Guns of Infinity(Continuation)

low-fantasy
gender-locked-male

I hate to say it buddy but uh…

You did.

Well that if they cheat or try to use the bane on their opponents to make them sick or blow them up before the event.

Maybe if we make them swear oaths to their tree god not to cheat they could join.

NoTrust

Since the biggest problem with the elves is that their prime lasts longer than that of a human being, it’s easy to counter their advantages.

1. No use of the Bane during the competition.
  2. Age limits.

How do we deal with the Kian aggressively developing steroids in order to remain competitive with the elves?

Yeah. My inclination is that if you build up enough of a relationship with him he notes that you’re not just another baneblooded annoyance, you’re a baneblooded annoyance he works well with.

And if everything else about Cazarosta is tolerable, it seems worth cutting him a little slack about this instead of assuming that he’s entirely awful for not being able to do proper friendship is hopefully clearer than how I first wrote it.

“I thought that we were of like mind. Now I can see that you aren’t actually as close to me as I thought you were.”

Or as he puts it:

Cazarosta seems none too pleased. “I believed that you would be willing to do what is necessary to ensure the destruction of one of Tierra’s enemies,” he replies as he takes the weapon back. “Now, I must be forced to accept that there are limits to your loyalty to the Crown.”

is interesting as relates to why you’re here.

It is cruelly terrible that “You’re not as close to me as I thought you were” and “I must accept that there are limits on your loyalty to the Crown” are potentially both true.

But Caius d’al Cazarosta is not a man comfortable with acknowledging his emotions, and the former sounds too much like something someone who isn’t afraid of not being completely stoic all the time would say.

I usually capture Aleksandra if I go on the secret mission.

I usually kill her to save Marion, he always ends up dying when I try to capture the princess.

Some of my characters are materialistic weasels. She’s worth more alive than dead.

That’s what I did with Nico, but with Arturo, he managed to set aside his own moral compunctions long enough to gun down a teenage girl.

He doesn’t exactly feel great about the whole thing.

@Gustavo47 If I recall correctly, you have to have ludicrously high Soldiering and Charisma (something like 70/80) to succeed at capturing her with minimal casualties. Wearing your knightly kit lowers the Soldiering requirement to 50, and I believe having full mastery of Antari lowers the Charisma requirement to 60. Still steep, but much more manageable.

You also need 65 Discipline to break the Hussar charge.

I don’t think there’s actually a way to save Marion and the Sergeant, though.

The “Sports” post, if you wanted to see it in full:

Upper class sports tend to be the ones that require a certain level of education and wealth to maintain: you need a horse for hunting, a sword and padding for fencing, a dovecote and birds for falconry. The exception is probably archery. A good bow made with Butean wood and shaped by a certified Takaran master will still run you about 100-200 crown, but workshops turn them out cheap in Tierra for a fraction of that price. Jousts and melees are more of a formalised spectator sport than anything else.

The truly extravagant race phaetons, which are fast, one-seat carriages (more like chariots, really) pulled by a very fast horse. Wrecks are common, as are injuries, but young men (and sometimes women) with too much money and not enough sense do it anyhow.

Most lower class sports tend to be some variation of punching someone else in the face: fist-fighting, wrestling and football (Tierran football is a lot like American football with no set fields and a spherical ball). The only exception to that rule is probably tennis, which requires relatively rudimentary implements, but also does not involve punching someone else in the face.

No baseball though. Stylistic similarities aside, I am not David Weber.

I take it young noblewomen like to hawk? I can imagine Welles and Katarina doing that.

Lady Katarina was raised on an island. She didn’t do sports.
Lady Welles was raised the green fields of Warburton. She hawks, shoots, fences, and even tried Phaeton racing once, before her dad talked her out of it.

I’m starting to get the impression that the Earl of Welles thought that his daughter acting unconventionally was a good thing.

None of that is really all that unconventional. Ladies of the blood are expected to at least know how to hawk and shoot, and in the eyes of most, a lady being able to ride well is an unambiguously positive trait. If nothing, it means she has a strong constitution.

Is it too much to ask if Princess Isobel does any of these things?

Didn’t you say that she can ride astride as well as sidesaddle, though?

I’m not sure if I’m dreading or looking forward to “You realize that Lady Welles is actually better than you at this too.” (like with her being very well read) when we get into the areas of her strengths.

Princess Isobel actually doesn’t, which means that she, like Lady Katarina, are sort of seen as not quite proper - more so in the latter’s case since she actually has a job.

I did. It’s hard to practice with a sabre riding side-saddle, which is beyond the norm.

How about Antari noblewomen? Do they do anything in particular? Princess Khorobirit showed off that she did have some knowledge in fencing so they probably do similar things. I’m just curious to learn a bit about what they do in their leisure time.