s one thing I’ve learnt, its never make demands. Outright. Nothing wrong with a few well-placed veiled demands.[/quote]

Which are basically the same thing. The thing about veiled demands is whoever you’re issuing the demand to has to be smart enough to recognize them, which means they already know you’re making demands. And if they don’t recognize them, then issuing them is pointless because they aren’t understood and therefore carry no weight.

Cunaris has nothing against my MC, personally, so I’d prefer to play to that strength rather than risk his approval going south.[/quote]

Exactly. Which is why you should treat him as a friend and an equal rather than an inferior you can push and boss around.

Apart from sentimentality? They’re likely a lot more loyal to you, depending on your rep as a Dragoon, you know how they operate, what they can (and are willing) to do.[/quote]

They’re more loyal to the man who pays them. And as the Earl of Leoniscourt, you have a lot of money to pay your own troops.

“And should you ever be tempted to sell me out, remember this - whatever the price, I’ll beat it. I like living!”
-Tyrion Lannister (let’s be honest here - intentional or not, the Cazarostas are basically the Lannisters.)

I seriously doubt Cunaris is just going to let you control part of his regiment without any questions asked. And I’m sure his vengeance will be swift and merciless if he finds out you used them for something illegal.

Also, I’m not sure what’s up with the quotes. Doesn’t look like I did anything wrong.

Related to politics and Cunaris and relationships:

Being known to be on good terms with Cunaris is also a good thing indirectly, in the sense that Cunaris - even if old fashioned - is not exactly a questionable figure.

The PC, is - at best - very newly established with no particular reputation to fall back on but what he’s earned personally.

Would you rather be an upstart, or an associate (even if emphatically a junior associate) of the Findlays?

Granted, this may apply less in different situations, but this was about how to profit via Cunaris, not how to restructure the power relationships of Tierra.

Actually, I’m not sure if my Cazarosta-Lannister comparison fits. At least the Lannisters paid their debts…

Conclusion: Cazarostas are more evil than Lannisters.

Maybe that’s why the Lannisters have three heirs and no money, while the Cazarostas have no heirs, and three money?

Well, they have no money in the show. But in the books, there is no substantial evidence that they are actually broke (I’ve only read the first book - everything else I have heard online from other book readers.) But meh, details.

I could see if there’s an MC who hacked off Renard during the secret mission, potentially calling in at least part of the debt, if Renard makes trouble?

It’s revealed by the fifth book that they’re mortgaged up to their eyeballs

I’m not overly familiar with debts, either IRL or in the Infiniverse, but I would imagine there’s something to stop you from just demanding full or partial repayment out of the blue, in defiance to any previous interest/repayment agreements, especially if they aren’t in a position to repay.

For instance, the letter at the end of Guns states that the banks can only forcibly repossess our property if we fail to meet the interest payment.

Please correct me if I’m wrong. Again, I’m not overly familiar with this.

It depends on your contract and the laws that protect creditors and debtors in the country. For example we talk about “going bankrupt,” but bankruptcy (in the modern sense) is actually a form of legal protection for a debtor that defaults. I highly doubt anything like that exists in Tierra.

At the same time as we see from the patreon articles if a creditor overcommits to a debtor with sufficient military power it’s basically becomes a “I’d like to see you try” situation. I expect Cunaris could probably default to Leoniscourt without much immediate consequence, but since he is running his Duchy on credit he’d have to cut back to break even. And of course no one would trust them with their money for a couple decades…

Considering that the persons involved are some of the most powerful nobles in the kingdom, how likely do you think it is that the crown would step in to mediate if Cunaris were to default on his debt?

Any theories on that mysterious and anonymous pamphlet that appeared on the streets of Aetoria, towards the end of the war.

“We ride in triumph, yet we are broken. We are bloated with glory, yet starving for want of bread. Victory will not save us, only peace will, and if our present King cannot get us peace, then perhaps we must find one who can.” Possible revolutionaries maybe?

…what.

No, seriously, where was that mentioned?

Alright, execute/assassinate Princess Isobel and the Duke of Warburton. Renard too, because he’s named after someone who previously wanted to rule all of Tierra.

Filthy rebels.

To be more serious, maybe there’s going to be a civil war?

Maybe we won’t actually be able to marry Katarina, but only end up her ‘mistress’, and she will always end up with the Duke of Warburton? Leoniscourt does seem extremely OP, after all. It would make sense that the Duke would champion Baneless rights at Katarina’s insistence, due to her Deathborn brother. Whereas Princess Isobel would champion Baneblood women’s rights, due to her involvement in ‘the circle.’

And Prince Miguel will push for his own reforms. Or maybe he will be assassinated, and that is what will kick the succession crisis off - a woman vs. a bastard. Maybe the Takarans will be the ones to do it, in order to further destabilize Tierra?

And then we’ll have to choose who to side with, weighing the various reforms against each other and deciding which ones are more important.

That’s my theory.

Edit: I mistakenly called Miguel a princess…