Guns of Infinity(Continuation)

low-fantasy
gender-locked-male

A supposedly impenetrable forrest.

Wulfram chose the battle site, but had to arrange the battle line before knowing where the Hussars were. His lack of scouts and the early morning fog both worked against him. Based on an apparently faulty surveying of the forest, Wulfram thought it impossible to traverse by heavy cavalry, so he instead simply assumed they’d be with the Antari light cavalry which had been spotted opposite the castle. That assumption was not entirely unreasonable given the limited and somewhat faulty information he had been provided, but it cost him the battle.

i guess wulfram’s low opinion of the dragoons prevented him from using them properly… they could’ve scouted the forested area since that’s their specialty… like the welle’s report said…

That was because he himself had countless experience than any other generals had, he conducted the war with his experience besides of practical uses. He thought that he had fooled Khorobirit entirely, but was his undoing.

Wulfram held us in a good opinion on the Dragoons’ abilities but not totally, as our regiment was never being tested in combat, nor having a long and prestigious history.

not like you could fault the old man for not assuming that Khorobirit could stash hundreds of Hussars in a thick forest generally known to be impassable by Tierrans and Antari alike. A short while before the battle with a precarious resource and manpower situation to boot.

That’s because he had never thought that can actually happen, he was expecting that Khorobirit is “foolish” enough to fall for his trap. He didn’t expect Khorobirit had learnt from the previous defeats and came up with something that had thrown him off entirely.

only thing he was foolish enough to do was set up the so called ‘trap’ of facing a larger, less accounted and anticipated army head-on in the first place, but that wasn’t a lesson Tierra learned until after 2K when they resorted to full-time guerilla tactics, Wulfram’s undoing wasn’t due to part of his shortcomings as a general or because he didn’t think to have the forests scouted but because of the orders of his king and the present situation of the society in which he lived in. Khorobirit’s main advantage in this regard was his complete autonomy and flexible present situation. In fact I daresay he (Wulfram) did a better job than any other contemporary or successor could have done at the time.

Wulfram’s undoing was he relied too heavily on his experience and not thinking about what his enemies would do in the next encounter.

Of course he did, he had completely outwitted Tierra’s greatest general of the time.

The thing you need to remember is also the circumstances of Wulfram. He was the first Tierran General since King Edwin the Strong to command the Royal Army into battle. Everything he did, was through his personal experience after five (5) years of war.

He did think about it, Antari war doctrine was that every Prince had command of his own force and they’d kind of do what they wanted with them. It was un-Antari to do what Khorobirit did. Namely, having all his Hussars fight under his personal command in one body. If anything, failure to discover that Khorobirit did this was a failure on RTI’s part.

His plan was formed on his personal experiences with the Antari and five years of planning and waging successful war against them. Khorobirit broke the mould on them and he did the best he could to try to keep the army alive. He made a critical mistake, but not all of it rests on him.

@Cataphrak, did II know about Khorobirit’s unified Church hussar command while RTI didn’t? Because I am curious that we had zero inkling of Hussars fighting under one banner.

Most likely if you ask me, Takara had Eckhart’s counterpart at Khorobirit’s army doing observations.

what exactly do you per se mean relied too much on experience? he was old and decorated which means he did something right in the past, he was a marine officer which almost wholly relies on tactical improvisation so it’s not like hiding cavalry in a forest was something he couldn’t imagine on the grounds of being way too clever, he simply didn’t have the time or means to have such a scarce possibility checked out, you can’t attribute such blame on one commander nor can you over compensate the victor with plaudits saying he totally outwitted Wulfram, you’re talking about hiding full-blooded, the most prestigious and feared antari cavalry in an impassable forest so they can strike at the flank of a smaller army especially under one banner, had Wulfram had the means and autonomy to engage in such tactics I can honestly tell you Khorobirit wouldn’t have ‘outwitted’ him in the sense you mean where it’s convenient to assign blame to one man’s failure to adapt and overcome in a situation that depends on way more variables than one’s own x based judgement as a general

You misunderstand me, Wulfram was the most experienced Tierran officer alive at this point. He was a daring marine officer in King Alaric’s War, he repulsed a Takaran commando attempt to seize the Tierran embassy, and he commanded the Marine Garrison of Leoniscourt. He then was handed an army that reached 22,000 men at its height and was told to see that they were equipped, trained, and run appropiately. He built the system to supply this army by himself, devised clever tactics to outwit and fool Antari armies, and managed to keep Tierra as a constant annoyance for five years before Blogia.

The problem with Wulfram wasn’t him personally, the problem is that he forced himself into a situation where he needed victory which meant that he needed to offer battle in a way that would bring Khorobirit to meet him, whilst still trying to give himself an advantage. Thus, why he chose Blogia to fight on. The ground was good, a forest to anchor his right flank, a castle to anchor his left, and a commanding ridge to put his guns and Line on. Wulfram did everything right with what he knew the problem was, understandably, he never foresaw that Khorobirit would have the world’s best cavalry under one command and charge out of the forest he assumed was impassable for large scale cavalry manoeuvres. One can argue he should have units in the forest and the like, but most likely all it would have done is made Tourbridge form square earlier and allow him to try to move his cavalry into a position where they can try to whittle them down with combined musket fire and a cavalry charge. But, even then, it would have been a toss-up.

That’s why my point is that Wulfram did his best with what he knew and what he had. It wasn’t enough to win Blogia, but the defeat did serve a purpose of prompting immediate reforms on areas they could fix.

I agree with everything you’re saying but this tendency of people attributing Tierra’s loss at Blogia with Wulfram lacking in qualities as a general is just narrow thinking, like you mentioned he forced himself into a battle because of Miguel’s orders and win or face dismissal from his post. It wasn’t his inadequate or flawed experience or Khorobirit’s superior wit that caused the loss as some people keep saying

@Cataphrak

Question, what’s the League of Antar’s monetary currency?

The problem with war is that you never have perfect battlefield intelligence. You have to make the best decisions you can based on the incomplete and often faulty information you have, and hope that what you don’t know isn’t sufficient to doom you and your troops. Otherwise you’ll be continually avoiding battle, paralyzed by fear of all the unknowns that could cause your plans to go disastrously wrong.

As such, I don’t fault Wulfram for his generalship during the battle. His only real failing was in not recognizing the need for and authorizing the creation of ad-hoc scouting units much earlier in the campaign, so that they would have been available to deploy as scouts to the forest before the hussars arrived. And that’s a pretty easy one to understand since he had little motivation to change a formula that had proven sufficient to win every single one of his previous battles. Unfortunately that formula didn’t fail until the battle he needed to win the most.

I can think of another thing to blame - personally leading the cavalry brigade (and his regiment).

Leaving aside whether or not an army commander should be risking his head, one cannot manage both a brigade and the entire army at the same time.

The thing is, I don’t think he understood the concept of Light Infantry. “That’s why I have cavalry” is an apt response for blocking Light Infantry until Blogia happened and even then, I think being in the Experimentals is considered as bad as being an engineer.

The Antari don’t have a legal tender. Every lord who can afford to mints their own coin, and trades based on monetary value.

Needless to say, commerce is pretty perilous within the League.

Does that cause most of what commerce that does exist to be conducted more through bartering and in kind rather than in coinage?

Absolutely. Trade in kind is more or less how anyone who isn’t a representative of a noble house does things. Precious metals in more or less agreed-upon sizes is just easier when doing high-value transactions.

That too, but given Tierra’s cult of heroic martyrdom, that would have been a hard tradition for him to change without sacrificing much of his credibility and potentially hurting morale. The King needs to make that a royal order so his lieutenant General doesn’t end up looking like an honorless coward for not getting out in front and leading as everyone expects.

Agreed. I suspect that he preferred cavalry as scouts due to their superior mobility. That’s fine until you find yourself needing to scout an area where cavalry find it very difficult to operate, say like a forest.